Linux & NT on 2 HDD's possible?

Post by Peter Corneliu » Sat, 30 May 1998 04:00:00

> I have just added a second ide hdd to my machine. I've been running
> Debian Linux and NT4 on my original 1.2 gig ide hdd, using a little
> utility called Doc'sBoot to start up with... I'd like to move one or the
> other to the new hard drive, a 1.5 gig ide (probably just a new install
> to the second drive...)

> Is this possible, to run two os's each on a separate drive? If so, how
> do I configure my drives.. is one still set as a mastes and the other as
> a slave? I'm using an AMD 586.

> I've checked the HOWTO's and not found anything relating to actually
> using multiple drives.

While I haven't actually done this, I have been told that lilo and the
NT loader do not support booting to multiple drives.  The suggestion
made to me was to partition the first drive and install both OS's.  Use
this as your boot drive.  Then partition the second drive to be used for
data and programs.  Currently I run Linux and Win 95 with linux on my
slave drive.  I boot to linux with a floppy.  It's not the cleanest
arangment but it does work.

Linux & NT on 2 HDD's possible?

Post by Love of the Putr » Sat, 30 May 1998 04:00:00

On Fri, 29 May 1998 11:26:58 -0700, Peter Cornelius

>> I have just added a second ide hdd to my machine. I've been running
>> Debian Linux and NT4 on my original 1.2 gig ide hdd, using a little
>> utility called Doc'sBoot to start up with... I'd like to move one or the
>> other to the new hard drive, a 1.5 gig ide (probably just a new install
>> to the second drive...)

>> Is this possible, to run two os's each on a separate drive? If so, how
>> do I configure my drives.. is one still set as a mastes and the other as
>> a slave? I'm using an AMD 586.

>> I've checked the HOWTO's and not found anything relating to actually
>> using multiple drives.

>While I haven't actually done this, I have been told that lilo and the
>NT loader do not support booting to multiple drives.  The suggestion
>made to me was to partition the first drive and install both OS's.  Use
>this as your boot drive.  Then partition the second drive to be used for
>data and programs.  Currently I run Linux and Win 95 with linux on my
>slave drive.  I boot to linux with a floppy.  It's not the cleanest
>arangment but it does work.

My machine at work has two hard drives.  NT occupies the first 1gig
HD, and the two gig second HD has three partitions as follows:

1: 950 meg NTFS (for M$ developer network data)
2: 50 meg FAT (for file sharing)
3: 1 gig ext2 (for linux, duh)

I could just as easily have made it work using the entire second hard
drive for linux.  Here's what you must do:

1. Set up the hard drives, one as master, and another as slave, like
you said.

2. Partition the second drive with swap and whatever other partitions
you'd like for your new linux home.

3. Migrate linux to the new drive.  Refer to this howto for
instructions:
http://sunsite.unc.edu/LDP/HOWTO/mini/Hard-Disk-Upgrade.html

4. Setup the NT bootloader and linux lilo to work together.  Refer to
these instructions:
http://sunsite.unc.edu/LDP/HOWTO/mini/Linux+NT-Loader.html

        I have done all of this and it works perfectly.  If you want

(deleting the spambot deterrent from my address before you do so) and
I can help you more with it.

-Jimmy

Linux & NT on 2 HDD's possible?

Post by (Mladen » Sat, 30 May 1998 04:00:00

On Fri, 29 May 1998 11:26:58 -0700, Peter Cornelius

>>While I haven't actually done this, I have been told that lilo and the
>>NT loader do not support booting to multiple drives.

Not correct!! You can boot to multiple drives.
I have my Linux-Win95-WinNT on one EIDE and two SCSI drives and works
perfect.
You just need to make good strategy in installing order and choose
lilo or NT os loader to boot (would recommend NT loader)
Win95 must be on the first drive/partition (except if you have
motherboard which gives you possibility to boot SCSI drive first since
IDE drives are comming in front of SCSI brothers). Linux kernel must
be in the first 1024 cilinders (0-1023) of a drive (regardless on
drive/partition) and WinNT you can put anywhere.
There is a progg named System Commander to make it for you if you are
not familiar with this topic (you can lost all your data by mistake)

regards,

Mladen

Mladen Loncar
Building Managment System Admin