Kerner panic: VFS: unable to mount root fs on 03:01

Kerner panic: VFS: unable to mount root fs on 03:01

Post by Ivan Gusti » Wed, 21 Oct 1998 04:00:00

Hi,

I have Linux Internet server based on CalderaOpenLinux Base 1.1 with kernel
2.0.29. and everything works fine until I recompiled my kernel. I recompiled
kernel with some additional options (firewall, quota...), but new kernel
won't boot.

More information: PC is VLB 486DX2/66 with Adaptec VL-300 controller with
integrated IDE and I/O ports. I have two disks: IDE (as /dev/hda1) with LILO
on it's boot sector and root filesystem, and SCSI disk with swap space
(/dev/sda1) and additional data space (/dev/sda2).

I added SCSI Adaptec 152x support in recompiling. I ran LILO after editing
lilo.conf (for adding two kernel images: old and new).

First, kernel hangs at the very begining with message "ran out of input
data - system halted".
When I boot with option "linux aha152x" kernel boots, but just 'till message
"Kernel panic: VFS: unable to mount root fs at 03:01". In this way, kernel
recognizes SCSI controller, SCSI disk and it's partitions.

Why kernel can't boot to the end?!?

Thank for any suggestion.

--
Bye,
Ivan Gustin

Kerner panic: VFS: unable to mount root fs on 03:01

Post by Neil Kooze » Sun, 25 Oct 1998 04:00:00

[recompiled the kernel]

Quote:> When I boot with option "linux aha152x" kernel boots, but just 'till
message
> "Kernel panic: VFS: unable to mount root fs at 03:01". In this way,
kernel
> recognizes SCSI controller, SCSI disk and it's partitions.

If it still boots with the old kernel, then the filesystem is ok.  My only
idea is that you forgot to select "Second extended file system" support
when you compiled the kernel, or that you made it a module.

Neil.

1. Kernel Panic: VFS: unable to mount root fs on 03:01

Kernel Panic: VFS: unable to mount root fs on 03:01

This is the message I get when trying to boot Linux now. I recompiled a
new kernel and now it doesn't boot, it stops at this message. I have
compiled the kernel at least 4 times and everytime I get this. I can
boot the old kernel from a floppy. Do I have lilo setup wrong? Someone
told me I may have to do something with rdev and making a patch to the
new kernel with boot partition. I don't know what that means, but it
sounds like something I should try. Someone else told me to do something
with 'mkinitd'. I really need some more details, these vague
suggestions, while they are appreciated, are not really helping me.

Keith

2. LCD Panel from VGA card ...

3. Kernel panic: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on 03:01

4. Win 95 apps in Linux

5. Kernel panic : VFS Unable to mount root fs on 03:01

6. bringing up ethernet on redhat 4.2

7. DOS filesystem: kernel panic: VFS: unable to mount fs on 03:01

8. [Fwd: How can I define a non root backup user???????????]

9. unable to mount roof fs on 03:01

10. Kernel panic:VFS:Unable to mount root fs on 0:1:00

11. Kernel panic: VFS: Unable to mount root fs...

12. Kernel panic: VFS: unable to mount root fs

13. Help: Kernel Panic: VFS unable to mount root fs