SuSE 6.2 install loses CD-ROM interrupt=>freezes

SuSE 6.2 install loses CD-ROM interrupt=>freezes

Post by David P. Alexande » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

I am trying to install SuSE Linux 6.2.  When I try to install from CD,
the installation hangs with "Loading data into ramdisk" displayed.
According to one of the shells, everything is fine and then "hdb:  lost
interrupt" is displayed every few seconds indefinitely.  I have checked
and the hardware is hooked up correctly with a Quantum Bigfoot T2550A
hard drive as master (hda) and an 8x GoldStar GCD-R580B CD-ROM as slave
into the first controller (all (E)IDE).  I am running with a Cyrix 686
166+ and 32 MB RAM on this machine.  The installer seems to recognize
all of the hardware just fine according to the system inventory it gives
before the actual installation from CD.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.  I have not touched LINUX since
486's were still in style and am e*d to give it a more thorough
effort if I can figure out how to get started again.  This problem, as
basic as it might be, does not seem to be covered by SuSE's manual or
any web database I can find.

Sincerely,

David Alexander

SuSE 6.2 install loses CD-ROM interrupt=>freezes

Post by Tom Abbot » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

I am running SuSE 6.2 on a Dell laptop just fine, but it's a pentium 300
based system.  Do you boot from the cdrom then install or do you use the
supplied floppy disks to boot then install from the cdrom..?

- Tom

SuSE 6.2 install loses CD-ROM interrupt=>freezes

Post by draco.reli » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Hi, David.  I'm a fresh newbie on SuSE 6.2, having installed
it just this past weekend.  I don't  -know-  what your problem
is, but as I read your post it reminded me of something I read
a couple days ago.

It seems that Power Management can cause problems for Linux,
as can Shadowed Video Ram.  It's just a guess on my part, but
you might try disabling these settings in your BIOS and trying
again.

If I wrong, you'll still have your problem but your machine
might be a bit slower.  If I'm right, you'll get past this
sticking point.

I don't know if you can shed any light on this, but I can't
seem to get Linux to recognize my network card (NE2000 clone).
I've posted 2 messages in this forum asking for help but in 3
days no one has responded.

If you have any ideas about this, I'd sure appreciate your
feedback.  I'm checking the newsgroups every day for replies,
but you're welcome to email me as well.

Thanks, and good luck!

draco.relish

>I am trying to install SuSE Linux 6.2.  When I try to install from CD,
>the installation hangs with "Loading data into ramdisk" displayed.
>According to one of the shells, everything is fine and then "hdb:  lost
>interrupt" is displayed every few seconds indefinitely.  I have checked
>and the hardware is hooked up correctly with a Quantum Bigfoot T2550A
>hard drive as master (hda) and an 8x GoldStar GCD-R580B CD-ROM as slave
>into the first controller (all (E)IDE).  I am running with a Cyrix 686
>166+ and 32 MB RAM on this machine.  The installer seems to recognize
>all of the hardware just fine according to the system inventory it gives
>before the actual installation from CD.

>Any help would be greatly appreciated.  I have not touched LINUX since
>486's were still in style and am e*d to give it a more thorough
>effort if I can figure out how to get started again.  This problem, as
>basic as it might be, does not seem to be covered by SuSE's manual or
>any web database I can find.

>Sincerely,

>David Alexander

SuSE 6.2 install loses CD-ROM interrupt=>freezes

Post by David P. Alexande » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

I am booting from a boot disk (I have tried the one supplied and a couple of
others just to see).  My system will not boot from a CD-ROM.

Thanks.

-David

> I am running SuSE 6.2 on a Dell laptop just fine, but it's a pentium 300
> based system.  Do you boot from the cdrom then install or do you use the
> supplied floppy disks to boot then install from the cdrom..?

> - Tom

SuSE 6.2 install loses CD-ROM interrupt=>freezes

Post by David P. Alexande » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Thanks for your suggestion.  Unfortunately, I already tried disabling power
management and this did not help.

Sorry, at this point I haven't gotten to figuring out network cards yet.

Good luck!

-David

> Hi, David.  I'm a fresh newbie on SuSE 6.2, having installed
> it just this past weekend.  I don't  -know-  what your problem
> is, but as I read your post it reminded me of something I read
> a couple days ago.

> It seems that Power Management can cause problems for Linux,
> as can Shadowed Video Ram.  It's just a guess on my part, but
> you might try disabling these settings in your BIOS and trying
> again.

> If I wrong, you'll still have your problem but your machine
> might be a bit slower.  If I'm right, you'll get past this
> sticking point.

> I don't know if you can shed any light on this, but I can't
> seem to get Linux to recognize my network card (NE2000 clone).
> I've posted 2 messages in this forum asking for help but in 3
> days no one has responded.

> If you have any ideas about this, I'd sure appreciate your
> feedback.  I'm checking the newsgroups every day for replies,
> but you're welcome to email me as well.

> Thanks, and good luck!

> draco.relish

> >I am trying to install SuSE Linux 6.2.  When I try to install from CD,
> >the installation hangs with "Loading data into ramdisk" displayed.
> >According to one of the shells, everything is fine and then "hdb:  lost
> >interrupt" is displayed every few seconds indefinitely.  I have checked
> >and the hardware is hooked up correctly with a Quantum Bigfoot T2550A
> >hard drive as master (hda) and an 8x GoldStar GCD-R580B CD-ROM as slave
> >into the first controller (all (E)IDE).  I am running with a Cyrix 686
> >166+ and 32 MB RAM on this machine.  The installer seems to recognize
> >all of the hardware just fine according to the system inventory it gives
> >before the actual installation from CD.

> >Any help would be greatly appreciated.  I have not touched LINUX since
> >486's were still in style and am e*d to give it a more thorough
> >effort if I can figure out how to get started again.  This problem, as
> >basic as it might be, does not seem to be covered by SuSE's manual or
> >any web database I can find.

> >Sincerely,

> >David Alexander

SuSE 6.2 install loses CD-ROM interrupt=>freezes

Post by Tom William » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Quote:> I am running SuSE 6.2 on a Dell laptop just fine, but it's a pentium
300
> based system.  Do you boot from the cdrom then install or do you use
the
> supplied floppy disks to boot then install from the cdrom..?

> - Tom

Hi! This is another Tom!  I'm not an SuSE user, so please don't quote
me but if th SuSE CD is a bootable CD, then you should be able to boot
from it, then install.  If you are having problems, then definitely
boot from floppy then install from CD. Hopefully, the floppies with
have the correct CD support for your particular CD-ROM drive.

Peace....

(Another) Tom

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

SuSE 6.2 install loses CD-ROM interrupt=>freezes

Post by Josh Osborn » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

This may be a shot in the dark.  I also installed on a Quantum bigfoot.  I
had trouble during the "initialize swap partition".  There may be something
flaky about this drive.  What I ended up doing was using fdisk or some other
utility instead of the SuSE utility to set up partitions.  This allowed me
to finish installing.  It works like a champ now, except that the bigfoot is
slow as a slug.  I think its time to buy a new drive...  Another think that
helped me was to turn off the BIOS auto resource assignment.

Regards,
Josh

> I am trying to install SuSE Linux 6.2.  When I try to install from CD,
> the installation hangs with "Loading data into ramdisk" displayed.
> According to one of the shells, everything is fine and then "hdb:  lost
> interrupt" is displayed every few seconds indefinitely.  I have checked
> and the hardware is hooked up correctly with a Quantum Bigfoot T2550A
> hard drive as master (hda) and an 8x GoldStar GCD-R580B CD-ROM as slave
> into the first controller (all (E)IDE).  I am running with a Cyrix 686
> 166+ and 32 MB RAM on this machine.  The installer seems to recognize
> all of the hardware just fine according to the system inventory it gives
> before the actual installation from CD.

> Any help would be greatly appreciated.  I have not touched LINUX since
> 486's were still in style and am e*d to give it a more thorough
> effort if I can figure out how to get started again.  This problem, as
> basic as it might be, does not seem to be covered by SuSE's manual or
> any web database I can find.

> Sincerely,

> David Alexander

SuSE 6.2 install loses CD-ROM interrupt=>freezes

Post by A. Kh » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Just a thought, try putting the CDROM on the 2nd IDE controller as
master i.e. /dev/hdc.  A couple of  years ago, one of the users from
the local Linux group had a problem wherein the install would freeze
in the middle; the IDE HDD and the CDROM were on the same IDE
contoller.  He moved the CROM to the 2nd IDE controller and the
problem went away.  Don't know if this is the case in your situation.
But worth a try.

Quote:

--
A. Khan
EMAIL address is ->>  arunkhan at xnet period com

1. RH 6.0 install loses IDE CD-ROM interrupt at SCSI probe

Hi,
    I have been trying to install RH 6.0 and am not being too
successful.  I have 5.2 installed and have tried ezstart.bat and making
the CD-ROM install boot disk but both have the same problem.  After I
select Upgrade or Install, and then an installation method, RH 6.0 moves
to the SCSI probe section of the install and begins to probe the PCI
bus.  At this point, the install appears to hang and, upon selection
virtual terminal 4 (ctrl-alt-F4) I see the message:

<7> iso 9660 Extensions: RRIP_1991A
<4> hdb: lost interrupt
<4> hdb: lost interrupt
<4> hdb: lost interrupt

with the last message repeating every 2-10 seconds.  I have a fairly
vanilla system:

VIA 503+ MB with K6-2/300, 64MB RAM
ESS 1869 PCI sound card
Linksys PCI 10 base-t ethernet card
Maxtor 851208A HD as hda
Optics 12x IDE ATAPI CD-ROM drive as hdb
Elsa winnner 2000PRO/X-2 video card

and am not sure why the scsi probe is messing up the CD-ROM drive.  I
tried moving the CD-ROM to hdc but that failed with similar messages.
Is there any known way to prevent the SCSI probe?  Would that solve my
problems?  Any other suggestions?

--Ron

2. Running Linux and Windows

3. Lost interrupt error from cdrom when installing packages in RedHat 6.0 from CD-ROM(LITEON brand)

4. WakonLan Aix 4.3

5. Jaz Jet PCI for SuSE 6.2: can't see Jaz nor SCSI CD-ROM

6. hpnp.mib MIB SNMP & SunNet Manager

7. SuSE 8.0 - Lost control over floppy, Cd-rom, Cd-recorder...

8. SLIP can't can't resolve ANYONE

9. RH 6.2 cdrom install lost interrupt`

10. CD-ROM not Recognized During Install (Red Hat 6.2)

11. CD-ROM mount needs source <--> source needs CD-ROM mount

12. RedHat 6.2 in SPARC Parallel CD Rom Install

13. "hdd: lost interrupt" during installation (Redhat 6.2)...