Problem with VIA AC97 PCI Sound card

Post by Kenny Zhu Qil » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Hi there. I have a AC97 PCI sound card using VIA 82C686A chipset. I'm using kernel 2.2.13 with via82cxxx module. I put the following two lines in /etc/modules.conf:

alias sound via82cxxx
option sb support=1

And after I do a modprobe sound, I get sound drivers loaded properly as I can see that in /proc/sound. But I just can't get any sound out of my speaker. Please help me! Do I need to recompile the kernel? Thanks.

Kenny

Problem with VIA AC97 PCI Sound card

Post by Rod Smi » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

[Posted and mailed]

Quote:> Hi there. I have a AC97 PCI sound card using VIA 82C686A chipset. I'm
> using kernel 2.2.13 with via82cxxx module. I put the following two lines
> in /etc/modules.conf:

In the future, could you please set your news reader to wrap text at
something less than 80 columns? Your message arrived
one-line-per-paragraph, which makes it difficult to read and/or reply on
some systems.

Quote:> alias sound via82cxxx
> option sb support=1

> And after I do a modprobe sound, I get sound drivers loaded properly as
> I can see that in /proc/sound. But I just can't get any sound out of my
> speaker. Please help me! Do I need to recompile the kernel? Thanks.

The 2.2.13 kernel driver will only get you 8-bit SoundBlaster-compatible
sound, at best. I suggest you dump it and use the ALSA driver
(http://www.alsa-project.org). You need at least version 0.5.6, but it
works pretty well in my experience, and produces 16-bit sound.

--

http://www.rodsbooks.com
Author of books on Linux networking & multi-OS configuration

You probably need a sound driver from http://www.alsa-project.org/
--
DG

(remove the Z's--they're what I do when I read SPAM!)

1. Via 8233 (ac97) onboard sound card problem

My recently assimilated MSI K7T266pro-R motherboard has an onboard
soundcard. I've got it working with the alsa module 'snd-card-via8233'
and alsaplayer. But the sound quality is rather poor. It sounds like a
very bad quality MP3 (the same mp3 sounds much better in winamp on a
creative card), much worse than radio. I can't believe this onboard
soundcard is that bad.

As far as I can see it's only alsa that supports this card, the module
ac97_codec from the 2.4.9 kernel also installs. but i can't get it to
produce any sounds. so it's either a misconfiguration (if think alsa is
pretty complicated). a bad driver or a bad player. Or it's just a
worthless soundcard.

Any ideas? Maybe some kernel patches so i don't have to use alsa anymore?

Kees

3. Sound Via Tech Chipset onboard AC97 PCI Audio

4. Does anyone have experience with NFS, Redhat (Sparc) and Diskless root?

5. VIA AC97 sound card on MATSONIC ?

6. Is anyone using wmppp?

7. Driver via ac97 sound problem (VT82C686) Compaq Presario 700

8. COLA FAQ 1 of 7 31-Aug-2002

9. Driver via ac97 sound problem (VT82C686B)

10. VIA AC97 sound problems

11. ac97 sound card problem (Unable to reserve I/O region)

12. via ac97 sound drivers for linux

13. Trouble with via ac97 sound