redhat linux and pap/chap

Post by Richard S. Lumpki » Fri, 31 Jul 1998 04:00:00

If you use the information in the PPP tips for setting up a pap session
on the RedHat site you might be able to get going, in the likely event
your ISP uses pap.
Essentially that is what the standard W95 ppp session is with most ISP's
I've used (5 and counting).  That's what finally cleared up my
problems.  All the other PPP stuff is for chat which uses login scripts,
if that is what your ISP uses they would have given you instructions on
the script format they use.  All this presumes your modem is up and
recognizable.

Richard S. Lumpkin, Ph.D.                            Associate Professor
Department of Chemistry                                     256-890-6365
University of Alabama in Huntsville                     fax 256-890-6349
Huntsville, AL 35899                          http://chromophore.uah.edu

redhat linux and pap/chap

Post by Steven Jackson N3VZ » Fri, 31 Jul 1998 04:00:00

Quote:> or does it read it automatically. my current pppd command line is as followed

> pppd connect 'chat atdt5377796 ogin: blah word: blah' /dev/cua2 115200 crtscts
> modem defaultroute

> what would i use if my isp was pap or chap?

I believe you said that there is no login prompt, right? Your script is
still waiting for the login prompt where you have

ogin: blah word: blah

take those out, and after dialing, pppd will go directly to the
authentication phase using the /etc/ppp/pap-secrets file, which, BTW
should look like this

username * password

Making obvious replacements. Leave the * in there. That means that any
computer can ask you to authenticate.

I do:

cd /var/log
tail messages

VERY frequently when a PPP session fails to start properly. I like to see
everything that goes in there. Especially when you see

Alarm.
Exit.
Failed.

That usually means a dialing script timed out while waiting for something
that never came.

Steve

--
Steve Jackson
Enterprise Client/Server Consultant

1. pppd - PAP, CHAP, MS-CHAP, MS-CHAP-v2 protocol negotiation

Hi,

We have clients connecting to pppd 2.4.2b1.
Clients are able to connect using PAP, CHAP, MS-CHAP, MS-CHAP-v2 if
the pppd configuration is set up to require a specific protocol, eg:

If we change /etc/ppp/options to not request a specific protocol,
clients can only connect using PAP or MS-CHAP-V2. Client trying to
connect through CHAP or MS-CHAP fail and Pppd logs the error "peer
refused to authenticate: terminating link"

pppd configuration:

We'd like our clients to be able to connect using PAP, CHAP, MS-CHAP
or MS-CHAP-v2, the protocol being negotiated by server and client...

I suppose it's a pppd configuration issue; any help is highly
appreciated.
Thx.
dan

2. Using multiple consoles?

3. redhat linux and pap/chap

4. newbie dhcp problems - linux server windows client

5. ***** FRE INTERNET ****

6. Howto dial ISP running NT4 - chap, pap, ms-chap?

7. USB Audio on 2.2.20

8. Setting up PPP (possibly using PAP/CHAP) on Redhat 7.1

9. Under RedHat 5 PPP how do you switch from PAP to CHAP?

10. PAP/CHAP Problems in RedHat

11. PAP/CHAP on a Linux PPP Server

12. Pap/Chap authentication with Suse Linux