Install Probs (yet another install question)

Install Probs (yet another install question)

Post by Zer0 Defec » Mon, 22 Mar 1999 04:00:00

Trying to install Red Hat 5.1 booting from the CD or floppy, it gets
as far as;
Real Time Clock Driver v1.09

Trying to install Debian booting from CD or floppy, this time it gets
as far as;
ide: i82371 PIIX (Triton) on PCI Bus 0 function 57
        ide 0: BM-DMA at 0xffa0-0xffa7
        ide 1: BM-DMA at 0xffa8-0xffaf

Hardware I have...
Intel motherboard
233mmx intel
Creative Labs 3D Blaster (Rendition chip?)
Sound Blaster 16
Sony CD
MaxtorDiamond Max 4.3gig
Zip Zoom SCSI w/Zip 100
Motorola ModemSurfer 56k

Thanks for anyinfo you can give me.

Install Probs (yet another install question)

Post by Jonathan Putsma » Mon, 29 Mar 1999 04:00:00

I had the same problem. I solved it by using the "no_kbd.i" boot image for
Slackware.

Hope this helps.

Jon

> Trying to install Red Hat 5.1 booting from the CD or floppy, it gets
> as far as;
> Real Time Clock Driver v1.09

> Trying to install Debian booting from CD or floppy, this time it gets
> as far as;
> ide: i82371 PIIX (Triton) on PCI Bus 0 function 57
>    ide 0: BM-DMA at 0xffa0-0xffa7
>    ide 1: BM-DMA at 0xffa8-0xffaf

> Hardware I have...
> Intel motherboard
> 233mmx intel
> Creative Labs 3D Blaster (Rendition chip?)
> Sound Blaster 16
> Sony CD
> MaxtorDiamond Max 4.3gig
> Zip Zoom SCSI w/Zip 100
> Motorola ModemSurfer 56k

> Thanks for anyinfo you can give me.

                  http://www.searchlinux.com

1. NTFS/HPFS install bug not fixed yet...updated install disks still don't work:-(

Hi there,

I posted some details about a problem with the install routine not
being able to update an existing installation.

RH acknowledged this bug and made available new boot image and
update image to use.  I have downloaded these and tried, still
 no go.

The procedure is supposed to be like this:

1. Boot from new disk.
2. Type "linux update text" (Without the quotes) for text install.
3. After loading the boot disk you will be prompted to insert
   the update disk.
4. Update disk runs a few seconds saying "updating anaconda",
   and continues.

All should then be fine BUT, a very BIG BUT, it still fails to
find my Linux partition on </dev/sdc6> (Third hard disk).
It insists that it can not mount </dev/sdb6> on the second hard
disk which is an NTFS partition (For Win NT4).

My system:

Disk 1 = SCSI 4.3Gb
Disk 2 = SCSI 4.3Gb
Disk 3 = SCSI 4.3Gb

There are no Linux partitions on the first disk (DOS, WIN95,
WinNT and OS/2)

Disk 2 has NTFS and OS/2 HPFS partitions as well as a the following
Linux layout:

Linux : 'sdb5'  100Mb  "/boot"

Linux : 'sdb8'  128Mb  "Swap"

Linux : 'sdb9'  2000Mb "/"

Disk 3 is as follows:

Linux : 'sdc6'  2100Mb "/usr

The update images were supposed to fix a few other things but
those items have not been an issue for me so I don't know if they did.

The work around for this problem is to use fdisk and change the
partition id from 7 to 17 (Hidden NTFS/HPFS).  This allows
the install to proceed.  Very annoying to say the least.

Now why is RH going down the track of creating all these problems?

RH 5.2 seemed to me to be quite good and easy to install, since RH6
things
have gone down hill, especially seeing the problems other people have.

Have any others found this problem?

Anthony

2. HELP: SCSI problems SCO OS 3.0

3. RPMS: Installed yet not Installed

4. UNIX Sys. Admin needed

5. install prob - locked up during distro install

6. DES -- How to install?

7. Install prob - install thinks my disc is Audio

8. diagnose diskette for 7012-3xx, Where?

9. Urgent sawmill install prob - where is /usr/sbin/install-menu

10. Yet another FTP-install question

11. Yet another gcc install ./configure question

12. INSTALL Redhat 6.0: yet another 5.2->6 upgrade question:

13. yet another GNOME install question .. gotta sec?