"No space left on device"

Post by Wen-Ying Huan » Mon, 14 Apr 1997 04:00:00

Hi,

I'm having the following trouble:

I installed A, D and K sets of the Slackware 3.1.0: basic Linux,
development (including gcc, etc) and kernel source. My Linux partition
has 83MB. I recompiled it with no PCI bios support since my machine
hangs if I boot with PCI bios support. When I do "make dep", I got
the following message:
gcc -I/usr/src/linux-2.0.27/include -O2 -fomit-frame-pointer -o
scripts/mkdep scripts/mkdep.c
cpp: /tmp/cca00091.i: No space left on device
make: *** [scripts/mkdep] Error1

When I boot with an older version boot image and write at the Lilo
boot prompt: mount root=/dev/hda3, I also got "/etc/rc.d/rc.S:
134822520: No space left on device" message.

The total disk space used by A, D and K sets should be about
27x1.4MB = 37.8MB. I don't understand why I got the above message.

Any clue will be very much appreciated!

--wenying

"No space left on device"

Post by John Gluc » Tue, 15 Apr 1997 04:00:00

> Hi,

> I'm having the following trouble:

> I installed A, D and K sets of the Slackware 3.1.0: basic Linux,
> development (including gcc, etc) and kernel source. My Linux partition
> has 83MB. I recompiled it with no PCI bios support since my machine
> hangs if I boot with PCI bios support. When I do "make dep", I got
> the following message:
> gcc -I/usr/src/linux-2.0.27/include -O2 -fomit-frame-pointer -o
> scripts/mkdep scripts/mkdep.c
> cpp: /tmp/cca00091.i: No space left on device
> make: *** [scripts/mkdep] Error1

> When I boot with an older version boot image and write at the Lilo
> boot prompt: mount root=/dev/hda3, I also got "/etc/rc.d/rc.S:
> 134822520: No space left on device" message.

> The total disk space used by A, D and K sets should be about
> 27x1.4MB = 37.8MB. I don't understand why I got the above message.

> Any clue will be very much appreciated!

> --wenying

Hi

83Meg is very small if you plan to do anything useful with your system.
When you try to compile your kernel each source file make an object
file.
Groups of those object files make libraries. etc etc

This all takes a lot of space. My linux drive is 1Gig and it about 73%
full. It would be worse except I keep cleaning out things that I don't
need

John Gluck

"No space left on device"

Post by James Youngm » Wed, 16 Apr 1997 04:00:00

says...

Quote:>------------------------------------------------------------------
>gcc -I/usr/src/linux-2.0.27/include -O2 -fomit-frame-pointer -o
>scripts/mkdep scripts/mkdep.c
>cpp: /tmp/cca00091.i: No space left on device
>make: *** [scripts/mkdep] Error1
>The total disk space used by A, D and K sets should be about
>27x1.4MB = 37.8MB. I don't understand why I got the above message.

Yes, but that's 38Mb, *compressed*.

--
James Youngman       VG Gas Analysis Systems  The trouble with the rat-race
Before sending advertising material, read     is, even if you win, you're

"No space left on device"

Post by Hans-Joachim Baad » Fri, 18 Apr 1997 04:00:00

Quote:>gcc -I/usr/src/linux-2.0.27/include -O2 -fomit-frame-pointer -o
>scripts/mkdep scripts/mkdep.c
>cpp: /tmp/cca00091.i: No space left on device

It means that the space is right on the device, right now :-)

Seriously, a kernel tree needs about 25 MB before compilation,
and up to 45 MB after compilation.

Hans-Joachim
--
    Uncle Ed's Rule of Thumb:  Never use your thumb for a rule.
    You'll either hit it with a hammer or get a splinter in it.

1. "semget: No space left on device"

On a server built from a 1.3b6-dev source about 3 weeks ago running on
IRIX 6.2, tonight the server would not start.  Nothing.   Just this in the
error log
 semget: No space left on device
(can't be referring to disk space, file systems have plenty...)
So it's just about time to ask, "Why is this night different from any
other night?  This httpd started fine on all of the prior 20  or so prior
nights but on this one we must reboot."

bleh, wassup?
-Ian

--

"Like so many Americans, she was trying to construct a life that made
sense from things she found in gift shops."

2. IDE CD-ROM Problem solved!

3. RH 7.2: mkbootdisk fails, "No space left on device"

4. Unix self-learning book?????

5. Help: "No space left on device"

6. 2 newbie ?s. df and ps in SLS

7. users [not root] get "no space left on device error"..???

8. [Fwd: Re: Re: Problem connecting from mswindows to linux]

9. "No space left on device"

10. ftape: "no space left on device" for multi-tape afio

11. Mail error - "No space left on device" - HELP

12. Capacity 3% BUT "no space left of device"?

13. "No space left on device"