Do I need to replace My PNP modem to install Caldera 1.3 correctly

Do I need to replace My PNP modem to install Caldera 1.3 correctly

Post by M Jacobso » Wed, 17 Feb 1999 04:00:00

I want to set up my system as a dual boot between linux and win98.  My
system comes with a PNP k56 modem.  What are my options with regard to
having a modem that will work with either system, and how would I set it up
with without undue hassles?

Mark Jacobson

Post by Rob Cla » Thu, 18 Feb 1999 04:00:00

>I want to set up my system as a dual boot between linux and win98.  My
>system comes with a PNP k56 modem.  What are my options with regard to
>having a modem that will work with either system, and how would I set it up
>with without undue hassles?

If your modem is otherwise normal (i.e., not a winmodem), you can use
isapnptools to configure the modem in Linux.

The Modem HOWTO will tell you how this all works:
   http://metalab.unc.edu/LDP/HOWTO/Modem-HOWTO.html

http://www.o2.net/~gromitkc/winmodem.html

1. Caldera 1.3 vs Caldera 2.3

It's a amjor upgrade. The biggest thing is that COL 1.3 is built on the 2.0.35
kernel and COL 2.3 is based on the 2.2.10 kernel. The 2.2.x kernel supports a
wider range of hardware, including PCI sound cards, USB and quite a bit more.
There are a whole lot of other improvements at various levels... too many to
list. COL 2.3 also has a much simpler, graphical installation routine -- a plus
for a first-time installation, and if you buy the commercial package, it comes
with a lot more additional software.

Now, there are people out there who'll use COL 1.3 and just upgrade the kernel,
but you don't want to do this if you have no experience with Linux. Go with COL
2.3. You'll be happier, and you'll be more likely to become a concert from that
other OS.

MF

2. Is there an NTFS driver for Linux? If so, here are some questions.

3. Caldera Open Linux 1.3 Install Crash

4. FreeBSD 2.2.1,Win95 and Win NT

5. Trouble installing Caldera 1.3 open linux

6. Compiling a new kernel

7. Red Hat Linux 5.1 - Caldera OpenLinux 1.3 installation: need assistance (London)

8. aha2940

9. Help w/ install of Caldera 1.3

10. How do I Upgrade/Install the new libc.so.6 ......Caldera 1.3

11. Installing Caldera OpenLinux 1.3

12. need help installing an ISA PnP Modem

13. problem with pnp modem (caldera)