CD-ROM drive (Mitsumi FX001D) trouble

Post by H. Ler » Fri, 01 Nov 1996 04:00:00

Has there anyone ever managed to install Linux from a Mitsumi FX001D
CD-ROM drive connected to a sound card?
I have spent many sleepless nights to figure this out. Recently
someone told me that the cause of failure might be a wrong DMA
setting.
Can anyone help me?
Hubert

PS: I know of a warm boot but want to boot from Linux.

Post by Rich Abbo » Tue, 05 Nov 1996 04:00:00

> Has there anyone ever managed to install Linux from a Mitsumi
> FX001D CD-ROM drive connected to a sound card?

Hubert,

I have the same CD-ROM, and it is connected to a SoundBlaster
16 MCD via the card's Mitsumi port.  In addition, I have used
this CD-ROM under Linux with its own proprietary interface
board.  It has always worked well for me (although it's a
very slow drive by today's standards, and you can now get a 10x
IDE CD-ROM drive for less than $120).

If the I/O address and/or IRQ for your setup are not identical
to the Mitsumi factory defaults, the trick you need to use is
the "mcd=" command.  For example, on my system I supply the
string "mcd=0x314,10" to the kernel when booting...this means
that my setup uses I/O address 314 hex, and IRQ 10.

For initial booting, this string may be typed at the boot:
prompt as in "boot: linux mcd=0x314,10."

Once this string is supplied (if you're a LILO user, I think
it ends up in lilo.conf), your CD will be recognized and a
status line confirming that will be shown during boot.

Good luck!

Rich

CD-ROM drive (Mitsumi FX001D) trouble

Post by H. Ler » Thu, 07 Nov 1996 04:00:00

Rich,

 >it's a very slow drive by today's standards, and you can now get a
10x

Quote:>IDE CD-ROM drive for less than $120.

I know. I am thinking about buying one.

Quote:>If the I/O address and/or IRQ for your setup are not identical
>to the Mitsumi factory defaults, the trick you need to use is
>the "mcd=" command.  For example, on my system I supply the
>string "mcd=0x314,10" to the kernel when booting...this means
>that my setup uses I/O address 314 hex, and IRQ 10.

That's exactly my problem. According to the manual the defaults are
360h (I/O) and 12 (IRQ). I tried these values but to no avail. I've
checked a whole bunch of values including your settings, but linux
couldn't find the drive.

Quote:>For initial booting, this string may be typed at the boot:
>prompt as in "boot: linux mcd=0x314,10."

Tried this one too (see above).

Is there a way to find out about the factory defaults (they seem to be
different from the ones in the manual) or the probe?

Regards,
Hubert

Post by Donald Harve » Mon, 11 Nov 1996 04:00:00

> Rich,

>  >it's a very slow drive by today's standards, and you can now get a
> 10x
> >IDE CD-ROM drive for less than $120.

> I know. I am thinking about buying one.

> >If the I/O address and/or IRQ for your setup are not identical
> >to the Mitsumi factory defaults, the trick you need to use is
> >the "mcd=" command.  For example, on my system I supply the
> >string "mcd=0x314,10" to the kernel when booting...this means
> >that my setup uses I/O address 314 hex, and IRQ 10.

> That's exactly my problem. According to the manual the defaults are
> 360h (I/O) and 12 (IRQ). I tried these values but to no avail. I've
> checked a whole bunch of values including your settings, but linux
> couldn't find the drive.

> >For initial booting, this string may be typed at the boot:
> >prompt as in "boot: linux mcd=0x314,10."

> Tried this one too (see above).

> Is there a way to find out about the factory defaults (they seem to be
> different from the ones in the manual) or the probe?

> Regards,
> HubertI too have a Mitsumi drive.  You can check your config.sys file for a

device=mtmcdae.sys or device=mtmcdas.sys line.  The number following
the /i: switch is the IRQ channel(the default is 10).  The number
following the /p: switch is the port address (the default is 300h).  To
permit the drive to operate on your system though these values may
differ.

I have to say though that allow I got Linux to recognize my CDROM it
would not mount it during installation.  Good luck with your
installation though.

Don Harvey

1. Problem with Mitsumi CD-ROM Drive FX001D

Hi!
I'm trying to instal LINUX from Slakware CD-ROM, during booting from the
boot disk I get the following warnings/errors:
"warning bdflush not running"
"mcdx  =init() allocation failed"
The CD-ROM drive works ok under DOS.

Does anybody has experienced this problem? how can I fix it?

Please kindly respond directly to my E-mail account:

Thanks in advance and Season's Greetings

Abraham
----------------

2. Yet another xf86config video prob.

3. DOSEMU and Mitsumi FX001D CD-ROM

4. Fatal Server Error

5. SB Pro 2.0 8 bit stereo / Mitsumi FX001D CD-Rom & Workman Volume ???

6. cout doesn't work???

7. Yggdrasil summer '94 & Mitsumi FX001D CD-ROM

8. harware probs with RH5.2

9. Help: Mitsumi CD-ROM model FX001D

10. Mitsumi FX001D CD-Rom

11. Problem with mounting Mitsumi FX001D CD-ROM during installation of Slackware 2.0

12. FreeBSD 2.1.5 and Mitsumi FX001D Double speed CD-ROM.

13. Mitsumi FX001D/S reads XA CD ROM