Failing boot disks--Debiam, RedHat & SUsE all refuse

Failing boot disks--Debiam, RedHat & SUsE all refuse

Post by MT Bye » Wed, 24 Mar 1999 04:00:00

I have been trying to get Linux installed on an older 486.  Almost all
boot disks I have tried -- Debian, RedHat and SUsE -- (all except
Caldera, in fact) begin the boot/install process but quit after a few
"clicks."

Seems like the first company that puts out a modern (glibc) version of
Linux that will actually install on older machines will have an
advantage.  They all say they'll work on that equipment, but it isn't
really so as far as I can tell.

Is anyone working on this problem?  I have tried everything I can
think of with no success.

M.

:
: Seems like the first company that puts out a modern (glibc) version of
: Linux that will actually install on older machines will have an
: advantage.  They all say they'll work on that equipment, but it isn't
: really so as far as I can tell.
:
: Is anyone working on this problem?  I have tried everything I can
: think of with no success.

Try posting some details of what doesn't work.  'quit after a few "clicks"' is
not a very useful problem description.

Or are you just complaining?

        Stu

Post by Paul Hughe » Wed, 24 Mar 1999 04:00:00

: I have been trying to get Linux installed on an older 486.  Almost all
: boot disks I have tried -- Debian, RedHat and SUsE -- (all except
: Caldera, in fact) begin the boot/install process but quit after a few
: "clicks."

: Seems like the first company that puts out a modern (glibc) version of
: Linux that will actually install on older machines will have an
: advantage.  They all say they'll work on that equipment, but it isn't
: really so as far as I can tell.

: Is anyone working on this problem?  I have tried everything I can
: think of with no success.

This sounds to me more likely to be a hardware problem than a software
problem.  Can you boot from an MS-DOS floppy?  Have you tried replacing
the floppy drive and/or making sure all the cables are securely connected?
And a long shot--are you sure that your floppy drive supports high-density
disks?  I've installed Linux on 3 or 4 older machines (386 and 486) and
never seen the sort of problem you're describing, although this was back
in the days of RedHat 2.1 and 4.1.

Paul Hughett

1. Suse Boot disk failed on Notebook

I everyone

I have a problem with my Toshiba Notebook T 1950 CT (486DX2, 8MB) to
install
Suse Linux 7.0 from disk.
The floppy can't boot from disk (boot failed) but with DOS-Disk or
Windows-Start disk
booted correctly.
The boot disk created with dd or rawwrite .
When I put the Linux Boot disk in my other machine then boot
correctly.

can you help, please ?

cu joerg

2. Any exact $$$ figures on the cost of Linux if it weren't free?

3. Newbie & LILO SuSE 7.0 - Linux fails to boot after install

4. Problem to unlink a bad block

5. Redhat fails to make boot disk

6. Slackware 3.0 and Adaptec AHA-1542CF ISA

7. RedHat 5.1 Boot Disk fails

8. DR3 egcs src rpm

9. "Boot failed: change disk & press any key"

10. Suse Linux: DISK BOOT FAILURE, INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND HIT ENTER

11. Answer: Suse Linux: DISK BOOT FAILURE, INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND HIT ENTER

12. Suse Linux: DISK BOOT FAILURE, INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND HIT ENTER