how to test mail thru PPP ?

Post by Mihaly Gyula » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

After a HD crash I switched from RedHat to Debian.
I have problems with mail, I can't send nor receive
messages. PPP works, but fetchmail now says: 'Connection refused'.
(previously it said 'no route to host').

I don't understand the situation as I use the same files,
as in RedHat (I have a backup of those files).

The only difference is the SMTP-program (in Debian: exim, in RedHat:
sendmail), so I cannot use the /etc/sendmail.cf file.

Is there a test for mail-settings ??

I've read 'PPP-Howto', 'NET-3-Howto' and some other documents,
but couldn't find how to test...

Any suggestions appreciated!

--
Mihaly Gyulai

http://www.freeyellow.com/members5/gyulai/

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

how to test mail thru PPP ?

Post by Peter T. Breue » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

: After a HD crash I switched from RedHat to Debian.
: I have problems with mail, I can't send nor receive
: messages. PPP works, but fetchmail now says: 'Connection refused'.
: (previously it said 'no route to host').

No smtp transport, or trying to run sendmail which isn't there.

: The only difference is the SMTP-program (in Debian: exim, in RedHat:
: sendmail), so I cannot use the /etc/sendmail.cf file.

So take out exim and drop in sendmail, or configure exim.

: Is there a test for mail-settings ??

??

: Any suggestions appreciated!

Check your mailer and mail daemon. It seems there is nothing on port
80. Telnet localhost 80 and say helo localhost.

Peter

how to test mail thru PPP ?

Post by Peter T. Breue » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

oops ..

: Check your mailer and mail daemon. It seems there is nothing on port
: 80. Telnet localhost 80 and say helo localhost.
  ^^  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
  25. Telnet localhost 25 ..

Too early.

Peter

how to test mail thru PPP ?

Post by Mihaly Gyula » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Quote:> fetchmail now says: 'Connection refused' or
> 'no route to host').
> No smtp transport, or trying to run sendmail which isn't there.

It's true that sendmail is not there, but I found some links as 'exim'
tries to behave like it would be 'sendmail'.

Quote:> take out exim and drop in sendmail, or configure exim.

'exim'  seems to be running, I can check it with 'telnet localhost
smtp'.

Quote:> : Is there a test for mail-settings ??
> ??

I mean like 'telnet localhost smtp', which gives a message about 'exim'
running, and waits for SMTP commands...

But how to test 'fetchmail' (or POP3 service) ?

There should be some HOWTOs about 'mail' configuration: what files need
editing, what errors are possible,... etc.

Maybe it's a routing problem, but I don't know where to look...

--
Mihaly Gyulai

http://www.freeyellow.com/members5/gyulai/

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

how to test mail thru PPP ?

Post by Peter T. Breue » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

:> fetchmail now says: 'Connection refused' or
:> 'no route to host').

:> No smtp transport, or trying to run sendmail which isn't there.

: It's true that sendmail is not there, but I found some links as 'exim'
: tries to behave like it would be 'sendmail'.

Yes, but is it THERE? Is it listening on the port? Apparently not!

:> take out exim and drop in sendmail, or configure exim.

: 'exim'  seems to be running, I can check it with 'telnet localhost
: smtp'.

:> : Is there a test for mail-settings ??

:> ??

: I mean like 'telnet localhost smtp', which gives a message about 'exim'
: running, and waits for SMTP commands...

That is the test. If you telnet localhost 25 and get to talk to a daemon,
then there is a daemon running.

: But how to test 'fetchmail' (or POP3 service) ?

I don't understand. Fetchmail has a debug switch and in any case it
either uses an external transport agent or connects to port 25 itself.

            -v, --verbose
              Verbose mode.  All control messages passed between
              fetchmail and the mailserver are echoed to stderr.
              Overrides --silent.

The latter appears to be your case. And as for testing a service (as
opposed to a client, like fetchmail), just do what you did for the
smtp port, this time on the pop3 port.

: There should be some HOWTOs about 'mail' configuration: what files need

There are whole books written! But you haven't answered the basic
question ... do you have sendmail/exim running? I am 80% convinced that
you have, but fetchmail says that you haven't. So ask fetchmail why
it thinks so. Strace it and run with debugging on. Don't complicate
your life with weird surmises. Just tell us if the smtp daemon is there
or not.

: editing, what errors are possible,... etc.

: Maybe it's a routing problem, but I don't know where to look...

At your routes? You're the one who told fetchmail where to go!

          -S host, --smtphost host
             Specify a host  to  forward  mail  to  (other than
             localhost).

If I were you I'd set up a pop server and check your maild is OK. (I use
sslwrapped cucipop  as a pop server, but the standard pop3d may be OK
for you). In any case, you need to just check the basics. Do you have
it? Is it running? Is it working? You haven't convinced me of any of
those yet. Put them beyond a doubt. I seriously doubt that your
distribution comes with a pop server already set up, for example.
It will be disabled in inetd.conf even if it is on disk.

Peter

how to test mail thru PPP ?

Post by Mihaly Gyula » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Quote:>:> fetchmail says: 'Connection refused' or 'no route to host').
> : But how to test 'fetchmail' (or POP3 service) ?
> Fetchmail has a debug switch ... -v, --verbose

I use it, so I get the error message: 'no route to host' or
'connection refused'.

Quote:> And as for testing a service (as
> opposed to a client, like fetchmail), just do what you did for the
> smtp port, this time on the pop3 port.

'telnet localhost 110'  gives an error message: 'connection refused'

Quote:> : There should be some HOWTOs about 'mail' configuration...
> There are whole books written!

Yes, maybe in English... I can't afford buying them...

Quote:> But you haven't answered the basic
> question ... do you have sendmail/exim running?

Exim starts only after the PPP connection is ready. I have a script
which starts Exim and Fetchmail (I used this script in RedHat with
Sendmail...).
Maybe Exim is not configured properly yet... (?)

Quote:> ... ask fetchmail why
> it thinks so. Strace it and run with debugging on.

I'll do this.

Quote:> Just tell us if the smtp daemon is there or not.

Maybe SMTP works ('telnet localhost smtp' gives Exim answer).

Quote:> If I were you I'd set up a pop server and check your maild is OK. (I use
> sslwrapped cucipop  as a pop server, but the standard pop3d may be OK
> for you). In any case, you need to just check the basics. Do you have
> it? Is it running? Is it working?

Do I need a popserver also for local message delivery ?

I mean, I have 2 local users; can they send letters to each other
without a popserver ? (the 2 user defined on the same machine)

Quote:> I seriously doubt that your
> distribution comes with a pop server already set up, for example.
> It will be disabled in inetd.conf even if it is on disk.

I'll check it, too.

--
Mihaly Gyulai

http://www.freeyellow.com/members5/gyulai/

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

how to test mail thru PPP ?

Post by Peter T. Breue » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

:>:> fetchmail says: 'Connection refused' or 'no route to host').

:> : But how to test 'fetchmail' (or POP3 service) ?

:> Fetchmail has a debug switch ... -v, --verbose

: I use it, so I get the error message: 'no route to host' or
: 'connection refused'.

Which? And give the command line you used! The first is a routing
failure, the second is a daemon absence.

: Yes, maybe in English... I can't afford buying them...

:> But you haven't answered the basic
:> question ... do you have sendmail/exim running?

: Exim starts only after the PPP connection is ready. I have a script

Fine, but why? Are you using dial on demand or something? I would
normally leave sendmail up and running.

: which starts Exim and Fetchmail (I used this script in RedHat with
: Sendmail...).
: Maybe Exim is not configured properly yet... (?)

Only you can tell.

:> Just tell us if the smtp daemon is there or not.

: Maybe SMTP works ('telnet localhost smtp' gives Exim answer).

Then it works. Smtp, that is.

:> If I were you I'd set up a pop server and check your maild is OK. (I use
:> sslwrapped cucipop  as a pop server, but the standard pop3d may be OK
:> for you). In any case, you need to just check the basics. Do you have
:> it? Is it running? Is it working?

: Do I need a popserver also for local message delivery ?

? You don't need a popserver for any kind of delivery. But fetchmail
has to fetch from a popserver, so how else are you going to check it
except by providing your own?

: I mean, I have 2 local users; can they send letters to each other
: without a popserver ? (the 2 user defined on the same machine)

A popserver is an orthogonal issue.

:> I seriously doubt that your
:> distribution comes with a pop server already set up, for example.
:> It will be disabled in inetd.conf even if it is on disk.

: I'll check it, too.

Peter