Configuring dip for dynamic IPs

Post by Richard J Shephe » Mon, 13 Jan 1997 04:00:00

  You know dip, the program for setting up IP connections? Is is
possible to set it up to use dynamically assigned IP addresses? And
if so, how?

  Thanks for any help!

Post by Chuck Simmon » Mon, 13 Jan 1997 04:00:00

>   You know dip, the program for setting up IP connections? Is is
> possible to set it up to use dynamically assigned IP addresses? And
> if so, how?

First, there is an ISP connection HOWTO at the Linux Documentation
Project and probably on newer distributions.  This will let you get all
those configuration files set up.  You have to have the loopback network
and you set the IP of your own hostname (not localhost) to 0.0.0.0 .

Getting the dip script right is a bit tricky at first but the man page
is good.  Depending on your versions, you may have to upgrade dip and
pppd.  Some of this is in the HOWTO.  In any case, older versions of
pppd do not work and play well with 2.0.x kernels.

Use the sample script in the dip man page as a starting point and set it
up for your connection.  There are good comments in the man page script.

Not everything will work with such a simple set up, for example talk
does not.  However, I have gotten ftp, ftpd, Apache, telnet, Netscape
and so on to work well.

Chuck
--
          ...  the times have been,
         That, when the brains were out,

Chuck's Place http://www.futureone.com/~chrlsim/
Unofficial Netscape FAQ http://www.astro.ufl.edu/~oliver/faq/

1. DIP with Dynamic IPs

Hello again.

I'm having problems connecting to my provider with CSLIP. They assign an IP
each time I dial in. The IP is displayed (when you do it by hand(term)).
My problem is I can't find anything that will read the IP number assigned
to me and set it automatically. This would be very handy because I send
and recieve mail through a SLIP connection at regular intervals and cannot
always be there to do it by hand.

Thanks in Advance! :]

--

|/ /| <
-------

2. use PAGEUP and PAGEDOWN keys in Xterm.

3. dip, slirp, IPs, other options?

4. best cheap....

5. Dynamically assigned IPs with DIP

6. Help: PPP stabilty and error recovery

7. firewall-config with dynamic-IPs

8. WinXP services

9. gateway with dynamic IPs

10. nat.conf with openbsd 3.0 and dynamic ips

11. Dynamic IP with PPP remembers ALL old IPs!

12. Posting updated dynamic IPs

13. Dynamic IPs and fixed names