"Cannot open an initital console"

Post by Gareth Chichest » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Can someone here please help, as it's driving me round the twist.

My second hard disk (I have 3) finally gave up the ghost last night,
after weeks of struggling it's finally gone to silicon heaven.  Not a
major problem as I'd copied most of the data off it.

But for some reason, when ever I try to boot I get this message:-
VFS: Mounted root (msdos file system) readonly.
Cannot open an initital console

I tried booting off a floppy, and it now says it's an ext2 fs, but
still can't find the console.

It's booting off hda - but I've just realised its hda5, an extended
partition.  It's always worked fine before, why just because it cannot
access hdb can it not boot?

TIA,
Gareth.

"Cannot open an initital console"

Post by Mark Po » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

-snip-

Quote:>My second hard disk (I have 3) finally gave up the ghost last night,
>after weeks of struggling it's finally gone to silicon heaven.  Not a
>major problem as I'd copied most of the data off it.
>But for some reason, when ever I try to boot I get this message:-
>VFS: Mounted root (msdos file system) readonly.
>Cannot open an initital console
-snip
>It's booting off hda - but I've just realised its hda5, an extended
>partition.  It's always worked fine before, why just because it cannot
>access hdb can it not boot?

Gareth,

Where do you have your /dev directory?  Was it on /dev/hdb?  The only time I
ever saw the message you quote was when (for whatever reason) I didn't have
a console defined in my /dev directory.  What you might try is booting off
an install CD or boot/root floppy combination and poke around your /dev
directory.

Mark Post

To send me email, replace 'nospam' with 'home'.