Linux and DVD-ROM drives?

Post by Joel Hard » Sun, 14 Sep 1997 04:00:00

Warning, stupid question follows:
If I get a DVD-ROM drive, will I be able to use it with Linux?  I'm pretty
sure it's EIDE/ATAPI compatible, so my guess is that I can, I just don't
want to waste a couple hundred dollars to find out it doesn't work.  Also,
does anybody know if DVD-ROM drives have the same sound-out interface to a
sound card as CD-ROM drives do?  Thanks!

--

http://www.inficad.com/~deeng -- Linux, x86 asm, C/C++, and other stuff
Freedows Driver Development Team Lead (http://freedows.home.ml.org)

Linux and DVD-ROM drives?

Post by Mark Hea » Tue, 16 Sep 1997 04:00:00

: Warning, stupid question follows:
: If I get a DVD-ROM drive, will I be able to use it with Linux?  I'm pretty

I know that someone posted their partial success with using a DVD drive
under linux.

The biggest hurdle is that there is no software for the drive, so dont
expect the DVD to be more than a Shovelware CD.

--
-- mark heath - Netspace Online Systems.  http://www.netspace.net.au/
Obnoxious Usenet Habits #67. Why use a single question mark or

1. Linux x DVD-ROM drive?

     Hi there,

     I'd like to know if I can use a DVD-ROM drive under Linux to read
CD's (I really don't mind not being able to read DVD's, but I need the
CD's).

     This doubt is one of the things pushing me away from a DVD drive at
the moment... if it can work as a standard CD-ROM under Linux, it's
great.

     Thanks for any info, Marcelo.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/

2. Quick question regarding user rights and kernel compiling...

3. Can Linux support DVD-ROM drives ?

4. Question about setting up X w/Diamond SpeedStar 24X/Paradise vid cards

5. Linux and DVD-ROM drives?

6. AIX 4.1.4, Informix7.12, Livewire, NS ES2.01

7. Best SCSI DVD-ROM drive that also works under Linux & WinNT 4.0?

8. libmsgbaseutil.so

9. DVD-ROM drive and Linux

10. Dell DVD-ROM drive under Linux

11. Solaris, DVD-ROM, DVD-R, DVD-RAM and UDF

12. DVD-ROM drive not recognised

13. dumb question about DVD-ROM drive