Imation superdisk

Post by Ned Lath » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

I had to remove the floppy drive from my box in order to make
room for the superdisk, but it never seemed a problem, because
it can read and write floppies anyway, and boot from them if
need be. But today I did a reinstall, and got a little surprise:
I can't create a boot image on it, and I can't format floppies
on it. And, of course, I can't create a boot disk.

Does anyone know whether there's a way to do these things?

--
Ned   ++++++   Democracy means "the people rule".
To reply, cut out my nose and make the met a net.

Imation superdisk

Post by Pete » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Quote:>I had to remove the floppy drive from my box in order to make
>room for the superdisk, but it never seemed a problem, because
>it can read and write floppies anyway, and boot from them if
>need be. But today I did a reinstall, and got a little surprise:
>I can't create a boot image on it, and I can't format floppies
>on it. And, of course, I can't create a boot disk.

>Does anyone know whether there's a way to do these things?

I am interested in the reply. I have some NT boxes about to go Linux
and all have LS120s instead of floppies. NT 4.0 creates all sorts of
installation headaches around LS120s. Sometimes I temporarily plug in
a floppy. Sometimes I pre load the disk from DOS.

If MS had done what most software companies do and just brought out up
to date CDs, the whole problem would be fixed. Linux suppliers seem
more responsive.

 If Linux is more up to date with LS120s, it is another reason to
change.

Imation superdisk

Post by Ned Lath » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

> > I had to remove the floppy drive from my box in order to make
> > room for the superdisk, but it never seemed a problem, because
> > it can read and write floppies anyway, and boot from them if
> > need be. But today I did a reinstall, and got a little surprise:
> > I can't create a boot image on it, and I can't format floppies
> > on it. And, of course, I can't create a boot disk.

> > Does anyone know whether there's a way to do these things?

> I am interested in the reply. I have some NT boxes about to go Linux
> and all have LS120s instead of floppies. NT 4.0 creates all sorts of
> installation headaches around LS120s. Sometimes I temporarily plug in
> a floppy. Sometimes I pre load the disk from DOS.

Temporarily plugging in a floppy is the only solution I've thought of:
it works ok, but it's a hassle.

----snip----

--
Ned   ++++++   Democracy means "the people rule".
To reply, cut out my nose and make the met a net.

Imation superdisk

Post by Pete » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

>On Sun, 23 Apr 2000 11:31:42 +1000, Peter

>>I am interested in the reply. I have some NT boxes about to go Linux
>>and all have LS120s instead of floppies. NT 4.0 creates all sorts of
>>installation headaches around LS120s. Sometimes I temporarily plug in
>>a floppy. Sometimes I pre load the disk from DOS.

>>If MS had done what most software companies do and just brought out up
>>to date CDs, the whole problem would be fixed. Linux suppliers seem
>>more responsive.

>> If Linux is more up to date with LS120s, it is another reason to
>>change.

>What's the problem?  Boot off the NT CDROM.  I routinely do so and
>never even touch the floppy (or LS120) drive.

I will walk through the NT problem. I am interested if the Linux
CDs/install has a better approach.

1/ NT 4.0 CD does not contain drivers for FASTTRAK and other devices.

2/ During the install, NT lets you load new drivers from floppy.

3/ NT 4.0 does not recognise LS120 so I have to plug in ancient
floppy.

If MS had brought out low cost NT updates with service packs pre
installed, I could have used NT 4.4 instead of 4.0. 4.0 with service
pack 4 seems to recognise the LS120. I could then use the LS120 to
supply the extra device driver.

As the device driver is required to access the hard disks on which NT
is about to be installed, the drivers have to go in at that stage.

An alternative was to boot DOS, copy the NT 4.0 CD to the RAID array,
mangle the NT installation files to pick up the device driver then
install disk to disk.

I used to do the disk mangle process a lot for customers stuck with
Compaq and other problem installation CDs. Microsoft's "automated"
installation customisation process required a successful install to
generate the files required to successfully install.

Peter

Imation superdisk

Post by Leon Gard » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Quote:> I had to remove the floppy drive from my box in order to make
> room for the superdisk, but it never seemed a problem, because
> it can read and write floppies anyway, and boot from them if
> need be. But today I did a reinstall, and got a little surprise:
> I can't create a boot image on it, and I can't format floppies
> on it. And, of course, I can't create a boot disk.

but thats because the superdrive   (it its not a scsi version)
appears in linux as /dev/hdX not /dev/fd0 .
(eg /dev/hdc)

The linux scripts dont know about this...
neither does  fdformat (You cant do low level format ?
or its a special atapi command .... )

you can use mkdosfs... mkdosfs -F 32 /dev/hdc
you can use dd .. or cp .. .. or cat.. to put the image
of the boot floppy onto the disk

eg dd if=boot.img of=/dev/hdc

Perhaps the distributions should  have support for these added.

leon

Imation superdisk

Post by David Guyme » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

> > I had to remove the floppy drive from my box in order to make
> > room for the superdisk, but it never seemed a problem, because
> > it can read and write floppies anyway, and boot from them if
> > need be. But today I did a reinstall, and got a little surprise:
> > I can't create a boot image on it, and I can't format floppies
> > on it. And, of course, I can't create a boot disk.

> but thats because the superdrive   (it its not a scsi version)
> appears in linux as /dev/hdX not /dev/fd0 .
> (eg /dev/hdc)

> The linux scripts dont know about this...
> neither does  fdformat (You cant do low level format ?
> or its a special atapi command .... )

> you can use mkdosfs... mkdosfs -F 32 /dev/hdc
> you can use dd .. or cp .. .. or cat.. to put the image
> of the boot floppy onto the disk

> eg dd if=boot.img of=/dev/hdc

> Perhaps the distributions should  have support for these added.

> leon

I am using an LS-120 drive at hdb. To enable it to work it was necessary to include IDE
floppy support when making a new kernel. It may be possible to add this as a module though
I am not sure how. What version of kernel are you using?

David G.

Imation superdisk

Post by Ned Lath » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

> > I had to remove the floppy drive from my box in order to make
> > room for the superdisk, but it never seemed a problem, because
> > it can read and write floppies anyway, and boot from them if
> > need be. But today I did a reinstall, and got a little surprise:
> > I can't create a boot image on it, and I can't format floppies
> > on it. And, of course, I can't create a boot disk.

Actually, there are two problems: I can't do a low-level format because
fdformat won't use /dev/hdx, and I can't write images with dd because
the drive's too slow: dd times out.

Quote:> I am using an LS-120 drive at hdb. To enable it to work it was
> necessary to include IDE floppy support when making a new kernel.
> It may be possible to add this as a module though I am not sure
> how. What version of kernel are you using?

Mine's hdd: kernel 2.0.36. It came with ATAPI support.