Setting up a Cardinal modem

Post by Ed Collin » Sat, 24 Feb 2001 12:28:59

Hello, there

I'm trying to install a Cardinal modem into a 486 and cannot get it to work.
The initialization string will not execute in minicom, and I cannot type in
a AT command.

The config is:

    serial device:  /dev/ttyS3
    BPS/Par/Bits:    115200 8N1

Hardware and software

    486DX-66
    20MByte of Ram
    Red Hat Linux (Kernel 2.2.5-15)
    Cardinal 28.8IV with voice.

I would certainly appreciate anyone's advice.

ed collins

Setting up a Cardinal modem

Post by Gene Hesket » Sat, 24 Feb 2001 15:17:47

Gene Heskett sends Greetings to Ed Collins;

 EC> Hello, there

 EC> I'm trying to install a Cardinal modem into a 486 and cannot get
 EC> it to work. The initialization string will not execute in
 EC> minicom, and I cannot type in a AT command.

 EC> The config is:

 EC>     serial device:  /dev/ttyS3
 EC>     BPS/Par/Bits:    115200 8N1

 EC> Hardware and software

 EC>     486DX-66
 EC>     20MByte of Ram
 EC>     Red Hat Linux (Kernel 2.2.5-15)
 EC>     Cardinal 28.8IV with voice.

 EC> I would certainly appreciate anyone's advice.

I had a Cardinal 33.6k external several years back now, and while I was
very impressed with its less than 1 watt power consumption and its
flashability, I also found that its flashability may have been its
downfall, as in short memory life.

The first time I flashed it from 28.8 to 33.6 it ran happily for about 6
months, then started having trouble negotiating, so I reflashed it again
after checking their site for a newer upgrade file but found none.  That
flash lasted about a month, the next one about a week, at which point I
bought a 56k dual mode Zoom, an early one that also needed flashed right
away, bug fixes and such.

That was 3+ years ago, and it hasn't been touched since.  It will
renegotiate downward depending on the last weeks weather history,
sometimes to around 14.4, but I *know* how much water is in my phone
lines, cause I'm the one that dug them up here and there.  I also hear
it on the voice pair in the same cable.  ):

Cheers, Gene
--

        email gene underscore heskett at iolinc dot net
#Amiga based X10 home automation program EZHome, see at:#

1. stty/modem/pppd settings with Cardinal inetrnal modem

Hi,

I am not sure if it is the modem setting or just the modem of the other
end of my PPP connection. But I always get Errors in the receive-line of
ifconfig and the transmission is very slow 1,1 KB/s instead of 3,2 KB/s.
I screwed around with the setup of the serial-port stty, the option file
of pppd and the Modem that I am now totally confused.

I have a Cardinal internal modem.

Can someone help me and send the modem init-strings, stty settings and
the option file of pppd ?
Email would the best...

Thanks !

Frank Siepmann

2. Extra ACKs if thru IP Tunnel ?

3. Shape Ups,Men's Shape Ups,Men's Skechers Shape Ups - new styles!

4. X-86 newsgroup

5. Anybody using Cardinal modems to dial-in ?

6. 32-bit user ids?

7. Cardinal 14.4 Modem and Solaris 2.4 for x86

8. HP Vetctra can't boot RH6.0 floppy

9. cardinal modem and isapnp

10. cardinal x2 modem

11. cardinal modem