Installing Linux for the first time

Post by Tracy Shellenberge » Wed, 11 Nov 1998 04:00:00

Hi everybody,

Tomorrow around 9:00 a.m. in the morning central time (USA) I am going
to be installing Linux for the first time.  I have three distributions
of Linux:  (Debian, Red Hat 5.0, and S.u.S.E. 5.2)  The Red Hat
distribution I got from the the Linux for Dummies book and the S.u.S.E.
distribution I got from the English magazine P.C. Plus.  I have already
tried to install and S.u.S.E. and I did not have enough room on my two
hard drives to pack everything there.  I have successfully installed Red
Hat 5.0 successfully but did not like the window managers and had
trouble accessing the internet with it.  So, I have two more questions
that I would like to have answered if anyone can help me.  They are:

    1.  Since Red Hat 5.0 does not come with Communicator 4.0x can I get
the program from the SuSE CD as long as it is in the rpm format or "tar"
format (after I installed Red Hat 5.0)?

    2.  SuSE also had the KDE desktop manager which appeals to me a lot
from what I have seen .  Can I also get that from the CD once Red Hat is
installed?

I am spoiled by the Netscape Communicator program for Win95 and I don't
think I can get on the net without it very easily so I hope you can help
me.  I will await my installation until I hear from someone in the mail
tomorrow morning.

Thanks for reading this

Sincerely,
Rev. Tracy Shellenberger

Installing Linux for the first time

Post by Henrik Lidbj?r » Thu, 12 Nov 1998 04:00:00

Hello!

OK... Firsty, I recommend Slackware or Debian, though I haven't tried it
yet, although a friend of mine has. Anyway, here's the answers to your
questions:

Quote:>     1.  Since Red Hat 5.0 does not come with Communicator 4.0x can I
> get the program from the SuSE CD as long as it is in the rpm format or
> "tar" format (after I installed Red Hat 5.0)?

Yes, definitely. Tarred and gzipped files (extension tar.gz) are fully
compatible with all distributions. Rpm is RedHat's package-format, and
works as well.

Quote:

>     2.  SuSE also had the KDE desktop manager which appeals to me a
> lot from what I have seen .  Can I also get that from the CD once Red
> Hat is installed?

Yes, if SuSE doesn't have their own package-format (I have no experience
with SuSE).

Quote:

> I am spoiled by the Netscape Communicator program for Win95 and I
> don't think I can get on the net without it very easily so I hope you
> can help me.  I will await my installation until I hear from someone
> in the mail tomorrow morning.

OK. Installing Netscape Communicator is very easy, but the Linux version
actually lacks some features found in the Windoze version, for example
offline-mode and automatic address-completion from in the address-field.
Otherwise, it's almost identic. But be sure to set the X-resource (in
~/.Xdefaults) netscape*busyCursor to change the clock-cursor that for
some stupid reason shows up in Communicator as soon as you load a page.
I don't really see why Netscape don't include the lacking features in
the Linux-version. It wouldn't be hard at all.

Well... good luck with your Linux installation and setup!
Just mail back if there's something else you wonder.

/Henrik
--
                   /-------\
                 (o  O _ O  o)

|               ICQ: 4417505    WWW: http://www.algonet.se/~lidbjork        |
|            ooOOO                                                      |
\------------|
|-----OOOOo-------------------------------------------/
              \__/     |    /
                        \__/

1. Installing Linux for the first time

hummm.... I can't realy see anything there that dosen't work with
linux(atlest with slackware).....just write EVERYthing down before you whipe
it irq base add ect...
yes you could could set it up with a dual-triple-quad.... you get the point
there faq and how-to's all over the web on it you probably can find one about
it from where you got the version of linux from..... the choice of what
version of linux is a personal choice.... I like slackware personaly.... I'm
shure you know that there are difarences inbetween the versions so go with
what you like.... I'd recomend eather redhat or slackware... you can find
more on the difrances between the 2 on the web.

2. Unknown ports listening for a connection.

3. Installing Linux for the first time. NEED HELP!!

4. snd-card-sb16.o for SUSE Linux 7.0 with a kernel recompiled to 2.2.18

5. Help!! Installing Linux 5.2 for first time.

6. How to change a running process to nohup

7. Installing Linux for the first time...

8. Non-anonymous FTP fails since upgrading Slackware

9. Installing Linux for the first time

10. Unable to install Linux for the first time

11. Installing Linux for the first time!!! HELP???`

12. How to install linux for the first time?

13. installing linux for the first time(Help Is Needed)