HP DeskJet 855c

Post by matt » Sun, 01 Dec 1996 04:00:00

How in the heckie doodles, can I get my HP DeskJet855c printer
up and running?  I have read all the howto's, etc. and they have been of
little help.  I have tried using the Magic Filter and the AS[CP] Filter,
but nothing works...Please don't make me use Win95???? :/

Thanks in advance!

BTW.... Parallel Port = BiDirectional (not EPP, ECP)
        Kernel v2.0.0 with Parallel support compiled

Later,
matt :)

HP DeskJet 855c

Post by Reijo Nenon » Wed, 04 Dec 1996 04:00:00

: How in the heckie doodles, can I get my HP DeskJet855c printer
: up and running?  I have read all the howto's, etc. and they have been of
: little help.  I have tried using the Magic Filter and the AS[CP] Filter,
: but nothing works...Please don't make me use Win95???? :/
:
:
: Thanks in advance!
:
: BTW.... Parallel Port = BiDirectional (not EPP, ECP)
:       Kernel v2.0.0 with Parallel support compiled
:

First check that your system is using polling with IRQs (use tunelp),then
check that your system has off-line support turned on (you can see this
in the boot-scrip)t. Then upload the apsfiler (aps-491.tgz) from
sunsite.unc.edu. It has good installation instructions. That's how I
managed to get my DJ850c printing.

HP DeskJet 855c

Post by Guido Gonzat » Wed, 04 Dec 1996 04:00:00

> First check that your system is using polling with IRQs (use tunelp),then
> check that your system has off-line support turned on (you can see this
> in the boot-scrip)t. Then upload the apsfiler (aps-491.tgz) from
> sunsite.unc.edu. It has good installation instructions. That's how I
> managed to get my DJ850c printing.

I'm sorry to bother you again, but I'm having the same problem and I
need more detailed explanations. I've got an HP 820Cxi, apparently
visible from /dev/lp1 (under DOS it works), which won't print under Red
Hat 4 (and it wouldn't print under Slackware, either):

- using a DOS program (ugh) I found out my parallel port's IRQ (7);
(what would I use under Linux?)
- I did tunelp /dev/lp1 -i 7
- trying echo "hello printer" > /dev/lp1 won't print
- now: in which boot-script should I look for what?

the rest would be simple, at home I've installed an HP 400 with a
standard filter and all works fine. Only this damned printer is driving
me mad.

Would you please send me some more tips?
Thank you in advance,

Guido  =8-)

HP DeskJet 855c

Post by Rich Garrett [110 » Wed, 04 Dec 1996 04:00:00

> I'm sorry to bother you again, but I'm having the same problem and I
> need more detailed explanations. I've got an HP 820Cxi, apparently
> visible from /dev/lp1 (under DOS it works), which won't print under Red
> Hat 4 (and it wouldn't print under Slackware, either):

> - using a DOS program (ugh) I found out my parallel port's IRQ (7);
> (what would I use under Linux?)
> - I did tunelp /dev/lp1 -i 7
> - trying echo "hello printer" > /dev/lp1 won't print
> - now: in which boot-script should I look for what?

> the rest would be simple, at home I've installed an HP 400 with a
> standard filter and all works fine. Only this damned printer is driving
> me mad.

> Would you please send me some more tips?
> Thank you in advance,

> Guido  =8-)

There are 3 possible devices you can use for printing:

/dev/lp0
/dev/lp1
/dev/lp2

Each device has a different hardware I/O address associated with it.
I believe /dev/lp1 -> 0x378/IRQ7, /dev/lp2 -> 0x278/IRQ5 and
/dev/lp0 -> 0x3bc/IRQ ?? (not sure). If you know the port address
of your parallel port, then just use the device with that address.
Otherwise, just try each device until it works. I have a HP DeskJet
855C. I'm using apsfilter (aps-491.tgz) from sunsite.unc.edu. I'm using
/dev/lp1. Everything is working fine with this setup.

Richard P. Garrett

Lucent Technologies                             Phone:  (908) 582-5171
Bell Labs Design Automation                     FAX:    (908) 582-3440
Room 3A-433
600-700 Mountain Avenue
P O Box 636
Murray Hill, NJ 07974-0636

HP DeskJet 855c

Post by Ketil Fyllin » Sat, 07 Dec 1996 04:00:00

The HP 820Cxi is a Windoze GDI (graphical device interface) printer.

This means that the printer is not compatible with the ghostscript
drivers for HP DeskJets which is using a printer language called
"HP pcl level 3".

To my knowledge this printer can only be used by Windoze 3.1 / 95 / NT.
--

Ketil Fylling

1. HP Deskjet 855c and lpd

: I was wondering if anyone has written a package specifically for the
: Deskjet or has successfully gotten this version of the DeskJet to actually
: do 600x600dpi graphics.  I sure can't.  I've found 2 utils for printing
: text, eliminating the staircase effect.  But that's it.  Please someone
: help on this, it's getting real tough to deal with.

: Thanks a mil

: -- Loren Harrington

I use the ghostscript ljet4 filter for black and white at 600x600,
and the cdj550 for color at 300x300, with magicfilter, on FreeBSD.
It worked as well on linux when I was running that. The only problem
is not having the HP utility to clean the printhead, etc. I can even
send wordperfect file thru magic filter and have it print properly.
It sends the raw pcl code directly to the printer.

Ron

2. prob with installing egcs 1.1 on 4.1.3

3. HP Deskjet 855c colors messed up - suggest better printer perhaps?

4. compiling 2.0.33

5. HP DeskJet 855C & Red Hat 4.0

6. 6x86, win95, Lilo compatibility?

7. HP Deskjet 855C

8. X problems with Linux2.0.0

9. HP Deskjet 855C / Linux (Slackware 2.2.0)

10. Redhat 7.3 HP Deskjet 855c lpd prints garbage

11. HP Deskjet 855C Printer Driver

12. HP Deskjet 855C and Linux?

13. printcap entry for HP DeskJet 855C