Serial mouse problem

Post by Arnaud Spich » Fri, 09 Jul 1999 04:00:00

Hi,

I have a problem to make my Linux working with a serial mouse.
I tried with different kernels (2.2.5, 2.2.10, 2.3.9), and still the
same problem.
The device (/dev/ttyS0) is the good one: I have plugged a modem to test
it.
But, when I plug the serial mouse, I can't get any result with gpm or
X11.
With `setup` on RedHat, I select /dev/ttyS0 and "generic serial mouse".
There is a symlink for /dev/mouse to /dev/ttyS0
`mouse-test` can't detect it.
I tried with 3 different mice, same result.
Is there any configuration setting to make it working, maybe with
setserial?

Thanks and best regards,
Arnaud

Serial mouse problem

Post by Steven How » Sat, 10 Jul 1999 04:00:00

Hi Arnaud,
I see to possibilities. These are:

1) During boot up (or later using 'dmesg') what does the kernel learn
about your serial ports.  The serial port section in dmesg is almost the
first
section to be reported on.  Does the kernel detect a serial port or two.
I'm guessing not.
If not, check you bios settings to see if your serial ports are on.  Most
motherboards allow you to disable at the hardware level the serial ports,
to free up IRQs and IOports.  You might have turned the serial ports off.

2) Your comment about modem test is not clear (for me at least). But
assuming you have plugged a modem into com1, and used minicom to dial out,

then should you be using ttyS0, or cua0?  I vagely remember something
about
one being for modems, the other for mice. Their major numbers are
different.
Perhaps this confuses the mice programs.
ls -l /dev/cua0 /dev/ttyS0
crw-------   1 root     root       5,  64 May  5  1998 /dev/cua0
crw-------   1 root     tty        4,  64 May  5  1998 /dev/ttyS0

Steven Howe

> Hi,

> I have a problem to make my Linux working with a serial mouse.
> I tried with different kernels (2.2.5, 2.2.10, 2.3.9), and still the
> same problem.
> The device (/dev/ttyS0) is the good one: I have plugged a modem to test
> it.
> But, when I plug the serial mouse, I can't get any result with gpm or
> X11.
> With `setup` on RedHat, I select /dev/ttyS0 and "generic serial mouse".
> There is a symlink for /dev/mouse to /dev/ttyS0
> `mouse-test` can't detect it.
> I tried with 3 different mice, same result.
> Is there any configuration setting to make it working, maybe with
> setserial?

> Thanks and best regards,
> Arnaud

Serial mouse problem

Post by Arnaud Spich » Sat, 10 Jul 1999 04:00:00

Hi Steven,

The kernel does detect the serial port.
dmesg gives:
ttyS0 at 0x03f8 (irq = 4) is a 16550A
ttyS1 at 0x02f8 (irq = 3) is a 16550A

When I plug a modem in ttyS0, and do `cat > /dev/ttyS0`
I can see that the modem is receiving something.

Concerning /dev/cuaX, the new kernels (>= 2.2) do not use it anymore.
Everything is done through /dev/ttySX

Best regards,
Arnaud

> Hi Arnaud,
> I see to possibilities. These are:

> 1) During boot up (or later using 'dmesg') what does the kernel learn
> about your serial ports.  The serial port section in dmesg is almost the
> first
> section to be reported on.  Does the kernel detect a serial port or two.
> I'm guessing not.
> If not, check you bios settings to see if your serial ports are on.  Most
> motherboards allow you to disable at the hardware level the serial ports,
> to free up IRQs and IOports.  You might have turned the serial ports off.

> 2) Your comment about modem test is not clear (for me at least). But
> assuming you have plugged a modem into com1, and used minicom to dial out,

> then should you be using ttyS0, or cua0?  I vagely remember something
> about
> one being for modems, the other for mice. Their major numbers are
> different.
> Perhaps this confuses the mice programs.
> ls -l /dev/cua0 /dev/ttyS0
> crw-------   1 root     root       5,  64 May  5  1998 /dev/cua0
> crw-------   1 root     tty        4,  64 May  5  1998 /dev/ttyS0

> Steven Howe

> > Hi,

> > I have a problem to make my Linux working with a serial mouse.
> > I tried with different kernels (2.2.5, 2.2.10, 2.3.9), and still the
> > same problem.
> > The device (/dev/ttyS0) is the good one: I have plugged a modem to test
> > it.
> > But, when I plug the serial mouse, I can't get any result with gpm or
> > X11.
> > With `setup` on RedHat, I select /dev/ttyS0 and "generic serial mouse".
> > There is a symlink for /dev/mouse to /dev/ttyS0
> > `mouse-test` can't detect it.
> > I tried with 3 different mice, same result.
> > Is there any configuration setting to make it working, maybe with
> > setserial?

> > Thanks and best regards,
> > Arnaud

1. serial mouse problems

I have just installed 4.4-Release and am a trying to get a serial
mouse working.  It is actulally a ps2 mouse with a ps2-serial adapter.
From /stand/sysinstall I have tried every iteration that seems likely
with respect to mouse type.  I only have one serial port on this
computer and so I have chosen cuaa0 as the port.  When I start the
mouse daemon I don't get a pointer.(I have configured this on other
FreeBSD releases, so I know what to expect)  If I hold down the enter
key for a couple of seconds, the while the Enable is highlighted, it
will flicker on and off and then I will see a pointer, but it doesn't
move when I move the mouse.  Why doesn't the pointer show up as
normal?  Is it my serial port?  Can I test it somehow?

In case it is relevant, this is a ftp install.  I am running a Cyrix

Thanks!

2. routing - problem

3. Xfree86 4.0 & Logitech FirstMouse+ serial mouse problem

4. FS: Six Rack AS/400

5. Serial mouse problems in XFree86 3.1.1

6. real-time serial port driver available?

7. Help: Serial mouse problem

8. Libraries missing while trying to compile emacs 19.19

9. Serial Mouse Problem

10. Serial Mouse Problems

11. Serial mouse problem

12. MicroSoft serial mouse problems