Dual booting system; Windows2000 keep formatting linux partition to NTFS again and again

Dual booting system; Windows2000 keep formatting linux partition to NTFS again and again

Post by Kevi » Fri, 25 Oct 2002 21:38:48

I'm using Red Hat 6 and windows 2000 professional.
GRUB is doing my dual booting.

It works fine right after when I set those up BUT during the last month
Windows was formatting Linux partition to NTFS 3 times.
I found that from windows and I see new volume has been added.
Then, of course, it's not bootable, since GRUB is no longer there.
I had  to reinstall Linux.

Does any one had similar problem?
-Kevin

Post by John Thompso » Sat, 26 Oct 2002 09:35:21

> I'm using Red Hat 6 and windows 2000 professional.
> GRUB is doing my dual booting.

> It works fine right after when I set those up BUT during the last month
> Windows was formatting Linux partition to NTFS 3 times.
> I found that from windows and I see new volume has been added.
> Then, of course, it's not bootable, since GRUB is no longer there.
> I had  to reinstall Linux.

This is usually a result of the linux partition having the wrong partition
type in the partition table ID field.  If it has a partition type ID that
Windows thinks belongs to it, then Windows will try to read the partition,
fail because it doesn't have a Windows filesystem on it, and then
cheerfully format the disk for you because Windows always knows best.

The solution is to make sure your linux partitions have linux partition
IDs: type 82 for linux swap and type 83 for linux native.  You can view
and set these using linux fdisk.

--

1. Dual booting system; Windows2000 keep formatting linux partition to NTFS again and again

I'm using Red Hat 6 and windows 2000 professional.
GRUB is doing my dual booting.

It works fine right after when I set those up BUT during the last month
Windows was formatting Linux partition to NTFS 3 times.
I found that from windows and I see new volume has been added.
Then, of course, it's not bootable, since GRUB is no longer there.
I had  to reinstall Linux.

Does any one had similar problem?
-Kevin

2. Question about Enlightenment WM

3. Building Glibc 2.1.2 again, again and again

4. Journaling Filesystem Anyone?

5. Splitting c.o.l Again, and Again, and AGAIN!!!

6. How to dual boot Win2000 & RedHat6.1??

7. Again, again, and again

8. Apache 1.1.1

9. LinuxMall spams again and again and again...

10. Linux fails to boot after dual-booting Windows 95;Reinstall LILO and it works again!?

11. System restart again and again automatically

12. Reformatting Linux Hard Drive Partition to DOS format again