ide hd >1024 cyls

Post by carlo mar » Sat, 12 Sep 1998 04:00:00

I've done a bad thing:

Caldera's fdisk program (and the installation script) have reported that my
2100 cylinder hd had only 525 cyls.  Apparently it's supposed to do this.
I wonder if anyone knows the settings to return it to to make it work?
525 cyls? 64 hds?

Now I know that was a good thing.

Well, I went into fdisk's /x mode and re-wrote the cyl and head info (not
remembering the original reading) to match the actual hd.

It won't boot.

I'm afraid I've ruined my hard drive or something.

Perhaps I should just put the bootable partition below the 1024 belt?

Is the / (root) partition the bootable partition?

In typically ambiguous form, the documentaiont at
http://www.caldera.com/doc/base/addendum/english/install.html
almost has useful information on installing Caldera to multiple partitions.

1. Installing lilo on a >1024 cyl SCSI HD?

I have a 2.14 Gb HD connected to an adaptec 2940 scsi controller.
My partitions are:

sda3 OS/2 BM
sda2 DOS (boot)
sda5 DOS (data)
sda6 OS/2 (boot, hpfs)
sda7 OS/2 (data, hpfs)
sda8 Linux (ext2fs)
sda9 Linux swap

Problem: I can't install LILO anywhere (not even on a floppy).

I tried follow the instructions on how to move the /boot directory to
a dos partition. Everything worked up to the point when I run lilo.
It says:
Adding Linux
Can't find beginning of sda (or similar), it then stops.

Does the procedure only work for IDE drives?
Did I do something wrong? I followed the instructions in /usr/src/linux/drivers/README.ide

One more. How do I add myself to the kernel mailing list? (I heard there was one)
Please email your reply.

Thanks!!!
Anders

2. Errors Rotating Logs.. Please Help!

3. Help with HD >1024 Cyls

4. linuxconf over http

5. Linux install problems > 1024 cyl hd...

6. help me

7. HD w/ > 1024 Cyl.

8. Samba doesn't answer

9. hd params, >1024 cyl, boot disk problem

10. HD > 1024 cyls. Any HOWTOs???

11. Q: adding ESDI hd > 1024 cyl to Linux

12. hd params, >1024 cyl, boot problems

13. IDE with >1024 cyl and Dynamic Drive Config?