scsi install problem - help please!

Post by Stev » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Hi all....
Here's my rather odd problem. Wanting a dual boot, I added a second
SCSI HD & installed linux. My mistake was in not stipulating where
LILO should go, so it put it on the new disk, and here's what I have:
Two independent bootups for linux & win 98 - If I set the SCSI bios on
"plug & play" the win98 disk is "found" and the system boots into W98.
When SCSI P&P is off the original disk isn't found during bootup, so
the second HD boots linux.
I really wouldn't mind except I'd like to be able to "see" the w98
partition from linux. So....
How can I get the system to recognize both disks all the time?
Why is the original disk "invisible" unless I turn on SCSI plug &
play? I have a feeling this is either a termination problem, or the
disks aren't in the right order.....does it matter which drive has a
lower number in the SCSI chain?
Obviously I need to reinstall LILO onto the first HD, but I want to
make sure the system can find that HD all the time (in other words,
SCSI plug & play should'nt have to be on) before I move it - I've
tried boot disks for linux with no success.
Or perhaps the problem will cure itself when there's only one boot
sector active?
Thank you kindly for any advice, references to FAQS, etc. Cheers!

1. PLEASE PLEASE HELP Major problem with my SCSI & Redhat 5.0 PLEASE Help

Everything ran WONDERFUL for about 4 months this machine ran several
servers it is a UDB w/ 340mb SCSI (SLOW 5mb) half inch internal hard
drive.  32 megs of true parity ram, Red hat 5.0 I get the following
error

NCR53-810-0: ERROR (0:48) (0-20-0) (8/33) * scripth (868:18000400).
NCR53-810-0: Script cmd = 888030000
NCR53-810-0: regdump : da 10 80 33 47 08 00 1f 01 08 00 28 80 00 08 00
NCR53-810-0: have to clear fifos

What the HELL is this and is there anyway to fix it ?  It seems to
occur when doing file writing, when i try to tar something for example
it will go into a continual unending loop displaying the above error
message.  I have refdisked, formated, and clean installed redhat and
the problem is still there :( Please help, if at all possible mail

2. Adding two more 4G disks to a SparcStation LX

3. redhat 5.1 install never exits & scsi timeouts scsi scan - help please

4. HELP with xmail

6. Connecting to Apple Talk Shares

7. SCSI Help please I have read the SCSI How To(Still need help)

8. Intranet BBS

9. LINUX instalation problems, PLEASE HELP !?!Subject: LINUX , instalation problems, PLEASE HELP !?!

10. 1 scsi device in chain not detected, cannot install linux, some help please.

11. RedHat 4.2 Install - SCSI disks - Please help

12. I need install LINUX on SCSI Western Digital WD7197 - Please Help Me!