Unable to build a custom 1.2.13 kernel

Post by D.. » Wed, 10 Apr 1996 04:00:00

Hello:

I originally (and successfully) installed the base Linux system as described
by theinstall HOW-TO which supposedly tells me that I am using Linux kernel
1.2.13.

I am trying to re-compile a custom kernel....but with no success.  The directions
say that I should find the new image in /usr/src/linux/arch/boot directory
named as zImage (since I did use the make zImage command)- though no such
file exists when I search for it.  After running the preliminary make
commands...the make clean, depend, etc., I then ran make zImage yielding
"make: error.." messages.

I am relatively sure that I have browsed the pertinent HOWTO FAQs..however,
with no avail.  I have tried to install the "make-3.74(?)", "binutils",
"gcc-2.7.2(?)" and several other packages thinking that some file(s) were
originally missing...but apparently with no success.  (needless to say,
compiling the make utilities also fails with similar "make: error.." messages.

Is there a specific sequence of events to successfully follow for proper
re-compilation of the kernel?  Is it possible that my paths have been
incorrectly configured...hence being able to locate the appropriate
directories/files?  Am i missing other critical utility packages needed to
successfully compile a custom kernel?     H E L P !!!!!

Can someone help me with this issue?  I apologize for not being able to
provide more detailed information...but if there is a patient person
who can help me work this out it will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks a bunch in advance for your assistance!!!!

DPD.

Unable to build a custom 1.2.13 kernel

Post by tcos.. » Thu, 11 Apr 1996 04:00:00

On Apr 09, 1996 11:36:29 in article <Unable to build a custom 1.2.13

>Is there a specific sequence of events to successfully follow for proper
>re-compilation of the kernel?

This is all I do----
log in as root
Go to /usr/src/linux
type   make config
pick stuff
type   make dep
type   make clean
type   make zlilo
know it says to type  rdev -R /newkernel 1
but I didn't have to do this for some reason.

--

Troy Cosson

1. Unable to compile a custom 1.2.13 kernel - contains a captured file - help!

[...]

The following is the output captured via a script I wrote which actually
captures stdout...and stderr only on the "make zImage" command.  You will see
which commands were run in their current order:

.
.
.
running the make zImage now....
gcc -D__KERNEL__ -I/usr/src/linux-1.2.13/include -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes -O2 -fomit-frame-
pointer -pipe -m486  -c -o init/main.o init/main.c
done running the make zImage.
Fri Apr 12 11:56:12 EDT 1996

end of /root/bin/create_zImage.ksh routine

# The following errors appeared after the completion of the script I created to # catch stdout and
stderr on the "make zImage command".  As you can see the name# of my script is
/root/bin/create_zImage.ksh.

io.h:82: inconsistent operand constraints in an `asm'
/usr/src/linux-1.2.13/include/asm/io.h:82: inconsistent operand constraints in an `asm'
/usr/src/linux-1.2.13/include/asm/io.h:82: inconsistent operand constraints in an `asm'
/usr/src/linux-1.2.13/include/asm/io.h:82: inconsistent operand constraints in an `asm'
/usr/src/linux-1.2.13/include/asm/io.h: In function `check_fpu':
/usr/src/linux-1.2.13/include/asm/io.h:78: inconsistent operand constraints in an `asm'
/usr/src/linux-1.2.13/include/asm/io.h:82: inconsistent operand constraints in an `asm'
/usr/src/linux-1.2.13/include/asm/io.h:78: inconsistent operand constraints in an `asm'
/usr/src/linux-1.2.13/include/asm/io.h:82: inconsistent operand constraints in an `asm'
make: *** [init/main.o] Error 1

Your assistance is greatly appreciated!!!!

2. terminal server on solaris

3. Unsuccessfull custom kernel 1.2.13 compilations..help!

4. Xterm + Bash + Long command lines

5. Unable to start up ypbind on 1.2.13 kernel

6. PGP public key block?

7. Building kernel 1.2.13 with GCC 2.7.2

8. 'make' problem

9. strange problems 1.2.13 --> 2.0.0 --> 1.2.13

10. 1.2.13 kernel build problems.

11. kernel 1.2.13 build problem

12. 1.2.13 Kernel Build Problem w/gcc 2.6.3

13. Kernel building ERRORS with 1.2.13 and GCC 2.7.0 HELP!!