Problem with my Bus Mouse

Post by plamber.. » Mon, 09 Jun 1997 04:00:00

I've got a nice, Mouse Systems PS/2 mouse plugged into my PS/2 mouse port.
X doesn't like my video card, so I haven't even gotten that far.  However,
the console mouse program doesn't like it at all--the pointer moves when
I move the mouse, but often snaps back to the lower-left corner, or jumps
to the left side.  It does this often enough that it is unusable.

Anyone have any suggestions?  Has anyone seen this behavior before?

--Paul L.

Problem with my Bus Mouse

Post by Bob Niels » Mon, 09 Jun 1997 04:00:00

>I've got a nice, Mouse Systems PS/2 mouse plugged into my PS/2 mouse port.
>X doesn't like my video card, so I haven't even gotten that far.  However,
>the console mouse program doesn't like it at all--the pointer moves when
>I move the mouse, but often snaps back to the lower-left corner, or jumps
>to the left side.  It does this often enough that it is unusable.

>Anyone have any suggestions?  Has anyone seen this behavior before?

>--Paul L.

Do you have support for this mouse compiled into your kernel?

What does 'ls -al /dev/mouse' say?

--

                            http://www.primenet.com/~nielsen

Problem with my Bus Mouse

Post by plamber.. » Tue, 10 Jun 1997 04:00:00

Quote:> Do you have support for this mouse compiled into your kernel?
> What does 'ls -al /dev/mouse' say?

I'm using the default kernel installed with RedHat 4.2, which I believe
does have busmouse support.  /dev/mouse is a link to /dev/psaux which is
also correct, I believe.

Tell me where I'm wrong. :-)

--Paul

Problem with my Bus Mouse

Post by M. Buchenried » Tue, 10 Jun 1997 04:00:00

>I've got a nice, Mouse Systems PS/2 mouse plugged into my PS/2 mouse port.
>X doesn't like my video card, so I haven't even gotten that far.  However,
>the console mouse program doesn't like it at all--the pointer moves when
>I move the mouse, but often snaps back to the lower-left corner, or jumps
>to the left side.  It does this often enough that it is unusable.
>Anyone have any suggestions?  Has anyone seen this behavior before?

a) This is not a BusMouse, but a PS/2 mouse
b) /dev/mouse has to be a link to /dev/psaux
c) You'll need to recompile the kernel to include support
   for the PS/2 mouse device

Michael

Portable, adj.:
                          Survives system reboot.

1. Problems switching from bus mouse to serial

I'm running the Slackware 3.0 version of Linux 2.0.0 on a 66 MHz Pentium
with 48Meg of RAM.

I recently purchased a Kensington Expert Mouse (trackball).  Previously
I had a Logitech bus mouse which worked fine under Linux.  I can't
figure out how to reconfigure Linux and X to use the new device.  I had
to replace the old bus mouse card with a "serial card" which comes with
the "bus" version of the Kensington device and which I configured for
IRQ 5 and address 338 (this works in Windows 3.11).  This serial card
just provides another serial port (my other 2 are in use) and the
trackball emulates the Microsoft protocol at 1200 baud.

* I changed /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/XF86Config pointer section to a new
Protocol "Microsoft" (was "Busmouse") and left Device as "/dev/mouse".
I added a line "BaudRate 1200".

* I edited /etc/rc.d/rc.modules to enable "/sbin/modprobe mouse" (was
"/sbin/modprobe busmouse").

* I changed the symbolic link in /dev/mouse to point to "/dev/cua4".

* I edited /etc/rc.d/rc.serial to add a line:
${SETSERIAL} /dev/cua4 uart 16550 port 0x338 irq5 and ran the rc.serial
script.

It doesn't work!  When I boot, I see the message: "Can't locate module
mouse."  I DO see the list of serial ports with cua4 set properly.  If I
startx, I get the X background color; but no sign of a mouse and I have
to reset to get out of the lockup.

Does anybody have any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

Dick Allen

2. Configuring Sound Blaster Live

3. Bus Mouse - MS Inport Bus mouse will not work

4. cmsg cancel <2jc9vvF106jrjU1@uni-berlin.de>

5. Installing a Network Printer

6. Mouse Systems PC Mouse 3D/6D Bus Mouse driver?

7. WTB: Linux Journal Back Issues

8. HELP: Microsoft bus mouse problem, and X problem.

9. Is an InPort Mouse a Bus Mouse?

10. HELP: Can I use a serial mouse rather than bus mouse?

11. Kensington Expert Mouse changing from Logitech bus mouse

12. Bus/InPort Mouse problems! Argh!