HELP HELP HELP...pretty please :)

Post by Emissar » Thu, 09 Apr 1998 04:00:00

Hi all,

1)    Okay, my question is that I have a 4.3 gig Ultra DMA Hard drive.  Its
been partitioned into 3...(c: 2.0 gigs), (d: 1.3 gigs), and (e: 1 gig) okay
well, win95 is on c: and e: and on c: it takes up 659 megs...well I know
that Red Hat Linux 5.0 needs to be installed in the first 1024
cylinders...but I want to install RHL 5 on my d: drive (Im going to reformat
it for the Linux file system) however, can anyone tell me if lilo will work
with it setup like this?

2) I have a Nitro 3D, its a virge/gx pci card...ive heard that metro x(i
believe) doesnt work with this card..is that true? Does anyone have a
virge/gx that works with a X window?

3)Before I install RHL 5 do i need to download drivers for my cards (eg
soundblaster64, Nitro 3d, Network card, modem 56k Motorola PnP)?

Thank you in advance!

Emissary

http://vdpower.gamesmania.com/demoreviews

HELP HELP HELP...pretty please :)

Post by Brion Vibbe » Thu, 09 Apr 1998 04:00:00

[posted and mailed]

> 1)    Okay, my question is that I have a 4.3 gig Ultra DMA Hard drive.  Its
> been partitioned into 3...(c: 2.0 gigs), (d: 1.3 gigs), and (e: 1 gig) okay
> well, win95 is on c: and e: and on c: it takes up 659 megs...well I know
> that Red Hat Linux 5.0 needs to be installed in the first 1024
> cylinders...but I want to install RHL 5 on my d: drive (Im going to reformat
> it for the Linux file system) however, can anyone tell me if lilo will work
> with it setup like this?

It should work. Ultra-DMA is only likely to be a problem if you're using a PCI
card-based UDMA controller like the Promise Ultra33. If you are, see the
Ultra-DMA mini-HOWTO wherever HOWTOs are provided.

Quote:> 2) I have a Nitro 3D, its a virge/gx pci card...ive heard that metro x(i
> believe) doesnt work with this card..is that true? Does anyone have a
> virge/gx that works with a X window?

I used to have some variety of Nitro 3D, it worked fine. But I think this was
virge/DX not /GX. Just a sec while I look something up... From the XFree86
3.3.2 documentation (http://www.xfree86.org):

Quote:>>With release 3.3.2 of XFree86, there are now two servers which support the

ViRGE family of chips. The XF86_S3V server is a dedicated server which supports
the S3 ViRGE (86C325), the ViRGE/DX (86C375), ViRGE/GX (86C385) and the
ViRGE/VX (86C988) chips. New with this release, the above ViRGE chipsets are
also supported in the XF86_SVGA server, which includes a new ViRGE driver
making use of the XAA acceleration architecture and also supports ViRGE/GX2
(86C357) and ViRGE/MX (86C260) chips now. <<

So, at least with the current XFree86 you should have no problem. RH5 includes
3.3.1, so you may or may not need to upgrade. Also, I don't know if MetroX will
work - stick with XFree86 unless you know for sure that MetroX will work.

Quote:> 3)Before I install RHL 5 do i need to download drivers for my cards (eg
> soundblaster64, Nitro 3d, Network card, modem 56k Motorola PnP)?

You shouldn't need to. Network card drivers should be built into the kernel or
provided as a module that you can select when configuring the system. Sound
support, the same deal (except for cards not supported by the free drivers).
Video - if it's supported by XFree86 3.3.1 you're fine, if you need to upgrade
then you'll need to download the new version of XFree86. PnP modems are
notoriously hard to configure with Linux, but you shouldn't need any additional
software that's not included w/ RH.

1. Help please - strange FTP problem - any help much appreciated :)

I have a RedHat 7.3 fully updated linuxbox.  I had ProFTP running in
standalone mode perfectly, and I could log on from the office to the
linuxbox which is at home - no probs.

Then I had a HD problem (SMART error warning of impending HD failure)
which caused me to return the HD under warranty and replace it with a
bigger one. (40 Gb vs 20 for the original one).  The tech shop imaged my
original HD then cloned it onto the new one.  Of course, the partition
info was all wrong, but using Webmin, I was able to add the extra space
as a new partition, and all seems to work OK with this one exception.
Hence my problem:

When I try to log on to ProFTP now, all I get is an error message along
the lines of "Machine doesn't recognise a simple FTP command" plus some
other gibberish - I can't remember exactly as I'm at home at the moment,
and on the linux box.  I've re-installed ProFTP, installed the latest
upgrade (1.2.7 RC1) but the problem remains.  I've tried Googling the
error message to no avail.  I've searched every Linux book I have to no
avail - no mention of such an error message or what it means.

gftp and webmin both show that the ProFTP daemon is running OK.  The conf
file is unaltered from when it all worked before.  I've just upgraded to
the latest kernel from RHN, etc etc - but still no worky :((

I've tried to figure it out for myself, but as a newbie, I'm finally
stumped.  Could one of you gurus out there shed any light on this
problem, please?

If all fails, what is involved with a re-install of Red Hat 7.3?  Can I
just install over the top of the existing one, as in Windows, or will it
destroy all my data, programs, preferences, etc etc?  What about if RH
install wants to re-partition the newer bigger HD - what do I tell it to
do?  I suspect that somewhere deep in the bowels of the machine there
lurks a problem to do with the ports - I use a non-standard FTP port by
the way (port 12345) and I have the range of passive ports set in ProFTP
to 30000-30050, as my hardware firewall won't let me use active FTP.
This is the system that worked fine before.

All help much apopreciated - thanks :))
--

NightStalker

2. Oops in __change_page_attr Re: (was 2.5.73-mm2)

3. Linux Installation Help!! Please Help :)

4. Apache , SSL, Vignette Story Server

5. Need networking help. Please help me :)

6. OK, What's wrong with This

7. Firewall help please. Pretty please.

8. Xconfig with trident 8900d

9. help help help help! please!

10. HELP HELP HELP PLEASE HELP

11. Help With Install Please HELP HELP HELP

12. HELP HELP HELP HELP HELP HELP

13. help help help help help help