gdm.pid file problem

Post by Jame » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

     I have just installed Definite Linux on my computer and have been
having some problems configuring x and now when I boot linux I get to the
console login, not the graphical one. Also I get an error message saying:
     "gdm.pid file suggests that gdm is still running or was *ed
unexpectedly."
   Or some ting like that. I looked in gdm.pid and all it said was "482" on
the top line.
     Does anyone have anny suggestions on how to fix this.

I have a voodoo2 on an sis5597 motherboard chipset.

Regards.
        JL.

gdm.pid file problem

Post by Basti » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

>     I have just installed Definite Linux on my computer and have been
>having some problems configuring x and now when I boot linux I get to the
>console login, not the graphical one. Also I get an error message saying:
>     "gdm.pid file suggests that gdm is still running or was *ed
>unexpectedly."
>   Or some ting like that. I looked in gdm.pid and all it said was "482" on
>the top line.
>     Does anyone have anny suggestions on how to fix this.

>I have a voodoo2 on an sis5597 motherboard chipset.

>Regards.
>        JL.

The pid-file is created by a process in order to know its own PID and/or
whether it is running (so no second process can be started). You can
safely delete it.

Bastian

1. gdm.pid

I have a really bad problem.  When I try to start my computer and go
into linux (RH7.0), I get this error message:

"/var/log/gdm.pid says gdm.pid is in use, but has been mysteriously
murdered"

That's not the exact message, but that's all I can remember (I'm not at
the computer in question either)

What led up to this message was I would login with a non-root id and it
would seem like X restarts.  It kept doing this repeatedly until I
rebooted, and then I got this error message.

The error message will repeat over and over with a certain number
changing each time, until I either hit CTRL-ALT-DEL or hit the reboot
button.  The screen would blank out, flicker the message for a half
second or so, and then blank out again.

Is there a solution to this problem?  Right now I can't even get to a
login screen/prompt.

--
Albert

"It is only the wisest and stupidest that cannot change."
--Confucius

2. Secondary Controller and 3rd disk

3. can't access mail in unix account

4. NSCA: "Could not log pid to file httpd.pid"

5. irda port - shows up as COM2 alias ttyS1

6. Couldn't write pid to pid file

7. Transparent proxy

8. gdm_auth_secure_display: Could not unlink /var/gdm/:0.xauth file: No such file or directory

9. restarting gdm after changing gdm.conf

10. Apache PID-file problem

11. gdm_config_parse : Can't find the gdm group (gdm) Aborting!

12. ftpd[21568]: open of pid file failed: No such file or dir