1. Newbie seeking first RH5.2 install advice
I was an unwilling subject to the hype and ease of Linux versus Windows.
I have gotten tired of my Windows crashing and losing hardware. Having a
passable experience with OS/2 Warp 3 I decided that maybe its time to
jump on the Linux wagon. Boy, was I in over my head! I thought the DOS
command line was bad twenty years ago, and then OS/2, but Linux is a
whole other world completely. I'm sure it's all transparent after the
setup is complete, but man...
In these newsgroups I have read horror stories about writing or
modifying hardware drivers, weird command line formats, and placing
things in the path statement (at least the last is simular to OS/2) to
get anything to work. For this reason, I threw together a basic computer
just dedicated to Linux. After reading about WIN hardware problems, I
decided to find as much generic stuff as possible, buying most of it
used. My test system looks like this:
100m IDE internal ZIP
Panasonic 24X IDE CD Rom
SB16 sound card (not PNP Vibra)
Trident 9400cxi 2m video card
generic 33.6 AT&T modem
I originally wanted to use System Commander to boot Linux or OS/2 but
decided to just get used to Linux first. Am I going to have any problems
with the above combination?
2. How to set REMOTEHOST - solved!
3. Newbie question: installing KDE 1.0 under RH5.0
4. Sorry, modem busy
5. newbie: RH5.1 install
6. Debian 2.0 setup troubles(SCSI) ?
7. (Newbie)LILO, HD Setup, and RH5 Install
8. SIS 620 Finally Works In High Resolution, just had to go to their website for the linux drivers, duh :)
9. RH5.2 + CodeCrusader newbie install
10. Newbie-Q: Partition suggestions for new install RH5.1
11. Newbie: problem installing RH4 or RH5.1
12. newbie can't install rh5, HD failure
13. Newbie RH5.0 Install problems