Hanging modem?? Help needed.

Post by Stan Jacob » Fri, 01 Dec 1995 04:00:00

Hi everyone,

I'm having a problem with my Linux box and a USR modem.  I have
the Slackware 1.2.8 box configured in such a way so that it'll answer
the modem and allow a terminal program to dial in and let me access
the box.  (I'm using agetty -mt 60 ... with speeds.)  I used it this morning,
and it worked fine.  I dialed in, used programs, etc.   (I do have a problem
with the colors, in that when I go into pine, for example, ALL the text
is highlighted, making something -- like tin -- very hard to read!  But I can
live with that, if I have to...)

But the problem is, after I disconnected, the modem seems to have just
hung...  When I dial, it just rings and doesn't answer.  Using another service
to telnet into the machine, I tried to go into minicom, but the modem still
seems like it's locked up.

Any ideas on why this is happening?  We had problems like this before,
and only rebooting the whole machine (cold boot) seems to be able to
free up the modem and get it to answer the phone once or twice before
again locking up.  What's going on?  Any ideas?

        Thanks for the help,
             - Stan -

Hanging modem?? Help needed.

Post by Steve Klee » Sat, 02 Dec 1995 04:00:00

> I'm having a problem with my Linux box and a USR modem.  I have
> the Slackware 1.2.8 box configured in such a way so that it'll answer
> the modem and allow a terminal program to dial in and let me access
> the box.  (I'm using agetty -mt 60 ... with speeds.)  I used it this morning,
> and it worked fine.  I dialed in, used programs, etc.
> But the problem is, after I disconnected, the modem seems to have just
> hung...  When I dial, it just rings and doesn't answer.

We had just this problem for a long time, with a USRobotics Sportster
14.4-kbaud modem and Linux running agetty.  The problem was sporadic; the
modem might answer for as long as a couple of weeks and then go into
no-answer mode often.  In our case, turning the modem off and on reset it
temporarily.  The problem was fixed by getting an updated EEPROM from
USRobotics.  We have now had no problem for 72 days.  VAResearch (formerly
Fintronic) did all the dirty work for us, so I don't have the EEPROM codes
handy.  Presumably though USRobotics will now acknowledge the problem if you
call, and maybe they'll send you a fix.

1. Need help with modem/zsmon on Solaris 2.3 (port hang)

Under Solaris 2.3, when we tip to one of our modems, change some of the
nvram settings by e.g. ats0=2  and then exit using ~.  the
port retains the process so that further attempts to access the
port give 'port is busy' message.  The port is setup for a bidirectional
modem.  We do not know why the port becomes
hung this way, and we do not know how to clear it, although by using
the Serial Port Manager and variously deleting the service on that port
or maybe modifying it, we eventually can clear the port for further use.

Does someone know why the port gets hung, and how one can clear the
port without using the Serial Port Manager, so that, for example, the
port can be cleared over another dialin...

w gives the following listing for the hung port (term/a).

.zsmon   term/a        2:24pm     5                /usr/bin/login

Thanks for your help.

Steve Piper

2. The Personal Electronic Picture Album

3. Need help with Alpha Hangs and Cable Modem

4. Only upper left 800x600 visible :(((

5. Cable Modem (COX @HOME), I NEED HELP SETTING UP MY CABLE MODEM WITH RH 5.1

6. Location of latest de4x5 driver?

7. Need Help w/ Modem--"Sorry modem is busy" error

8. Drivers for Yamaha WaveForce

9. Weird Modem problems/modem related Hangs

10. How can I determine that modem hang up is caused by remote or my own modem ?

11. Please help, need help fast, which PnP modem?

12. HELP: Modem answers then hangs up

13. Please help, need help fast, which PnP modem?