ALL my kernels won't boot

Post by Nicholas Vees » Fri, 14 Jun 1996 04:00:00

I am having major difficulty.

I have been trying to make new kernels for about a 4 weeks now.  I used
to be able to.  The only event that I can say marked this was _maybe_
the installation of RedHat 2.1.  I have since installed Slackware 3.0

I am using gcc-2.7.2, libc-5.0.8, ld-2.5.21.17
I have tried making 1.2.13, 1.3.62, and now 2.0

With 2.0.  Everything compiles fine, but when I boot, it gets to :

pcibios_init : PCI BIOS revision 2.10 entry at 0xf6f41
Probing PCI hardware.
<crash>

then it gives me "Kernel paging request error, cannot allocate..." a page
of stuff (I suppose standard crash message)

I have an NCR53c810 SCSI card as my main controller.  I have an AMI BIOS
I have disabled the CMD 640 IDE controller.
I have turned off Bridge Optimization and compiled for a 486 instead of a
Pentium (longshot).  None of this seems to work.

Kernels that come from RedHat and Slackware and old kernels I made boot properly,
but ALL new ones do not.

I am at a loss as to how to fix this,and I am at my wits end.

Thank You for your time
tia etc
Nicholas Veeser

1. SCO 3.2v4 won't boot - hangs after 'kernel: i/o bufs'

Hi.
I have an SCO 3.2.4 system that I can't get to boot.  It finds the /unix,
and get all the way to the 'kernel: i/o bufs = 200k' message, where
console I/O stops.  The disk goes on doing I/O of some sort for about
a minute (or more), but none of the normal messages come up.  I have
checked the inittab, and that looks OK, and the /etc/init program is
in place, and looks OK.  I have a usable set of emergency boot floppies,
but I can't seem to find out exactly what is happening.  If anyone has
any ideas, I would greatly appreciate your assistance.

Eric Geyer

Firesign Computer Company

2. perf measuring

3. KERNEL BOOT DISK WON'T BOOT!

4. SCO vs Linux

5. Ultra 30 won't boot from cd (boot: cannot open kernel/unix)

6. newbie question: init 0 hangs

7. Help: Trouble recompiling kernel, won't boot from new Kernel

8. MS Exchange and Masq

9. FreeBSD 4.2 won't boot - 'read error' on boot after install

10. Sparc 20 won't boot and won't display errors, either.

11. *** lilo won't boot win' 95 ***

12. Sparc 20 won't boot and won't display errors, either.

13. Starbuck won't boot, rescue disk won't mount