Trouble setting up an internet router with RedHat 4.0

Trouble setting up an internet router with RedHat 4.0

Post by VanderBi » Fri, 30 May 1997 04:00:00

Hello all,

For a while I've installed on a nice 386dx40 with 20M ram the RedHat
distribution of Linux. Now that I understand most of its tricks, I am
trying to get it to work as a router of the local (windows 3.11 and
95) machines to the internet.

I've got the PPP-dialer bit to work allright. (Although I have to
remove the default route manually before the ppp0 iface will take the
default route??) I can ping machines on the internet and telnet to
them from the Linux machine. The tricky thing though is that the
windows machines on the network don't get a ping response at all,
mostly "request timed out". Before anyone says anthing about "setting
the default gateway" etc, we also have a Cisco router that works just
fine for the Windows thingies, but that only connects to a private
machine somewhere else.

I suspect I've got something wrong in the routing table on the Linux
machine, but I don't know what. *sigh*  For debugging purposes and
maybe nice advice, I've added the output of a "route -n".

Hoping to hear from anybody what I did wrong,

Gert-Jan van de Bilt,
Delft, Netherlands.

Kernel IP routing table
Destination Gateway     Genmask         Flags Metric Ref    Use Iface
194.109.2.12  0.0.0.0   255.255.255.255 UH    0      0        0 ppp0
200.190.190.0 0.0.0.0   255.255.255.0   U     0      0        8 eth0
127.0.0.0     0.0.0.0      255.0.0.0       U      0      0        5 lo
0.0.0.0    194.109.2.12  0.0.0.0         UG    0      0        0 ppp0

1. RedHat "Official" 4.0 Troubles

Hi all,

I had RedHat Linux 3.0.3 working just great and I then purchased
the "official" V 4.0 2 CD package and did an upgrade. Now I am running
into the following difficulties does anyone know what the problems
might be? RedHat is apparently so busy that I have yet to
get a response from my last query.

1. Logging in as root I can not start up X; if I log in as a non-root
   user X starts up without any problems. When I try to startx
   I get the following error:

    "/usr/X11R6/bin/init : file or directory not found"

and this error varies if I execute directly in the /usr/X11R6/bin
directory. My PATH does point to this directory. The error messages
are so varied that I can't recall the exact syntax for each error
and I am e-mailing from another machine (see item 3).

2. Emacs takes a very long time to start up.

3. Networking no longer operates. The old networking scripts I had
   written (ppp-on,etc.) no longer work as chat seems to be broken.
   When I run the script it essentially tells me that the -l option
   no longer works. However, the man page for chat says it is there.
   Possibly "new" version of chat as compared to man pages. Previously
   to test my networking I could use minicom, dial into my gateway
   and CTRL + A Q out and issue a pppd command and be connected to
   the network. Now the issuing the pppd command doesn't seem to
   connect me to the network; it just sits there.

   I also tried the Network Configurator and the modem initializes,
   dials up the network, I can hear it connecting and then as with
   pppd nothing else happens.

Thanks

2. How to upgrade Linux file system to support long file name (>14)?

3. Trouble connect Redhat 4.0 with Cisco via PPP PAP authorization

4. Compiling x86 with and without frame pointer

5. Trouble Installing RedHat 4.0

6. Linux talking to novell?

7. still trouble with remote printing on redhat 4.0

9. Shape Ups,Men's Shape Ups,Men's Skechers Shape Ups - new styles!

10. cron troubles after upgrading to RedHat 4.0

11. Trouble connect Redhat 4.0 with Cisco via PPP PAP authorization

12. RedHat "Official" 4.0 Troubles

13. Troubles with Adaptec 1542CP and RedHat 4.0