help !!!--- making dos visible

Post by SHANBHAG SACHIN » Tue, 17 Dec 1996 04:00:00

Somebody help  !!!

        I wish to make my dos partition visible under linux.Although it
had asked me while setup and it had also made it visible,it doesnt show
any files when I use dir or ls under 'dosc'(the dir. under which dos is
mounted)
        Also I have another problem.Linux shows 'segment buffer full'
error  when I try to boot it through lilo.It wont boot unless i use the
boot floppies.

If anybody can help me out please send me mail to :

thanx

help !!!--- making dos visible

Post by Saulius Grazuli » Tue, 17 Dec 1996 04:00:00

>         I wish to make my dos partition visible under linux.Although it
> had asked me while setup and it had also made it visible,it doesnt show
> any files when I use dir or ls under 'dosc'(the dir. under which dos is
> mounted)

try command 'mount' to see if the dos partition is mounted. You should
get
something like this:

Quote:>mount

/dev/hda2 on / type ext2 (rw)
/dev/hda1 on /dosc type msdos (rw)
none on /proc type proc (rw)

if you don't see the dos partition mounted, try to mount it manually --
as root issue command

mount -t msdos /dev/hda1 /dosc

if this works, most probably you dont have a correct entry in
/etc/fstab.
you can add to /etc/fstab something like:

/dev/hda1       /dosc                      msdos       defaults
1   1

this line should make the syestem mount your dos partition at the boot
time

the above examples assume that you have IDE hard disk (/dev/hda), dos
is on the first partition (/dev/hda1), and linux is on the second
(/dev/hda2),
and you want to mount dos partition on the directory /dosc (which must
exist).
For SCSI disks, replace 'hda' whith 'sda'.

>         Also I have another problem.Linux shows 'segment buffer full'
> error  when I try to boot it through lilo.It wont boot unless i use the
> boot floppies.

> If anybody can help me out please send me mail to :

I never had such message from LILO, but I had problem with booting Linux
from
a large disk (2.1G), which had more than 1000 cylinders and therefore
could't
be handled correctly by BIOS(LILO?). I hacked arround this problem by
making
a small partition to boot from, putting a kernel on it (then the kernel
resides within first 1000 cyl. and can be booted), and then mounting the
rest of the disk. If this is the case, tell me, I could send you more
detailed
how I have done this.

Hope this helps,
Saulius

--

MPI fuer Biochemie
Abt. Strukturforschung

Tel.: (089)-8578-2704

help !!!--- making dos visible

Post by James Youngm » Wed, 18 Dec 1996 04:00:00

Quote:

>Somebody help  !!!

>        I wish to make my dos partition visible under linux.Although it
>had asked me while setup and it had also made it visible,it doesnt show
>any files when I use dir or ls under 'dosc'(the dir. under which dos is
>mounted)

The file-system is configured into /etc/fstab but isn't mounted by default.
If "/dosc" doesn't appear in thr output when you just type "mount", this is the
problem.  If so, first, type
        touch "/dosc/filesystem not mounted"
so that if you try to ls the unmounted filesystem you get a handy reminder:-

$ ls .dosc
filesystem not mounted
$

Try mounting it manually, using "mount /dosc".  If that works, carefully edit
/etc/fstab and remove the word "noauto" from the line containing /dosc.

Quote:>        Also I have another problem.Linux shows 'segment buffer full'
>error  when I try to boot it through lilo.It wont boot unless i use the
>boot floppies.

Not certain what's going on here.   If the word "compact" appears in
/etc/lilo.conf, try ting it out (put a # before it).

--
James Youngman       VG Gas Analysis Systems |The trouble with the rat-race
 Before sending advertising material, read   |is, even if you win, you're

1. Making extended dos partition visible.

 created an extended dos partition (E:) and I have a question.
How can I make extended dos partition (E:) visible from Linux?

Please tell me.  Thank you in advance.

                        http://www.csci.csusb.edu/hishibas/
~~~~~~~~~ California State University, San Bernardino ~~~~~~~~~

2. ISO Development Libraries

3. Making host visible

4. Changing maximum number of processes on Solaris 2.1

5. Making my YDL Machine Visible on ATALK NETWORK

6. C complier for AIX 4.3.2

7. Making your plan visible to others?

8. Free RS/6000's for schools

9. making processes only visible to their owners

10. Making Second Hard Drive visible

11. Making an internal machine visible to the Internet

12. Help with making a DOS partition Read-only please