scanner hp 5100C

Post by MARTIN » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

hello, maybe someone could help me for using my hp scanner 5100 c
(scanjet)
            i am running mandrake 7.02
            there are a few different patches to download and
                    which one have I to apply ?
                    i download ppSCSI-0.91.patch and
patch-2.2.13-ppSCSI-19990712

AFTER THAT i have to do a "make xconfig"
                    what exactly options i have to choose ( i already
applied ppSCSI-0.91.patch one and i couldn't
make an "insmod epst"

sorry for this kind of trivial question but i m a newbye
i didn't collect a precise answer on sane page neither on "parport" one.

scanner hp 5100C

Post by m.. » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

> hello, maybe someone could help me for using my hp scanner 5100 c
> (scanjet)
> i download ppSCSI-0.91.patch and
> patch-2.2.13-ppSCSI-19990712

You should use the second one, because that one is for a 2.2.13 kernel
or newer.
You can copy it to the source directory, On SuSe that would be
/usr/src/linux.
Then you can patch it with the command:
patch -p1 < patch-2.2.13-ppSCSI-19990712
Then it will be placed in the directory /~/drivers, and also over the
previous patch.
After compiling it will be in /~/modules, and after installing in
/lib/modules/~/

Quote:> AFTER THAT i have to do a "make xconfig"
> what exactly options i have to choose

I have a 2.2.13 kernel.
Under the menu scsi support, submenu lowlevel drivers are the options
for Parallel port scsi adapters
If it isn't, try instead make menuconfig, or make config.
Then it should show up.
You can choose to build them as modules.

Quote:> i couldn't make an "insmod epst"

Normally that would mean that or the module doesn't exist, and then it
wasn't build.
Or the modules it depends on are not loaded yet. It will then complain
about unresolved symbols in scsi_mod, or sg, or ppscsi.
When you load it with the command modprobe epst, it will also load these
modules on which it depends.
But this time, you built modules for a 2.2.9 or 2.2.12 kernel, so that
could have been the problem.

Quote:> sorry for this kind of trivial question but i m a newbye
> i didn't collect a precise answer on sane page neither on "parport" one.

That's ok, I struggled with it myself.
My Microtek works fine now with Sane.

*************************           __   _
/      Marcel Pol       /          / /  (_)__  __ ____  __
/                       /         / /__/ / _ \/ // /\ \/ /

*************************
SuSE 6.3  Kernel 2.2.13
Don't visit http://www.angelfire.com/scifi/marcelpol

This sig is stolen.
But it was released under GNU, wasn't it?

scanner hp 5100C

Post by MARTIN » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

> > hello, maybe someone could help me for using my hp scanner 5100 c
> > (scanjet)
> > i download ppSCSI-0.91.patch and
> > patch-2.2.13-ppSCSI-19990712

> You should use the second one, because that one is for a 2.2.13 kernel
> or newer.
> You can copy it to the source directory, On SuSe that would be
> /usr/src/linux.
> Then you can patch it with the command:
> patch -p1 < patch-2.2.13-ppSCSI-19990712
> Then it will be placed in the directory /~/drivers, and also over the
> previous patch.
> After compiling it will be in /~/modules, and after installing in
> /lib/modules/~/

> > AFTER THAT i have to do a "make xconfig"
> > what exactly options i have to choose

> I have a 2.2.13 kernel.
> Under the menu scsi support, submenu lowlevel drivers are the options
> for Parallel port scsi adapters
> If it isn't, try instead make menuconfig, or make config.
> Then it should show up.
> You can choose to build them as modules.

> > i couldn't make an "insmod epst"

> Normally that would mean that or the module doesn't exist, and then it
> wasn't build.
> Or the modules it depends on are not loaded yet. It will then complain
> about unresolved symbols in scsi_mod, or sg, or ppscsi.
> When you load it with the command modprobe epst, it will also load these
> modules on which it depends.
> But this time, you built modules for a 2.2.9 or 2.2.12 kernel, so that
> could have been the problem.

> > sorry for this kind of trivial question but i m a newbye
> > i didn't collect a precise answer on sane page neither on "parport" one.

> That's ok, I struggled with it myself.
> My Microtek works fine now with Sane.

> *************************           __   _
> /      Marcel Pol       /          / /  (_)__  __ ____  __
> /                       /         / /__/ / _ \/ // /\ \/ /

> *************************
> SuSE 6.3  Kernel 2.2.13
> Don't visit http://www.angelfire.com/scifi/marcelpol

> This sig is stolen.
> But it was released under GNU, wasn't it?

thank you very much for your answer which is more precise than the question
i asked. i'll tell you the reuslts if you don't mind

scanner hp 5100C

Post by Martin » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

> > hello, maybe someone could help me for using my hp scanner 5100 c
> > (scanjet)
> > i download ppSCSI-0.91.patch and
> > patch-2.2.13-ppSCSI-19990712

> You should use the second one, because that one is for a 2.2.13 kernel
> or newer.
> You can copy it to the source directory, On SuSe that would be
> /usr/src/linux.
> Then you can patch it with the command:
> patch -p1 < patch-2.2.13-ppSCSI-19990712
> Then it will be placed in the directory /~/drivers, and also over the
> previous patch.
> After compiling it will be in /~/modules, and after installing in
> /lib/modules/~/

> > AFTER THAT i have to do a "make xconfig"
> > what exactly options i have to choose

> I have a 2.2.13 kernel.
> Under the menu scsi support, submenu lowlevel drivers are the options
> for Parallel port scsi adapters
> If it isn't, try instead make menuconfig, or make config.
> Then it should show up.
> You can choose to build them as modules.

> > i couldn't make an "insmod epst"

> Normally that would mean that or the module doesn't exist, and then it
> wasn't build.
> Or the modules it depends on are not loaded yet. It will then complain
> about unresolved symbols in scsi_mod, or sg, or ppscsi.
> When you load it with the command modprobe epst, it will also load these
> modules on which it depends.
> But this time, you built modules for a 2.2.9 or 2.2.12 kernel, so that
> could have been the problem.

> > sorry for this kind of trivial question but i m a newbye
> > i didn't collect a precise answer on sane page neither on "parport" one.

> That's ok, I struggled with it myself.
> My Microtek works fine now with Sane.

> *************************           __   _
> /      Marcel Pol       /          / /  (_)__  __ ____  __
> /                       /         / /__/ / _ \/ // /\ \/ /

> *************************
> SuSE 6.3  Kernel 2.2.13
> Don't visit http://www.angelfire.com/scifi/marcelpol

> This sig is stolen.
> But it was released under GNU, wasn't it?

well i made all i need to have functionalities
by the way you may help me about the following trouble

on the first compiling and installing kernel
i got the message "nothing to be done for modules" when i
        # make modules (after dep clean bzImage)
so no error is reported at the end but modules cannot be compiled
properly.
after i # make modules_install
and i have several entries  scsi (2 times)
                                                net4 (2 times)

so i cannot find needed modules with
                insmod command or modprobe command
i have a 2.2.14 kernel (mandrake)