Linux 2.2.0 & Secondary IDE Controller

Post by ASHFIELD » Wed, 31 Jul 1996 04:00:00

Hi all,

I've purchased "Linux Unleashed" & I've been attempting
to install Linux Slackware 2.2.0 which comes bundled with
the book.  I've had alot of experience with other Unix's
such as HP-UX, SunOs, QNX .. etc, but never on a PC
architecture.  My System includes the following:

Intel P133
64megs ram
PCI Pentium Tr4 motherboard
Matrox Millenium
212 western Digital & 850 Western Digital on EIDE 1
1.08 gig Maxstor HD on EIDE 2
Toshiba 4xCDROM as slave on EIDE 2.

I want to install Linux onto my new 1.08 gigabyte HD, the
problem I am experiencing is with fdisk being able to open
devices on the second ide controller.  During processing of
the boot disk (idecd from the Slackware CD), all of my
HDs & CDROM are recognized (in text with correct sizes etc)
All PCI & other tests are also passed <g>.  Once the root
disk is mounted the following is displayed by the partition
check:  hda: hda1 hda2 hda3
        hdb: disabled multiple mode
        hdb: hdb1 hdb2 <hdb5 hdb6 hdb7>
        hdc: disabled multiple mode
        hdc: hdc1 hdc2 <hdc5 hdc6 hdc7 hdc8>
/dev/hdc contains a Linux partition & swap partitions.

Once I log in & attempt to tag the partition for installation
the problems begin. hda opens no problem, as does hdb .. but
if hdc or my cdrom hdd are used with fdisk, "unable to open"
is reported.  This surprised me since they were in fact
correctly identified. I've searched the FAQ's & HOWTO's but
can't seem to find anything directly related to this (I did
find that Linux does suport EIDE & 4 devices, but no mention
of this problem).

If anyone has any ideas / suggestions I'd appreciate it greatly.

Bruce Ashfield

p.s. I have in fact this evening considered cutting floppies or
installing from a DOS partition, but would rather not.

Thanks.

--
Any opinions expressed above are my own and do not represent those of UNB

" Details are irrelevant"

1. HALP! Linux /w/ PCI & secondary IDE controller

Halloa all, I have myself a wee bit of a problem and am hoping somebody can
point me in the right direction.

Namely:
my Yggdrasil Linux (which up till now has been great) will not boot when
I attach twin master/slave IDE hard drives to my secondary ISA controller.
I'm not trying to mount them under linux or anything (DOS partitions) but
they somehow (by their mere presence) cause linux to stop booting and hang
immediately before I get the message:

VFS: mounting root (ext2fs) blha blah

ie right after the line that looks somewhat like:
blah blah hda1 hda2 <hda3> blah blah

Now the really interesting thing as much earlier in the boot up process
Linux correctly identifies the extra two hard drives head cylinders etc
as hdb and hdc.

Can anyone think of anything? HALP, I'm baffled and disabling the secondary
controller in my BIOS settings everytime b4 I run Linux is a tremendous pain
in the butt.

Thanx in advance

--
/---------------------------------------------------------------------------/
Ryan Haksi                      "Ha Ha... and that makes six shots...."

                                "I re-loaded...." -the rebuttal
/---------------------------------------------------------------------------/

2. who know the structure of syscall ?

3. Built-in IDE controller: secondary controller very slow

4. Number 9FX/Motion 771/ S3-968 Card Problems with X

5. LINUX and secondary IDE controller addresses HELP!

6. Acceptance of Solaris 2 - was Re: New "Death To Solaris BOF" Mailing lis

7. Can linux be installed on a system with only a secondary ide controller running the drives?

8. mountd question

9. LINUX 1.2.x & secondary EIDE controller setup problem

10. Debian Linux & IDE Controller & 2 Harddisks: dma_timer_expiry:dma_status==0x24

11. Installing Windows 2000 on Secondary IDE Channel [Dual boot config: Linux & Win2k]

12. Secondary IDE controller (PROBLEM SOLVED)

13. Installing on secondary IDE controller