Ide help reqd.

Post by P J Sear » Thu, 25 Jul 1996 04:00:00

I am trying to install slackware from the latest infomagic developers
resorce CD.  My problem (I think) is more with the PC than with Linux but
here goes....

I have had 2 HD's and a CD running through DOS for the last 3 months
(2xHD on the IDE card and CD rom on the soundcard).  I tried to install
linux using sbpcd kernal and it would not find the CD.  Thinking that
this was a simple problem I decided to get all the devices on the IDE
card since I have a 4 device one and can not get more than two devices to
work... (either dos or linux).  The second channel does not seem to
work,  Having examined the card there are no jumpers that need to be set
(not that I can make head nor tail of the instructions) but here I am
stuck....

Can anyone suggest a remedy ??

                                Thanks
                                        Paddy

 _

                _|

Ide help reqd.

Post by Dan Merci » Fri, 26 Jul 1996 04:00:00

Quote:

>I am trying to install slackware from the latest infomagic developers
>resorce CD.  My problem (I think) is more with the PC than with Linux but
>here goes....

>I have had 2 HD's and a CD running through DOS for the last 3 months
>(2xHD on the IDE card and CD rom on the soundcard).  I tried to install
>linux using sbpcd kernal and it would not find the CD.  Thinking that
>this was a simple problem I decided to get all the devices on the IDE
>card since I have a 4 device one and can not get more than two devices to
>work... (either dos or linux).  The second channel does not seem to
>work,  Having examined the card there are no jumpers that need to be set
>(not that I can make head nor tail of the instructions) but here I am
>stuck....

>Can anyone suggest a remedy ??

There may not be jumpers on the card but there should be jumpers on your
cdrom and harddrives Check that you have a master and slave.
Also With the cdrom you may have the right drive but you may have to set it
properly in bootup. I had to get a line saying hdd=cdrom or something.
Sorry am not more clear but its been a while since i've worked with linux.
Hope this helps a little.
:

>                                Thanks
>                                        Paddy

> _

>                _|

1. HELP REQD: Large IDE drive (Fujitsu MPC3102AT 10.24 GB)

I've got a 10GB Fujitsu MPC3102AT drive in a PC here, as secondary
master.

Now, the BIOS doesn't seem to like drives over 8GB (or possibly smaller)
'cause it's not very new; however, this shouldn't be a problem since I
don't want to boot off the drive, I merely want to stick a large (all of
it) data partition on it.

First problem: fdisk only seems to think it's got 16383 cyl, 16 heads,
63 sectors for a total of 8.45 gb.

Second problem: if I set aside a single partition, /dev/hdc1 as
basically taking up the whole disk, I can mkfs -t ext2 /dev/hdc1 with no
errors reported.

However, when I run /sbin/fsck.ext2 -f /dev/hdc1, the following error
occurs:

        Short read trying to fetch block 2064420

The same error occurs for every block beyond that.

I notice that 2064420/63=32768, which leads me to believe there's some
16-bit value in the kernel playing sillybuggers ("you want me find
sector -32768? get a grip" sort of thing).

It's all very well noticing this, however, but I'd like to know what to
do about it.

The kernel, by the way, is 2.0.36; this is a fairly old PC but new
enough that the motherboard ought to be able to cope with 10GB drives.

Help! What next?

I'd appreciate it if any (constructive) comments could be CC:'d to:

Thanks in advance,

jan
--
Leverage that synergy! Ooh yeah, looking good! Now stretch - and relax.

2. RH 7.1.94 NFS/RPC problem

3. add_install_client help reqd!

4. How to restart dtwm on Solaris 2.6/CDE 1.02

5. Help reqd to setup TERM

6. Filebrowsing problems

7. Help reqd for device driver on sun-sparc 5's

8. How to connect to HP Unix machine

9. Core File Analysis - URGENT HELP REQD.

10. Help reqd installing pop3d under RedHat

11. Win ME RH 7.2 dual boot help reqd.

12. Basic Cron Question....Help reqd.

13. Help reqd