SuSE 8.0 - Lost control over floppy, Cd-rom, Cd-recorder...

SuSE 8.0 - Lost control over floppy, Cd-rom, Cd-recorder...

Post by Luig » Tue, 29 Oct 2002 06:00:01

I have a Linux SuSE 8.0 which installed without problems from a
CD-Rom.
Yesterday I bought a CD-ReWriter, in order to make backups of my
files.
I tried to follow the (too slim) documentation I found at
http://sdb.suse.de/en/sdb/html/tbraza_ide_brenner.html with the hope
it would work. It did not, though. No new (CD-ReWriter) icon appeared
in the desktop.
The worst is that I also lost control over my floppy (Could not mount
device: /dev/fd0 is not a valid block device) and over the formerly
working CD-Rom (Could not mount device: no medium found).
I browsed the usenet, but could not find a way to fix this problem.
I include here a few info:
hdc: CREATIVE CD5233E, ATAPI CD/DVD-ROM drive
hdd: PHILIPS CDRW48P, ATAPI CD/DVD-ROM drive
Somewere in my system I find written that:
PHILIPS CDRW48P has the following
Bus: SCSI
CD Type: cdrw
Device name: /dev/sr1
driver: ide-scsi
notready: Yes
and that *also* CDRW48P has the following
Bus: SCSI
CD Type: cdrom
Device name: /dev/sr0
driver: ide-scsi
notready: Yes

I am a beginner; please help, if possible.
Which commands should I use to undertand and/or fix this annoyance?
Thanks
Luigi Martini

Post by Paul Lutu » Tue, 29 Oct 2002 09:29:18

> I have a Linux SuSE 8.0 which installed without problems from a
> CD-Rom.
> Yesterday I bought a CD-ReWriter, in order to make backups of my
> files.
> I tried to follow the (too slim) documentation I found at
> http://sdb.suse.de/en/sdb/html/tbraza_ide_brenner.html with the hope
> it would work. It did not, though. No new (CD-ReWriter) icon appeared
> in the desktop.

Icons on desktops are not the entire story, you know. Not everything that
you install results in a new desktop icon.

Quote:> The worst is that I also lost control over my floppy (Could not mount
> device: /dev/fd0 is not a valid block device) and over the formerly
> working CD-Rom (Could not mount device: no medium found).

Okay, just a guess, but did you jumper the CD drive properly? If the CD is
connected to an IDE interface, it must be jumpered properly to co-exist
with your other IDE devices.

And ... if you didn't do this, the outcome you describe is exactly what
would happen. Suddenly another device, like your floppy drive, would seem
to disappear.

--
Paul Lutus
www.arachnoid.com

SuSE 8.0 - Lost control over floppy, Cd-rom, Cd-recorder...

Post by Luig » Thu, 31 Oct 2002 15:41:39

Quote:> Okay, just a guess, but did you jumper the CD drive properly?

I will check as soon as I can, and will give you an answer.
Luigi

SuSE 8.0 - Lost control over floppy, Cd-rom, Cd-recorder...

Post by Luig » Mon, 25 Nov 2002 03:36:05

It seems that the jumpers are ok.
From the motherboard *three* gray flat cables go:
1) to the floppy, with just one connector (I never touched it);
2) to the HardDisk, while the second connector is empty (I never touched it);
3) to the CDrom (jumper on Slave) and to CDrecorder (jumper on Master).

Again I submit to you my problem:

In "man mount" I read:
...given a line
/dev/cdrom  /cd  iso9660  ro,user,noauto,unhide
any  user  can  mount the iso9660 file system found on his CDROM using the command
mount /dev/cdrom/

My fstab file is:

/dev/hda2       /       reiserfs        defaults 1 2
/dev/cdrom      /media/cdrom    auto    ro,noauto,user,exec 0 0
/dev/cdrecorder /media/cdrecorder       auto    ro,noauto,user,exec 0 0
devpts  /dev/pts        devpts  defaults 0 0
/dev/fd0        /media/floppy   auto    noauto,user,sync 0 0
proc    /proc   proc    defaults 0 0
usbdevfs        /proc/bus/usb   usbdevfs        noauto 0 0
/dev/hda1       swap    swap    pri=42 0 0

but as I issue the commands, it seems I lost control over my peripherals!

mount: mount point /media/cdrecorder does not exist

mount: No medium found

mount: can't find /dev/floppy in /etc/fstab or /etc/mtab

What can I do, please?
Should I use more sophisticated commands?
Should I touch the hardware?
Or should I....no idea?
Please help!

Luigi

Post by dav.. » Mon, 25 Nov 2002 03:57:22

> mount: mount point /media/cdrecorder does not exist

You need a directory called /media/cdrecorder to mount something into it,
first create the directory, then you can mount the device. The error
message is quite clear, read it.

> mount: No medium found

The CD is empty. Put a CD in it if you want to mount it.

Quote:> mount: can't find /dev/floppy in /etc/fstab or /etc/mtab

The floppy is called /dev/fd0 or /media/floppy, not /dev/floppy, again:
read the error message.

Quote:> What can I do, please?

1. read (really) the error messages
2. create the directories before mounting
3. put a CD in the driver if you want to mount it.
4. do not multipost or cross post.

Davide

Post by David Efflan » Mon, 25 Nov 2002 04:30:03

> It seems that the jumpers are ok.
> From the motherboard *three* gray flat cables go:
> 1) to the floppy, with just one connector (I never touched it);
> 2) to the HardDisk, while the second connector is empty (I never touched it);
> 3) to the CDrom (jumper on Slave) and to CDrecorder (jumper on Master).

> Again I submit to you my problem:

> In "man mount" I read:
> ...given a line
> /dev/cdrom  /cd  iso9660  ro,user,noauto,unhide
> any  user  can  mount the iso9660 file system found on his CDROM using the command
> mount /dev/cdrom/

> My fstab file is:

> /dev/hda2  /       reiserfs        defaults 1 2
> /dev/cdrom /media/cdrom    auto    ro,noauto,user,exec 0 0
> /dev/cdrecorder    /media/cdrecorder       auto    ro,noauto,user,exec 0 0
> devpts     /dev/pts        devpts  defaults 0 0
> /dev/fd0   /media/floppy   auto    noauto,user,sync 0 0
> proc       /proc   proc    defaults 0 0
> usbdevfs   /proc/bus/usb   usbdevfs        noauto 0 0
> /dev/hda1  swap    swap    pri=42 0 0

> but as I issue the commands, it seems I lost control over my peripherals!

> mount: mount point /media/cdrecorder does not exist

Did you add this to fstab yourself?  Does /media/cdrecorder dir exist?
What does /dev/cdrecorder symlink point to?  NOTE: If using scsi or scsi
emulation (which you need to record), dev would be an scd or sr (which are
both same dev) instead of hd.

> mount: No medium found

What does /dev/cdrom symlink point to?  If using scsi or scsi emulation
(check boot messages) see note above.  Normally that should be set up
automatically when SuSE is installed unless drives were added or changed
after that.

> mount: can't find /dev/floppy in /etc/fstab or /etc/mtab

Can you find a /dev/floppy in either of those files?  Try 'mount
/media/floppy' (or /dev/fd0).  Or even 'mount /floppy' should work
(/floppy is a symlink to /media/floppy).

SuSE 8.0 - Lost control over floppy, Cd-rom, Cd-recorder...

Post by Michael Buchenriede » Mon, 25 Nov 2002 18:53:32

[Non-existant newsgroup comp.os.linux removed;
FollowUp-To: set]

[...]

Quote:>mount: mount point /media/cdrecorder does not exist

So there. If there is no directory /media/cdrecorder, you can't mount it.

>mount: No medium found

No CDROM with an iso9660 fs in drive.

>mount: can't find /dev/floppy in /etc/fstab or /etc/mtab

[...]

Right. Read again. It's /dev/fd0, not /dev/floppy.

Michael

1. SuSE 6.2 install loses CD-ROM interrupt=>freezes

I am trying to install SuSE Linux 6.2.  When I try to install from CD,
the installation hangs with "Loading data into ramdisk" displayed.
According to one of the shells, everything is fine and then "hdb:  lost
interrupt" is displayed every few seconds indefinitely.  I have checked
and the hardware is hooked up correctly with a Quantum Bigfoot T2550A
hard drive as master (hda) and an 8x GoldStar GCD-R580B CD-ROM as slave
into the first controller (all (E)IDE).  I am running with a Cyrix 686
166+ and 32 MB RAM on this machine.  The installer seems to recognize
all of the hardware just fine according to the system inventory it gives
before the actual installation from CD.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.  I have not touched LINUX since
486's were still in style and am excited to give it a more thorough
effort if I can figure out how to get started again.  This problem, as
basic as it might be, does not seem to be covered by SuSE's manual or
any web database I can find.

Sincerely,

David Alexander

2. Linux Manual

4. Bizarre cascade of problems.

5. CD-ROM driver for Turtle Beach/Funai 6X CD-ROM?

6. 101 Reasons

7. Intsall from CD-ROM without a CD-ROM

8. differences of the numerous filesystems?

9. Strange CD-ROM Issue (aka CD-ROM Problem)

10. PAS 16 CD-ROM and Slakware96, mounting CD-ROM crashes system

11. CD-ROm ? WHat CD-ROM

12. Mount CD-ROM over network and report as CD-ROM

13. Universal CD-ROM resells LINUX CD-ROM