How do I setup a FreeType Font Server for KDE ?????

Post by John Dobeso » Wed, 09 Sep 1998 04:00:00

> Please send info on how to obtain, install, configure and run a font server
> that
> supports TrueType fonts on KDE 1.0.

There's some links to TT info off Gary's Encyclopedia at
http://www.aa.net/~swear/pedia/fonts.html

Post by Nonam » Thu, 10 Sep 1998 04:00:00

Please send info on how to obtain, install, configure and run a font server
that
supports TrueType fonts on KDE 1.0.

Please inform of pre-compiled code if possible (since my compiling skills
are next to nill !)

TIA.

Post by Daniel Robert Frankl » Thu, 10 Sep 1998 04:00:00

>Please send info on how to obtain, install, configure and run a font server
>that
>supports TrueType fonts on KDE 1.0.
>Please inform of pre-compiled code if possible (since my compiling skills
>are next to nill !)
>TIA.

If you are using Debian or RedHat, get the .debs or .rpms for xfsft and
the FreeType library, then install them (man dpkg or man rpm for details).
Then get some TrueType fonts, put them in the appropriate location (I
think it is in /usr/share/fonts/TrueType or some such thing, check with
the docs for xfsft (i.e. type man xfsft) and run xfsft --sync to create
the font index. The manual page also should explain how to let X find the
fonts (you need to add an entry to the fontpath, so you will have to edit
your XF86Config file. Again, read the docs). Sorry if that's not terribly
clear, but it is a while since I set mine up. Now it is running, Netscape
et al look much nicer ;)

- Daniel
*       Daniel Franklin - 4th Year Electrical Engineering Student