upgrade kernel 2.2 from kernel 2.0.x without install redhat 6.0

upgrade kernel 2.2 from kernel 2.0.x without install redhat 6.0

Post by Leo » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

I installed Redhat linux 5.2 on my pc. The kernel is 2.0.36. Can I
upgrade kernel to kernel2.2 without install redhat linux 6.0 (kernel is
2.2). Which patches do I need? Where can I download?

Thanks in advance

Leon

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/

upgrade kernel 2.2 from kernel 2.0.x without install redhat 6.0

Post by jkl.. » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Yes, it is possible (though you'll need some time for compiling and may
will have one or two tough problems). Get the kernel sources from
ftp.xx.kernel.org
where xx is your country code, unpack them into /usr/src/linux and then
READ THE FILE Documentation/CHANGES ! (I mean it, it's important). Then,
get the software you'll need (if you want to use IPv6, you'll need GLibC 2.1.1,
which takes lots of space to compile). Next, compile all the stuff you have
now, install it and have fun.
Btw.: If you're not feeling adventorous, you might as well get the packages
from ftp.redhat.com. I spent about a day only doing the most basic compilations
and about a week RPMizing all this stuff. But still, this was an interesting
expirience.

upgrade kernel 2.2 from kernel 2.0.x without install redhat 6.0

Post by Davi » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Leo,

Go to the RedHat website under download click on "Updates, Fixes, &
Errata"  then go to "Linux tips, tricks & howtos" in the yellow bar.  The
second line down is "Upgrading to the 2.2.x Kernel".  This is the full
documentation on how to upgrade your kernel using RedHat 5.2 including the
RPMs you need to upgrade.  This is what I followed and it worked great.

David

                    http://www.searchlinux.com