can not use backspace and delete key

Post by CARL LI » Sat, 20 Feb 1999 04:00:00

I am using Redhat 5.2 and kernel 2.2.1
I do not know what is wrong with my keyboard. It was alright yesterday.

When I try to use backspace or delete key to delete the last typed
character, the cursor does not move, much less erase it. it only can
erase the character in front of the cursor.
it only happen on processor or windows programs, such as Wordperfect 8,
Netscape, and all email programs ...etc.
It does not happen on terminal, vi editor, and emacs.

what should I do?

Thanks

can not use backspace and delete key

Post by David A. Frant » Sun, 21 Feb 1999 04:00:00

Make sure the keyboard compiler is set up right.    When you start up X a
bunch of messages should be logged to a file, find that and lookd for
anything that is an error related to the keyboard.    Also I may be a good
idea to run xconfig or one of the other configuraton programs and verify
that every thinng is set up right.

dave

>I am using Redhat 5.2 and kernel 2.2.1
>I do not know what is wrong with my keyboard. It was alright yesterday.

>When I try to use backspace or delete key to delete the last typed
>character, the cursor does not move, much less erase it. it only can
>erase the character in front of the cursor.
>it only happen on processor or windows programs, such as Wordperfect 8,
>Netscape, and all email programs ...etc.
>It does not happen on terminal, vi editor, and emacs.

>what should I do?

>Thanks

can not use backspace and delete key

Post by M » Fri, 26 Feb 1999 04:00:00

When the calendar showed "Fri, 19 Feb 1999 22:32:10 +0000", the lazy "CARL LIN

Quote:>I am using Redhat 5.2 and kernel 2.2.1
>I do not know what is wrong with my keyboard. It was alright yesterday.

>When I try to use backspace or delete key to delete the last typed
>character, the cursor does not move, much less erase it. it only can
>erase the character in front of the cursor.
>it only happen on processor or windows programs, such as Wordperfect 8,
>Netscape, and all email programs ...etc.
>It does not happen on terminal, vi editor, and emacs.

>what should I do?

I have exactly the same problem, man! Did you success solving it? The only
difference is that my backspace or del keys didn't work even in the RH5.2 with
2.0.36. I hoped what with the 2.2.1 kernel I'd have no more such problems... but
it's still like before :(

please, somebody help us!

bye

MS^tCF98/BL98/ICE98

ICQ UIN:20712139 (theEraser)

Post by Yair Pa » Fri, 26 Feb 1999 04:00:00

> >When I try to use backspace or delete key to delete the last typed
> >character, the cursor does not move, much less erase it. it only can
> >erase the character in front of the cursor.
> >it only happen on processor or windows programs, such as Wordperfect 8,
> >Netscape, and all email programs ...etc.
> >It does not happen on terminal, vi editor, and emacs.

> I have exactly the same problem, man! Did you success solving it? The only
> difference is that my backspace or del keys didn't work even in the RH5.2 with
> 2.0.36. I hoped what with the 2.2.1 kernel I'd have no more such problems... but
> it's still like before :(

I have the same problem with RH5.1 and RH5.2 . I don't think it's a bug
- I think it's a 'feature' ;-)
I would appreciate if someone can tell me how to make it work normally.
Oded

Post by Kent Frii » Sun, 28 Feb 1999 04:00:00

> > >When I try to use backspace or delete key to delete the last typed
> > >character, the cursor does not move, much less erase it. it only can
> > >erase the character in front of the cursor.
> > >it only happen on processor or windows programs, such as Wordperfect 8,
> > >Netscape, and all email programs ...etc.
> > >It does not happen on terminal, vi editor, and emacs.

> > I have exactly the same problem, man! Did you success solving it? The only
> > difference is that my backspace or del keys didn't work even in the RH5.2 with
> > 2.0.36. I hoped what with the 2.2.1 kernel I'd have no more such problems... but
> > it's still like before :(

> I have the same problem with RH5.1 and RH5.2 . I don't think it's a bug
> - I think it's a 'feature' ;-)
> I would appreciate if someone can tell me how to make it work normally.
> Oded

xmodmap -e "keycode 22 = BackSpace BackSpace"

should do the trick for X programs. You'd better insert it into your
.xsession or .xinitrc, so that you won't need to type it again
the next time you turn on the computer.

However, I would recommend that you take a look at your keyboard
setup - this is where it goes wrong in the first place.

Kent

can not use backspace and delete key

Post by Zak McKracke » Mon, 01 Mar 1999 04:00:00

sorry that this isn't going to be much help coz i can't remember _exactly_
how it was that i did it, but it was a setting in the config setup for x???
as in you had to specify a specific type of keyboard, and that set it up for
me ... i think it was something like changing the kb type from 101 to 102 or
something silly like that unless someone else can help ....

ahh found it ... i think its XF86Setup, but i'm not sure if it was just that
or an update to the X servers that did it or not? you guys got the latest
(post RH 5.2)

>> >When I try to use backspace or delete key to delete the last typed
>> >character, the cursor does not move, much less erase it. it only can
>> >erase the character in front of the cursor.
>> >it only happen on processor or windows programs, such as Wordperfect 8,
>> >Netscape, and all email programs ...etc.
>> >It does not happen on terminal, vi editor, and emacs.

>> I have exactly the same problem, man! Did you success solving it? The
only
>> difference is that my backspace or del keys didn't work even in the RH5.2
with
>> 2.0.36. I hoped what with the 2.2.1 kernel I'd have no more such
problems... but
>> it's still like before :(

>I have the same problem with RH5.1 and RH5.2 . I don't think it's a bug
>- I think it's a 'feature' ;-)
>I would appreciate if someone can tell me how to make it work normally.
>Oded

can not use backspace and delete key

Post by Joel » Fri, 23 Apr 1999 04:00:00

Hmm, whats wrong with  "stty erase ^h" ? (hit backspace key inplace of
the ^h)

Then follow that with "stty echoe"

> sorry that this isn't going to be much help coz i can't remember _exactly_
> how it was that i did it, but it was a setting in the config setup for x???
> as in you had to specify a specific type of keyboard, and that set it up for
> me ... i think it was something like changing the kb type from 101 to 102 or
> something silly like that unless someone else can help ....

> ahh found it ... i think its XF86Setup, but i'm not sure if it was just that
> or an update to the X servers that did it or not? you guys got the latest
> (post RH 5.2)

> >> I have exactly the same problem, man! Did you success solving it? The
> only
> >> difference is that my backspace or del keys didn't work even in the RH5.2
> with
> >> 2.0.36. I hoped what with the 2.2.1 kernel I'd have no more such
> problems... but
> >> it's still like before :(

> >I have the same problem with RH5.1 and RH5.2 . I don't think it's a bug
> >- I think it's a 'feature' ;-)
> >I would appreciate if someone can tell me how to make it work normally.
> >Oded

1. newbie question: backspace key in Netscape is acting like the delete key

<if this is a repeat I apologize, for some reason the campus news server is
acting up and none of my posts went through...>

whenever I hit the backspace key in Netscape 405 it deleted the
character to the right of the cursor, basically acting like the delete
key.  This only seems to occur in Netscape.  If you have any ideas on
how to fix this, I would greatly appreciate it.  thanks ahead of time.

//Pascal

ps: running RedHat 5.0

2. why I cann't enter "/" dictionary?

3. X11: Backspace key same as delete key? Solution?

4. ignore

5. backspace key is behaving like a delete key

6. Programmer needed-Search replace job

7. backspace and delete keys do not function under RH7

8. Can LILO boot images from different disks?

9. backspace does delete not backspace

10. how to set backspace as backspace, not delete?

11. Remapping Keys (want delete key to delete etc!)

12. Delete & Backspace key identical. What gives?

13. X, bash, delete/backspace keys