No Graphic Descktop with Corel Linux!!

Post by Fernando Romer » Wed, 08 Mar 2000 04:00:00

I recently installed corel Linux , everything appear to go well. But after
rebooting my PC I found the text mode prompt. No X-Windows, I try typing
"startx"but the file isn't there, what could be the problem??

Thanx,
Fernando Romero

Post by Brian Wildasin » Sun, 26 Mar 2000 04:00:00

> I recently installed corel Linux , everything appear to go well. But after
> rebooting my PC I found the text mode prompt. No X-Windows, I try typing
> "startx"but the file isn't there, what could be the problem??

> Thanx,
> Fernando Romero

Type, which startx, to find the startx command. You might need to Su to root,
"su <enter>, your password <enter>", and try again. Sometimes user accounts
don't have a path in their shell account (if you aren't in /root you are
using a /home user account, which is generally a good thing anyway). Type
"env" to see if /usr/X11R6/bin is in your path. If not, add it to .bashrc, or
whatever shell your account uses. The env command will show what shell you
use.

[ Corel's Linux is based on Debian GNU/Linux so you might be able to use the
debian tools to set up your computer: If startx isn't on your computer,
XWindow may not be either, if the /usr/X11R6 subdirectors don't exist
(/usr/X11R6/bin, /usr/X11R6/lib, /usr/X11R6/foo), or are empty. Try this: Pop
in your CD and type "dselect", of course without the quotes. If you're not
sure how to use dselect, but your modem works (if not set ppp up
using:/usr/sbin/pppconfig), type "pon && apt-get install twm" or your
favorite window manager. apt-get will do everything for you (making sure all
dependencies are installed) including pulling the window manager off the
Internet and configuring all the software packages for your use assuming you
have sufficient disk space. Don't know how to use apt-get? Type, man apt-get,
assuming man and apt-get are installed already. If all else fails, use
dselect, which is a scrollable menu program of debian "deb" software
packages.

If X is being installed for the first time you will need to configure X using
XF86Setup which uses a graphic menu to help you. You will need to have the
pamphlets or information on the make/model of your Monitor, Mouse, Keyboard,
and Graphics (monitor) card if you have one since you will be asked about
refresh rates, etc. ]

On the other hand assuming X is installed, you must make sure you have a
window manager defined in /etc/X11/window-managers. First see what wm are on
your system, which are usually put into /usr/X11R6/bin. They will have names
such as twm, fvwm2, fvwm95, icewm, wmaker, etc... Another place to check is
in /usr/local/bin, but this isn't the usual place since Corel (Debian) uses
dpkg, apt, and dselect to manage packages automatically to configure your
system, check for dependancies, and update the /usr/lib/menu menus of all
packages available.

If none of these are specified in /etc/X11/window-managers, you will need to
install a window manager using a method described above, if debian tools are
present.

1. Kill COREL; Kill COREL; Kill COREL; ...

Okay, maybe I'm out of the loop, but I did not realized until today that
Corel had totally killed development of Corel products for Linux.  And then
I see a photo of Bill Gates shaking the hand of Corel's CEO/President. Umm,
what a surprise! And I'm supposed to assumed that there is no relationship
between this and the $$ that Micro$oft gave to Corel a few months ago.

As far as I'm concerned, Corel died.

I actually bought the last few versions of the WP Suite for Linux and
Windows. But that's it! No more! Either companies stick with Linux or they
can go to hell. Thus, I definitely sponsor people to do the same.

DON'T BUY COREL STUFF EVER AGAIN!!!

If I ever hear anyone at work proposing to buy anything from Corel, I will
seriously push for anything other than that.

I hope that within the next five years this company goes out of business.
Actually, lets make it happen!

DON'T BUY COREL STUFF EVER AGAIN!!!

2. X Windows display strangeness

3. Linux Graphics App as good a Corel?

4. SPARCStation vrs. x86

5. No Graphic Desktop with Corel Linux

6. XFree864.0 tried and didnt work

7. Not Available these Signal nos on Linux

8. DNS name servers

9. Corel WP8/XF86 3.3.2/24 bit display: garbled graphics?

10. faster NOS: NetWare or Linux?

11. NOS/NET/Wampes for linux

12. linux NOS

13. Does Linux IPIP tunnelling work with Cisco NOS tunnels?