Help with serial set-up of SpeedRunner ADSL modem!

Help with serial set-up of SpeedRunner ADSL modem!

Post by Andrei Lenkei - TT » Fri, 16 Oct 1998 04:00:00

Hi!

I'm trying to get my RADSL (USWest) up and running.

The SpeedRunner ADSL modem (a cisco really) comes with a
9 pin serial cable so that you can configure it through
the serial port of your computer.

My problem is that although I've managed to communicate
(and setup bridging mode) with the Modem from my laptop
under NT using HyperTerm I CAN'T SEEM TO COMMUNICATE with
the modem from Linux.

I think I've done everything I needed.
I set the speed of the port with setserial (38400).

In kermit (and minicom) I chose the line(port), set the speed,
turned flow control off and set the line to 8N1.
When I try to connect nothing happens on the screen. I'm supposed
to press return to get the prompt but nothing happens.

What am I missing?
I HyperTerm so much different from kermit/minicom?

As I wrote I managed to configure it from NT with HyperTerm but
I HATE THE THOUGHT OF BEING ABLE TO DO IT FROM NT AND NOT LINUX!
(Childlish, I know, but that's me:)

Please answer by mail if possible.

Many thanks in advance,
Andrei

Help with serial set-up of SpeedRunner ADSL modem!

Post by Greg Wee » Fri, 16 Oct 1998 04:00:00

Quote:> The SpeedRunner ADSL modem (a cisco really) comes with a
> 9 pin serial cable so that you can configure it through
> the serial port of your computer.

> My problem is that although I've managed to communicate
> (and setup bridging mode) with the Modem from my laptop
> under NT using HyperTerm I CAN'T SEEM TO COMMUNICATE with
> the modem from Linux.

> I think I've done everything I needed.
> I set the speed of the port with setserial (38400).

> In kermit (and minicom) I chose the line(port), set the speed,
> turned flow control off and set the line to 8N1.
> When I try to connect nothing happens on the screen. I'm supposed
> to press return to get the prompt but nothing happens.

I've had problems trying to get it configured under linux/kermit
also. I usually end up reseting the modem to get it to talk. If you
figure it out be sure to post the answer.

Greg Weeks
--
http://weeks.home.ml.org/

Help with serial set-up of SpeedRunner ADSL modem!

Post by Scot E. Wilcoxo » Sat, 17 Oct 1998 04:00:00

Quote:> In kermit (and minicom) I chose the line(port), set the speed,
> turned flow control off and set the line to 8N1.

I used Seyon with no problem.  Turned off flow control and set
the speed before connecting.

Maybe you have a getty/mgetty on that serial port?  You could
either have a port locking problem or getty might have already
been chatting with the modem and changed the baud rate at which
the modem is communicating.

1. need help - setting up serial terminal and modem on IPX running Red Hat Linux

Hi I finally got all the necessary hardware to attach AT&T 14.4 external
modem (ttyb) and a terminal (ttya) to my IPX. I set the terminal speed to
9600 and the modem to 14.4k. When I boot up IPX headless the terminal will
display the startup messages but when linux startup gets to a certain part
(right after it displays free kernel memory) it hangs and I tried
ctrl-break on terminal but cant get to EPROM. I think perhaps the kernel
is checking for the frame buffer and since my monitor is unplugged its
hanging. I heard there is way I can run just my terminal as console or run
with monitor and have terminal as well. What files do I have to alter and
what do I need to input to tell Red Hat Linux to see my terminal on ttya
and my modem on ttyb. And any help on how to get PPP working would be
good. I am running without X.

"Blessed are those who have not seen and yet have faith." - John 20:29

2. KDE drag and drop problem

3. ADSL Router or ADSL Modem /Linux firewall

4. Unix Viurus?

5. Shape Ups,Men's Shape Ups,Men's Skechers Shape Ups - new styles!

6. where to buy BusLogic BT-958 or KT-958

7. Assistance required setting up ADSL USB Modem

8. servlets running on linux

9. How do I setting my Win 3.1 client with Linux mail server via ADSL Modem?

10. How to set up usb adsl modem in Linux?

11. ADSL Modem - ITeX Chips Set - Linux Driver?

12. Need help with serial set-up

13. Help: Set-up serial device.