Parition Magic 4.01 obliterated my ext2 partition

Parition Magic 4.01 obliterated my ext2 partition

Post by R. Paul McCart » Mon, 14 Jun 1999 04:00:00



I don't know how else to describe what Parition Magic did when I resized a linux
ext2 partition from the windows side of a dual boot win95/linux system, then it
obliterated it.

I was so happy when I finally bought the latest version of Partition Magic which
claims to fully support Linux (still can't run the gui in linux though) and the
first thing I wanted to do was resize a linux partition to take advantage of an
800M block of free space I didn't use when I first installed the system.  I
booted windows, opened PM, it recognizes the ext2 partitions just fine, I select
resize, drag the end of the partition into the free space and then select apply
changes, it checks the integrity, checks for bad blocks, updates the partition,
and walla, done.  I go to reboot under linux and get dropped into a shell
because e2fsck encountered too many errors (note the root partition is separate
from the one I resized). So I run e2fsck and it starts scrolling errors about
duplicate/bad blocks.. I figure it'll fix whatever happened and leave it for a
while, an hour later it's still working on it.. 2 hours.. I cancel reboot to
windows and try to size it back.  Again PM gives no complaints and claims
everything if fine.  Reboot to linux, same problem.  I decide to let fsck run
through and leave it overnight.. 10 hours later it's still fixing things and by
my estimates it would have taken at least another day to fix all the problems,
and I'm not sure whether "fix" would mean empty HDD, or recovered files.

Has *anyone* every tried to resize a linux partition using e2fsck? Did I do
something wrong? Any idea how to recover from this? I mean *anything*. After
perusing Powerquests help files I discovered there is a separate linux native
resize utility, which may actually work, whereas I have no evidence that the
windows version knows how to handle linux partitions properly (despite the fact
it let me do it)

Thanks for any advice..
-Paul

 
 
 

Parition Magic 4.01 obliterated my ext2 partition

Post by Pedro Garret » Mon, 14 Jun 1999 04:00:00


[snip]

Quote:

> Has *anyone* every tried to resize a linux partition using e2fsck? Did I do
> something wrong? Any idea how to recover from this? I mean *anything*. After
> perusing Powerquests help files I discovered there is a separate linux native
> resize utility, which may actually work, whereas I have no evidence that the
> windows version knows how to handle linux partitions properly (despite the fact
> it let me do it)

I used the Windows Partion Magic 4.0 utility to resize my Linux
partition and everything went fine, so it does work occasionally at
least :)  I increased my Linux partition from 1GB to 3GB (and reduced
the Windows partition accordingly).  I don't know what might be going on
with your system.

 
 
 

Parition Magic 4.01 obliterated my ext2 partition

Post by Dallman Ros » Mon, 14 Jun 1999 04:00:00



Quote:> I don't know how else to describe what Parition Magic did when I
> resized a linux ext2 partition from the windows side of a dual boot
> win95/linux system, then it obliterated it.
> I was so happy when I finally bought the latest version of Partition
> Magic which claims to fully support Linux (still can't run the gui in
> linux though) and the first thing I wanted to do was resize a linux
> partition to take advantage of an 800M block of free space I didn't
> use when I first installed the system.  I booted windows, opened PM,
> it recognizes the ext2 partitions just fine, I select resize, drag
> the end of the partition into the free space and then select apply
> changes, it checks the integrity, checks for bad blocks, updates
> the partition, and walla, done.  I go to reboot under linux and get
> dropped into a shell because e2fsck encountered too many errors (note
> the root partition is separate from the one I resized). So I run
> e2fsck and it starts scrolling errors about duplicate/bad blocks.. I
> figure it'll fix whatever happened and leave it for a while, an hour
> later it's still working on it.. 2 hours.. I cancel reboot to windows
> and try to size it back.  Again PM gives no complaints and claims
> everything if fine.  Reboot to linux, same problem.  I decide to let
> fsck run through and leave it overnight.. 10 hours later it's still
> fixing things and by my estimates it would have taken at least another
> day to fix all the problems, and I'm not sure whether "fix" would mean
> empty HDD, or recovered files.
> Has *anyone* every tried to resize a linux partition using e2fsck? Did
> I do something wrong? Any idea how to recover from this? I mean
> *anything*. After perusing Powerquests help files I discovered there
> is a separate linux native resize utility, which may actually work,
> whereas I have no evidence that the windows version knows how to
> handle linux partitions properly (despite the fact it let me do it)

I'm not sure what you did, but I use PM4.01 to move and resize my
linux partitions all the time.  I back them up that way, too, to
another drive (rather than using tar); and have migrated a full-blown
four-partition install from one disk to another by way of a third
that stays in my computer.  No problems.  Also changes sizes on
various of the partitions with no troubles.

There are some catches: you often have to use a boot disk at this point,
then rewrite lilo (lilo -v) from within linux; as lilo seems to be
broadcasting the drive/partition geometry somewhere, and that gets
messed up.  But this method -- disk boot into linux, rewrite lilo info
-- works to fix it.  I also use PM's BootMagic, and have that in the
master boot record of my first drive, and have linux on a second drive.
I load lilo to the linux boot partition, not the MBR.  When I do these
resizes or moves, then, I not only have to reinstall lilo as above, but
also have to go into W98 (where I have BootMagic installed and which I
called my "primary boot partition" during the BM install) and delete linux
from the boot options, save and exit; then go back into BM and add linux
back in, save and exit.  This is because BM also keeps geometry
information and has to be updated.  I'll know if I need to do this
because lilo will hang halfway through. . . .

There is a linux FAQ on the PowerQuest pages that contains loads of tips
and info for minimizing heartache when moving ext2 partitions.

--
    \     .-.     .-.     .-.     .-.     .-.     .-.     .-.     /

      '-'     '-'     '-'     '-'     '-'     '-'     '-'     '-'

 
 
 

Parition Magic 4.01 obliterated my ext2 partition

Post by Rod Smi » Mon, 14 Jun 1999 04:00:00


[Posted and mailed]



Quote:> I don't know how else to describe what Parition Magic did when I resized a linux
> ext2 partition from the windows side of a dual boot win95/linux system, then it
> obliterated it.

> I was so happy when I finally bought the latest version of Partition Magic which
> claims to fully support Linux (still can't run the gui in linux though) and the
> first thing I wanted to do was resize a linux partition to take advantage of an
> 800M block of free space I didn't use when I first installed the system.  I
> booted windows, opened PM, it recognizes the ext2 partitions just fine, I select
> resize, drag the end of the partition into the free space and then select apply
> changes, it checks the integrity, checks for bad blocks, updates the partition,
> and walla, done.  I go to reboot under linux and get dropped into a shell
> because e2fsck encountered too many errors (note the root partition is separate
> from the one I resized). So I run e2fsck and it starts scrolling errors about
> duplicate/bad blocks..

[More error reports trimmed...]

Rule 1 when dealing with dynamic partition re-sizing programs: **THEY ARE
INHERENTLY DANGEROUS!!  BACK UP ALL DATA BEFORE DOING A RE-SIZE!!!**

Partition Magic *usually* works without causing problems, but when it
does cause problems, often your only recourse is to recover everything
from a backup.  Similar comments apply to all other partition re-sizers,
like FIPS, Ranish Partition Manager, etc. (though none of these will
resize an ext2 partition, AFAIK).

Personally, I've used PM several times to resize Linux partitions (a lot
of these were tests for the review I wrote of the program in the January
issue of Linux Journal).  Most of these completed without causing damage,
but not all of them.

--
Rod Smith

http://www.channel1.com/users/rodsmith
NOTE: Remove the "uce" word from my address to mail me

 
 
 

Parition Magic 4.01 obliterated my ext2 partition

Post by R. Paul McCart » Mon, 14 Jun 1999 04:00:00


Hindsight is always 20/20, you're right I should have at least backed up
anything irreplaceable. Luckilly some of the most important things (like
AI programs I've written) were backed up on other machines, but alot of it
was only on this partition.

The problem is with backing up a 10GB HD, or in my case several 10GB disks
on multiple machines is that I'd need a DAT drive for so much data, and
they start at $700 (I'm sure you know this already :) and HDD are cheaper
then the backup systems, heck for $700 I could add a whole new computer to
my home network.  Even a CDR drive is almost useless for backing up a
10GB drive.  My plan is to put two HDD in parallel and run a script every
night to copy modified files to the mirror, which at $150/10GB is much
cheaper than any other backup system.

Here's hoping I don't make the same mistake again.
Cheers.
-Paul


> [Posted and mailed]



> > I don't know how else to describe what Parition Magic did when I resized a linux
> > ext2 partition from the windows side of a dual boot win95/linux system, then it
> > obliterated it.

> > I was so happy when I finally bought the latest version of Partition Magic which
> > claims to fully support Linux (still can't run the gui in linux though) and the
> > first thing I wanted to do was resize a linux partition to take advantage of an
> > 800M block of free space I didn't use when I first installed the system.  I
> > booted windows, opened PM, it recognizes the ext2 partitions just fine, I select
> > resize, drag the end of the partition into the free space and then select apply
> > changes, it checks the integrity, checks for bad blocks, updates the partition,
> > and walla, done.  I go to reboot under linux and get dropped into a shell
> > because e2fsck encountered too many errors (note the root partition is separate
> > from the one I resized). So I run e2fsck and it starts scrolling errors about
> > duplicate/bad blocks..

> [More error reports trimmed...]

> Rule 1 when dealing with dynamic partition re-sizing programs: **THEY ARE
> INHERENTLY DANGEROUS!!  BACK UP ALL DATA BEFORE DOING A RE-SIZE!!!**

> Partition Magic *usually* works without causing problems, but when it
> does cause problems, often your only recourse is to recover everything
> from a backup.  Similar comments apply to all other partition re-sizers,
> like FIPS, Ranish Partition Manager, etc. (though none of these will
> resize an ext2 partition, AFAIK).

> Personally, I've used PM several times to resize Linux partitions (a lot
> of these were tests for the review I wrote of the program in the January
> issue of Linux Journal).  Most of these completed without causing damage,
> but not all of them.

> --
> Rod Smith

> http://www.channel1.com/users/rodsmith
> NOTE: Remove the "uce" word from my address to mail me

 
 
 

Parition Magic 4.01 obliterated my ext2 partition

Post by Rod Smi » Tue, 15 Jun 1999 04:00:00


[Posted and mailed]



Quote:

> The problem is with backing up a 10GB HD, or in my case several 10GB disks
> on multiple machines is that I'd need a DAT drive for so much data, and
> they start at $700

There are cheaper alternatives.  For instance, NS20 drives (10GB
uncompressed capacity) go for $300-$400.  The tapes are more expensive
than DAT tapes, though.

If you've got SEVERAL 10GB drives on a network of computers, I'd argue
that $700 is NOT an excessive price to pay to back them all up.  If you've
got, say, five computers, that's only $140 per computer.

Quote:> My plan is to put two HDD in parallel and run a script every
> night to copy modified files to the mirror, which at $150/10GB is much
> cheaper than any other backup system.

This is also a viable option, though not quite as secure or flexible as
using a removable medium such as tape or CD-R.

--
Rod Smith

http://www.channel1.com/users/rodsmith
NOTE: Remove the "uce" word from my address to mail me

 
 
 

Parition Magic 4.01 obliterated my ext2 partition

Post by Daniel Ton » Tue, 15 Jun 1999 04:00:00



> I don't know how else to describe what Parition Magic did when I resized a linux
> ext2 partition from the windows side of a dual boot win95/linux system, then it
> obliterated it.

I had the same setup (using PM for a 3 weeks' new 10G HD)  and had the system
running for only a few days before it complained  about file system access. I am
still trying to see if its is related to that 1024 cylinder limit. Obviously Linux
must have lost when it encountered anything over 1024 then.

I am not sure about the nature of  my problem except that I just reinstalled RH6 the
5 times just to trace the problem source. Pretty steep learning curve though.

Daniel
Toronto

 
 
 

Parition Magic 4.01 obliterated my ext2 partition

Post by Walt Shekrot » Fri, 18 Jun 1999 04:00:00


This is what I have heard. PM has always worked for me too but based on
recent reports, I refuse to use it anymore.

to original poster:
If you had an 800m block and it was in a separate partition which I
assume you were trying to merge, it would have been safer to mount it in the
fstab to a strategic mount point. You'd still be running and have the
space available from that point down. If it was freespace you were
merging, you shot yourself unecessarilly.

And all this talk of 'backing up' so you can use PM! If you're going to the  
trouble of backing up the system then why use PM at all. Just restore
to a reformatted space.

-Walt

 
 
 

Parition Magic 4.01 obliterated my ext2 partition

Post by John Thompso » Fri, 18 Jun 1999 04:00:00



> This is what I have heard. PM has always worked for me too but based on
> recent reports, I refuse to use it anymore.

I've been using Partition Magic since v2.x and never had a
problem with it.  But I have heard of problems from people I
trust, so I do backup before using it.

Quote:> And all this talk of 'backing up' so you can use PM! If you're going to the
> trouble of backing up the system then why use PM at all. Just restore
> to a reformatted space.

Let's see: My way 1.5hrs to backup, run Partition Magic to
do whatever it is I need, reboot, if it works, I'm home
free; if not another 1.5hrs to restore from the tape.  That
means the best case takes 1.5 hours; worst case 3 hours.

Your way: backup for 1.5hrs, repartition, then restore for
another 1.5hrs.  That's 3 hours minimum, no matter how you
cut it.  I figure I can shave 1.5 hours off your time using
Partition Magic, and if for some reason it doesn't work I'm
no worse off than if I did it your way.  And in either case
I end up with a current backup on tape, which is a Good
Thing to have whether or not you are repartitioning your
system.

--


 
 
 

Parition Magic 4.01 obliterated my ext2 partition

Post by Rod Smi » Sat, 19 Jun 1999 04:00:00




Quote:

> And all this talk of 'backing up' so you can use PM! If you're going to the  
> trouble of backing up the system then why use PM at all. Just restore
> to a reformatted space.

Well, let's see:

1) Running any system without a backup is begging for trouble.  Backing up
   prior to running PM is thus just part of the normal system maintenance.
2) Backing up and restoring takes longer than backing up and using PM,
   assuming PM doesn't trash the partition.  If it does trash the
   partition, you've then wasted some time, but given the probabilities of
   success and failure, the mean time to back up and use PM is still less
   than the mean time to back up, repartition, and restore.
3) If you've got several OSes, backing up and restoring means many more
   reboots than does backing up and using PM.
4) Backups can fail.  Murphy's Law says they'll fail after you're
   repartitioned your hard disk.  Therefore, safe procedure for a
   backup-and-restore operation is to back up TWICE.  A single backup
   isn't much safer than using PM without a backup.  (Of course, exactly
   how safe it is depends on the medium you're using, your software, your
   experience, etc.)

OTOH, the backup-and-restore procedure does have the advantage of
defragging the hard disk in the process.  IIRC, e2fsck will tell you how
fragmented your ext2 partitions are, so you can get some idea of whether
this is a worthwhile advantage on any given system.

--
Rod Smith

http://www.channel1.com/users/rodsmith
NOTE: Remove the "uce" word from my address to mail me

 
 
 

Parition Magic 4.01 obliterated my ext2 partition

Post by Walt Shekrot » Sat, 19 Jun 1999 04:00:00


Why use tape .... disks are cheap and tape fails besides being slow.

Just a thought. Please don't be offended :)
-Walt

 
 
 

Parition Magic 4.01 obliterated my ext2 partition

Post by Walt Shekrot » Sat, 19 Jun 1999 04:00:00


Actually I think you missed me entirely ...

I'm NOT advocating not doing backups, I'm simply pointing out that if you can mount
the space without using partition magic it is a better alternative.
(certainly safer)

Backups should always be done ... at least minmally, most recently changed files.
Sorry didn't mean to ruffle feathers, just advocating thought before
action.

-Walt

Then at some point in future a full backup and restore would defrag
and consolidate the mounts. PM although I like it too is a scarey tool.

When I think backup I'm talking hard disk!

 
 
 

Parition Magic 4.01 obliterated my ext2 partition

Post by Juergen Hein » Sat, 19 Jun 1999 04:00:00



>Why use tape .... disks are cheap and tape fails besides being slow.

14 tapes, one for every day and two sets, 112GB, about $98. 14 disks,
one for every day, two sets, 112GB, about $2800 ... aside from the
need of a*driver.

Quote:>Just a thought. Please don't be offended :)

At least I am not offended, I am on off ... $2702 ... that makes for
a nice holiday.

Ta',
Juergen

--
\ Real name     : Jrgen Heinzl                 \       no flames      /

 
 
 

Parition Magic 4.01 obliterated my ext2 partition

Post by j.. » Sat, 19 Jun 1999 04:00:00




>>Why use tape .... disks are cheap and tape fails besides being slow.

>14 tapes, one for every day and two sets, 112GB, about $98. 14 disks,

        Except disks can be more reliably reused than the tapes
        you appear to be using. If you're interested in getting
        the data back again, you're better off mirroring or
        using more serious tape tech (like DLT).

Quote:>one for every day, two sets, 112GB, about $2800 ... aside from the
>need of a*driver.

>>Just a thought. Please don't be offended :)
>At least I am not offended, I am on off ... $2702 ... that makes for
>a nice holiday.

[deletia]

--

bash: the power to toast your registry in style...     |||
                                                      / | \

                        Seeking sane PPP Docs? Try http://www.veryComputer.com/

 
 
 

Parition Magic 4.01 obliterated my ext2 partition

Post by m » Fri, 25 Jun 1999 04:00:00


Hi,

I know one fact:
If you repartition the drive, were you are running Partition Magic from,
you'll have somewhat like a "self swallow" problem, ending up in a damaged
partition. I would run PM from a CD or use the small textversion from floppy.
A friend didn't so, and he lost a entire partition.

bye.


>> This is what I have heard. PM has always worked for me too but based on
>> recent reports, I refuse to use it anymore.

>I've been using Partition Magic since v2.x and never had a
>problem with it.  But I have heard of problems from people I
>trust, so I do backup before using it.

>> And all this talk of 'backing up' so you can use PM! If you're going to the
>> trouble of backing up the system then why use PM at all. Just restore
>> to a reformatted space.

>Let's see: My way 1.5hrs to backup, run Partition Magic to
>do whatever it is I need, reboot, if it works, I'm home
>free; if not another 1.5hrs to restore from the tape.  That
>means the best case takes 1.5 hours; worst case 3 hours.

>Your way: backup for 1.5hrs, repartition, then restore for
>another 1.5hrs.  That's 3 hours minimum, no matter how you
>cut it.  I figure I can shave 1.5 hours off your time using
>Partition Magic, and if for some reason it doesn't work I'm
>no worse off than if I did it your way.  And in either case
>I end up with a current backup on tape, which is a Good
>Thing to have whether or not you are repartitioning your
>system.

 
 
 

1. Moving/Resizing Linux (ext2) partitions with Partition Magic: It works!

This is a success story - I didn't think it would work, but it did.  I did a
fairly complex set of operations (shrinking the FAT partition, moving the
extended partition, deleting one swap partition - resizing another one, and
moving/resizing the ext2 [Linux boot] partition), all in one Pmagic session,
and it worked just fine.

And here's the thing that's amazing: I did not have to re-run LILO - the
thing just booted up fine.  This totally amazed me, except for the fact that
this was a "LILO in the partition - booted by some other boot manager in the
MBR", rather than a "LILO in the MBR" setup.  So, it appears, Pmagic is
actually smart enough to fix the LILO setup if it is in the partition that
is being resized/moved.

Have I got this all right?  BTW, I've sort of lost my Pmagic documentation;
though in fact, I never really read it anyway - since this is the kind of
program that really should be self-documenting - which I've always found it
to be (translation: I haven't screwed up yet).

2. Apache Socks 4 support

3. Partition Magic 4.0 supports ext2 partitions

4. [Fwd: Re: Help: recv takes a long time to time out!]

5. Can Partition Magic resize ext2 partitions?

6. Configuring Multia Network Adapter in RH 5.0

7. Having problems getting lilo ver. 3 to boot MS-DOS 4.01 partition.

8. generic_fillattr() duplicate line.

9. cannont resize ext2 partiton with partition magic

10. Partition Magic & ext2

11. Partition Software - Partition Magic, Bootit, Boot Manager or Ranish Partition Manager

12. Parition Magic, etc?