RedHat 4.1 Upgrade problem

Post by Pier Deganell » Mon, 03 Mar 1997 04:00:00

OK OK, I know this must be an easy problem, but I can't figure out if I
need to recompile the kernel or what.

I am trying to upgrade a RH4.0 machine to 4.1. I installed the latest
kernel (2.0.27) via RPM, along with all of the "base" RPMS in 4.1. Now,
the system boots up fine, but refuses to load the SCSI CD-ROM drivers
because it detects that the old (2.0.18) modules or maps (???) are
trying to be loaded in a new (2.0.27) kernel.

The message the machine gives me to tell me about the SCSI problem does
not get recorded to the log file, so I only see it when the system is
coming up.

Am I right in believing that I can upgrade the machine via RPM alone, or
do I need to recompile the kernel manually?

Any help would greatly be appreciated! As you can tell, I am new to
Linux.

                                                Pier Deganello

1. RedHat 4.0 -> 4.1 upgrade problem

I downloaded RedHat/RPMS and /base to a hard drive, and made the latest
boot.img and supp.img, but after I boot, select upgrade, and the supp disk
is loaded, I get the select-partition-with-Red-Hat-tree dialog box.  I cannot
select any partition except for /dev/hda1.  space bar just doesn't work.

The correct partition is /dev/sda7; SCSI loads just fine and the partition is
listed just fine;  I just can't select it, or any other partition.

Note that the cdrom Red Hat install for 4.0 worked just fine for me.

I asked for help on the Red Hat list, with no result.  Can anyone assist?

valete

--Uche

2. Help for XF86: snow on screen when displaying

3. Problem since upgrade to RedHat 4.1

4. KDE 2.0.1 Problem

5. little ppp problem after upgrade to RedHat 4.1

6. Autodetect serial mouse?

7. upgrade to VxFS 4.1 and VxSF for Oracle 4.1 from VxFS 3.5

8. Q: hostid?

9. 4.1 SCSI boot fails, 4.0->4.1 upgrade boot OK

10. Any advantage to upgrading, RedHat 4.0 -> 4.1 ??

11. Redhat upgrade 4.1 --> 4.2

12. RedHat 4.0 to 4.1 Upgrade

13. RedHat 4.1 Upgrade from MS-Dos partition