Drive 720M

Post by Stephane Carre » Wed, 29 Mar 1995 17:33:39

I have a HD of 720M
When I don't have a partition used by MS-DOS (all the partitions
are used by Linux), it's OK.
But when I want to use MS-DOS on some partitions and Linux at the same
time, I have big problems :
  MS-DOS says that the partitions that it uses have not the size
that they should have
  Linux can't find the partitions that it should use (I boot from drive)
It's because I use Boot Track Disk Manager ? (MS-DOS can't recognize HD
that have a size > 520) ?
Help me.
Thanks.

--

        {~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~}
        { Stephane Carreau                      | Universite Bordeaux I }

        {~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~}

Drive 720M

Post by George A. Cra » Thu, 30 Mar 1995 04:00:00

>Subject: Drive 720M
>Date: 28 Mar 1995 08:33:39 GMT
>I have a HD of 720M
>When I don't have a partition used by MS-DOS (all the partitions
>are used by Linux), it's OK.
>But when I want to use MS-DOS on some partitions and Linux at the same
>time, I have big problems :
>  MS-DOS says that the partitions that it uses have not the size
>that they should have
>  Linux can't find the partitions that it should use (I boot from drive)
>It's because I use Boot Track Disk Manager ? (MS-DOS can't recognize HD
>that have a size > 520) ?
>Help me.
>Thank

1. Can your cmos setup program recognize and store your physical drive
characteristics? i,e 1416 cyl, 16 heads, 63 sec. If so, proceed otherwise
don't.

2. *** Back everything up first!! *** Then wipe out everything - especially
that stupid Ontrack Disk Manager. The install fried my drive partition and I
lost a +100 page c program I was working on - Not Nice! Unfortunately I had
not run a backup on it; yet I am lucky enough to have a hard copy of a similar
program. At any rate,

3. Create a DOS partition below the 1024th cyclinder. ( DOS
limitation!) This will allow DOS to boot properly. This means you can have up
to a 5028mb DOS partition. Anything less is acceptable and in some cases
desireable.

4. Create various linux partitions using linux's fdisk. This fdisk ignores the
1024 boundary. But be careful, another problem I was having was dos fdisk was
overlapping the partition that linux fdisk was creating, once I straightened
that out, I had no problems. You want the START of the linux bootable
partition to also reside under the 1024 cyclinder limitation. This allows lilo
to work correctly. I also have a 720Mb HD and I placed linux at the 1017
cylinder to yield approx. 192 mb. ( I also have another HD, so it was ok to
keep that partition rather small ).  From there, it is only booting the
respective os and its install sets for the partitions to be formatted.

If you need any more help, just ask!

Good luck

Drive 720M

Post by H. Peter Anv » Thu, 30 Mar 1995 04:00:00

In newsgroup: comp.os.linux.setup

Quote:

> 4. Create various linux partitions using linux's fdisk. This fdisk
> ignores the
> 1024 boundary. But be careful, another problem I was having was dos fdisk was
> overlapping the partition that linux fdisk was creating, once I straightened
> that out, I had no problems. You want the START of the linux bootable
> partition to also reside under the 1024 cyclinder limitation. This
> allows lilo
> to work correctly. I also have a 720Mb HD and I placed linux at the 1017
> cylinder to yield approx. 192 mb. ( I also have another HD, so it was ok to
> keep that partition rather small ).  From there, it is only booting the
> respective os and its install sets for the partitions to be formatted.

No!  You want the Linux bootable partition to END before cyl
1024... otherwise you're in for a * surprise at upgrade time.  If
you can't afford the space to stick your root partition there, make
/boot its own partition, and keep the kernel image in /boot.

        /hpa

1. can't erase tape drive: was DAT drive kill SCSI

SCO Unix 5.04.

As described in a previous posting, I am trying to cure a problem where
writing to a newly installed HP 2/4MB DAT tape, causes the SCSI bus to
go loopy and Unix to panic.

A further symptom to this is that I cannot remove the tape drive from
the SCSI devices.  Using mkdev tape, the system will _always_ display
(under option 6 - display current devices) a unit 0 being the last tape
previously featured in the machine.  Yet, if I try to remove this device
it reports "no tape drives configured".

In trying to cure my problem, I wish to remove all tape drives and start
afresh.  But I cannot remove this apparantly ghost device.  Obviously
there is an inconsistency in the SCSI database someplace, but I don't
know where.

Could this be causing the SCSI bus problem.

mkdev tape will let me press ahead and add a drive ok and it will appear
in the listing from hwconfig, with the correct ID etc.  But still the
system mishaves.  It  copies to tape very slowly and then eventually
crashes :-(

TIA

--
joe mc cool
                                   The more you say the less the better.

Benburb                            compuserve: 100117,2613
N. Ireland                         voice     : (044) 1861 548074
BT71 7LN                           fax       : (044) 1861 549860

2. Help in STREAM (LiS) 2.8 installation problem under 6.2

3. DAT drives and Ditto drives

4. ipchains - multiple NAT problem

5. LILO: Dual boot Linux drive+Win95 drive problem

6. 1. talk to modem?? 2. constant HD access

7. Unable to access or mount hard drive/floppy drive from Rescue mode

8. Internet Faststart as Gateway

9. Does disklabel not like my hard drive, or is drive bad?

10. Cant see dos drive from linux drive

11. LILO on drive 0 instead of Drive 1

12. Double or drive spaced Dos drives Is there a mount type for these

13. Tape Drive Setup for HP Colorado T100 Drives