Suggestions for what modem to buy...

Post by The Lone Scrib » Wed, 07 Apr 1999 04:00:00

External USR/3Com 56k. Forget the internal modems; most of them are
WinModems and are completely worthless for Linux.

Suggestions for what modem to buy...

Post by Barry Flud » Thu, 08 Apr 1999 04:00:00

Could you also say that Linux is useless for them (winmodems). Winmodems
are a software implementation of the usual hardware controls - why can't
some linux guru code to permit these. What's the point of having free
software (linux) and the need to buy all new hardware to get it to run?

Where are all the linux hackers?

Barry f

Post by Lew Pitch » Thu, 08 Apr 1999 04:00:00

>Could you also say that Linux is useless for them (winmodems). Winmodems
>are a software implementation of the usual hardware controls - why can't
>some linux guru code to permit these. What's the point of having free
>software (linux) and the need to buy all new hardware to get it to run?

>Where are all the linux hackers?

>Barry f

Instead of rehashing the reasons (for the 10million'th time), why don't
you do a Deja News search on "Winmodem" in the linux newsgroups and
read the explanation(s).

Lew Pitcher
System Consultant, Integration Solutions Architecture
Toronto Dominion Bank

1. Suggestion: Buying for buying hardware !

The Problem:            Getting hardware supported by linux.
Today's solution:       Anybody of the Linux comunity
                        writes kernel support, modules

My practical suggestion:
                Everytime anyone buys a piece of hardware,
                we request the propper linux support:
                "Ok, win drivers are there. Where's the driver
                for linux? - that's essential for buying it.
                When do you will deliver the linux user/kernel
                modules? within 30 days please or or treaty of
                buying will be void."

Greetings
                Jojo

-Schneckenpost-SlowMail-+--------Telefon-----+---eMails-FastMail----------

28790 Schwanewede/Germany  FAX  +49 4209 5217   CI$: 100013,1564

2. ghostscript help

3. We want to buy a modem for sun Any suggestion?

4. Online Disk Suite vs. Volume Manager Sol 2.5

5. BUY STOCKS ON MONDAY, I want to buy linux stock on Monday, what should I buy ?

6. DMCA makes it into OpenSource Software. Thank you Redhat.

7. Remeber BUY MSFT=BUY USA=BUY AMERICAN, not commie monster SCAM linux

8. Sendmail & DNS training in Santa Clara, DC, Anaheim, Austin, & Atlanta

9. Looking to buy a cdrom - any suggestions or warnings?

10. Suggestion needed on buying PC

11. Buying new Video Card. Any suggestions?

12. Buying backup tape drive: suggestions??

13. PCMCIA to buy: any suggestion??