Is GDM an XDM server?

Post by Ralph Mac » Fri, 25 May 2001 10:08:16

Hello, all,

Now that my Linux server is up and running, I've started trying
to get fancy - silly me - and talk to it from my other systems
in various and sundry ways.

Since I bought my Linux server really cheap, I'm going for a really
cheap X Server (MicroImages), which appears to support XDM protocol.
I've edited my /etc/X11/xdm/Xaccess but to no avail. Just to cover
my bases - Does GDM use the XDM protocol? (I hope the answer is yes.)

As I was referring to my system files when writing this message, I
noticed that the /etc/X11/gdm/gdm.conf file has an [xdmcp] section
with the item "enable=0". Am I getting warm?

Ralph

Is GDM an XDM server?

Post by Guillaume RAMELE » Fri, 25 May 2001 16:40:15

yes but i think that XDMCP has been broken in gnome 1.4

http://mail.gnome.org/archives/gnome-devel-list/2001-January/msg00116...

Hello, all,

Now that my Linux server is up and running, I've started trying
to get fancy - silly me - and talk to it from my other systems
in various and sundry ways.

Since I bought my Linux server really cheap, I'm going for a really
cheap X Server (MicroImages), which appears to support XDM protocol.
I've edited my /etc/X11/xdm/Xaccess but to no avail. Just to cover
my bases - Does GDM use the XDM protocol? (I hope the answer is yes.)

As I was referring to my system files when writing this message, I
noticed that the /etc/X11/gdm/gdm.conf file has an [xdmcp] section
with the item "enable=0". Am I getting warm?

Ralph

Is GDM an XDM server?

Post by Ralph Mac » Sun, 27 May 2001 12:58:56

Turning xdmcp enabled=1 was the bit I was missing to getting
remote X server stuff working with Red Hat 6.2. I got it working
a night or two ago and have been loving it.

Thanks for the heads-up, Guillaume - I did a little research in
more recent months files and it sounds like maybe the problem has
been fixed? George doesn't seem to be sweating it any more with
GDM 2.2.1 and GDM 2.2.2.

http://mail.gnome.org/archives/gnome-list/2001-May/msg00100.html

Are you currently facing this problem with Red Hat 7.1? Which GDM
version does it ship with? (I can also check Red Hat for patches.)

Is anybody successfully using an X server via XDMCP to remotely log
into a system using Red Hat 7.1 distro?  In order to use my USB CD-RW
I had planned to upgrade this weekend, but I'll put it off if I can't
use the X server on my other box to talk to the Linux box when I'm
done.

Ralph

Quote:>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Original Message <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

regarding Re: Is GDM an XDM server?:

Quote:> yes but i think that XDMCP has been broken in gnome 1.4

http://mail.gnome.org/archives/gnome-devel-list/2001-January/msg00116...

1. X server/gdm/xdm security issues

Hi,

Does anyone know if gdm uses or shares any of the xdm config files and
resources?
How does xauth affect the xhost access and autentication schemes
etc...

More generally, can someone point me to a source of documentation
describing the detailed startup XFree startup sequences.

Thanks

JT

2. Installing more components?

3. S3 & SVGA server crash on exit to xdm/gdm

4. Disk & network speeds

5. Forcing xdm/dtlogin/gdm to use network socket...

6. Good cheap NIC for FreeBSD

7. xdm and gdm to load on boot

8. Backing up Oracle with OmniBack II

9. kdm, gdm, xdm and xdmcp