XWindows won't start

Post by Antonius Herry Sukard » Thu, 01 Nov 2001 22:47:57

Hi,

I have a box running RH 6.2.  Initially I set it up as a server and
naturally installed without the X Windows, but now I want to add the X,
and start to install it from the RH 6.2 CDROM.  I think I have installed
everything that is pertaining to my machine (running Creative RIVA TNT2)
eg. X11R6, a lot of XFREE86 stuff, and also the font server.  My machine
even already start the Font Server upon boot.  However when I try to run
startx this is the message I got:
execve failed for /etc/X11/X (errno 2)
xinit: connection refused (errno 111) unable to connect to X Server

I wonder what other server I need to run before I can run the XWindows
?  By the way I was able to run the text-based configuration tool
xf86config and able to create the XF86Config file.  However when I try
to run the XF86Setup it gave me error about some xinitrc files that are
missing.

What am I missing ?  Can anybody help please....?

Thanks

XWindows won't start

Post by echelon playstatio » Fri, 02 Nov 2001 06:44:18

> Hi,

> I have a box running RH 6.2.  Initially I set it up as a server and
> naturally installed without the X Windows, but now I want to add the X,
> and start to install it from the RH 6.2 CDROM.  I think I have installed
> everything that is pertaining to my machine (running Creative RIVA TNT2)
> eg. X11R6, a lot of XFREE86 stuff, and also the font server.  My machine
> even already start the Font Server upon boot.  However when I try to run
> startx this is the message I got:

Quote:> What am I missing ?  Can anybody help please....?

you need to 'create' the .xinitrc file using a text edit.
For a system wide file it goes in /etc/X11R6/lib/xinit/.xinitrc or put it
in your home directory.
I have one in my home directory that just says
startkde
Maybe yours would be startx
It only has one word. All the best
everything i have is on loan from a higher power

XWindows won't start

Post by Antonius Herry Sukard » Fri, 02 Nov 2001 17:05:31

Thank You.  I finally found out what the problem was.  The X file had not been
moved to /etc/X11 from /usr/X11R6/bin.  After that was moved everything was
fine. Thanks for your help.  By the way I like your motto... :)

> > Hi,

> > I have a box running RH 6.2.  Initially I set it up as a server and
> > naturally installed without the X Windows, but now I want to add the X,
> > and start to install it from the RH 6.2 CDROM.  I think I have installed
> > everything that is pertaining to my machine (running Creative RIVA TNT2)
> > eg. X11R6, a lot of XFREE86 stuff, and also the font server.  My machine
> > even already start the Font Server upon boot.  However when I try to run
> > startx this is the message I got:
> > What am I missing ?  Can anybody help please....?

> you need to 'create' the .xinitrc file using a text edit.
> For a system wide file it goes in /etc/X11R6/lib/xinit/.xinitrc or put it
> in your home directory.
> I have one in my home directory that just says
> startkde
> Maybe yours would be startx
> It only has one word. All the best
> everything i have is on loan from a higher power

1. Xwindows won't start.....help needed

After deinstalling staroffice my Xwindows won't work no more.
This is wat I get in my log:

(**) Mouse1: ZAxisMapping: buttons 4 and 5
(II) Keyboard "Keyboard1" handled by legacy driver
(II) XINPUT: Adding extended input device "Mouse1" (type: MOUSE)
Could not init font path element unix/:-1, removing from list!

Fatal server error:
could not open default font 'fixed'

Anyone who has a clue what is wrong here and how do i solve it?!
I work with Mandrake 7.2.....

Thnx,
Deech

2. Does Linux support ESDI?

3. netscape won't start from Xwindow or command prompt

4. 3c59x--help (Repost)

5. Xwindows won't start anymore

6. HP DJ 682C Under Linux

7. Nertworking is Xwindows won't start

8. SCO Netware, what does it do ?

9. XWindows won't start in right resolution.

10. Xwindows won't start!

11. X won't start: can't open default font 'fixed'

12. x-win won't start with eth0 enabled

13. x-win won't start with eth0 enabled!