Installing Redhat 6.1 for first time....Help

Installing Redhat 6.1 for first time....Help

Post by tvolt.. » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

I'm a Linux newbie, although I'm an experienced OS/2 user.  I'm trying to install Linux
I have sufficient freespace on my drive as follows:
c: primary dos - fat
c: primary win95 - fat
d: logical  data - fat
FREESPACE - 16 meg (for Linux kernal) - below 1023 cylinder
e: logical os/2 boot
f: logical os/2 data
FREESPACE - 1.5 GIG
When I try to install, I set the mount point for the kernal using /boot
and the main partition as /......

Question 1 - What is the correct mount point for the swap partiton? /usr? /home?
Question 2 - I don't get a [next] button highlighted (it's greyed out] and I can't
proceed further.  How do I get to the screen which allows me to format the partitions?

Any help would be appreciated.

Tom Voltaggio
Team OS/2 - Southern New Jersey  USA

Installing Redhat 6.1 for first time....Help

Post by Stephen Tor » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

[posted and mailed]

Well first you will need to put the boot partition in your 16MB freespace.
When you create that partition use: /boot, for the name. This is where boot
files will be located (obvious, yes, bear with me please). Since it looks
like you only have one hard drive then you will only have one drive to
choose from when creating this.

Second, create a swap partition. When I installed 6.0 there was the option
in disk druid to create a swap partition in the partition list. I choose
that and gave it a size of 128 MB (I have 64MB of memory). So after this
you will see one partition for boot and one for swap.

Finally, create the root partition. I don't find it necessary for home
users to go into complex partitoning. Just create a partition with the
name, / , and give it say 1GB and set it to growable. This will allow the
partition to grow as there is need.

So this set up should give: /boot (boot files), swap, / (root).
I cannot give you actual step-by-step menu instructions since my laptop is
down right beast in the video card department. Give me a message if you are
still stuck.

Stephen

Quote:>I'm a Linux newbie, although I'm an experienced OS/2 user.  I'm trying

Post by Camelia Nastas » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

> I'm a Linux newbie, although I'm an experienced OS/2 user.  I'm trying to install Linux
> I have sufficient freespace on my drive as follows:
> c: primary dos - fat
> c: primary win95 - fat
> d: logical  data - fat
> FREESPACE - 16 meg (for Linux kernal) - below 1023 cylinder
> e: logical os/2 boot
> f: logical os/2 data
> FREESPACE - 1.5 GIG
> When I try to install, I set the mount point for the kernal using /boot
> and the main partition as /......

> Question 1 - What is the correct mount point for the swap partiton? /usr? /home?

swap doesn't require a mount point, so leave it the way it is

Quote:> Question 2 - I don't get a [next] button highlighted (it's greyed out] and I can't
> proceed further.  How do I get to the screen which allows me to format the partitions?

you should have a Done button. hit Tab till you get that button
highlighted, then hit enter.

Camelia N.

--
Camelia Nastase

Installing Redhat 6.1 for first time....Help

Post by QuestionExchang » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Quote:>Question 1 - What is the correct mount point for the swap

partiton? /usr? /home?
Leave the mount point blank for your swap partition; it doesn't
get mounted in the way other filesystems do.
Quote:>Question 2 - I don't get a [next] button highlighted (it's

greyed out] and I can't proceed further. How do I get to the
screen which allows me to format the partitions?
Are you using fdisk or DiskDruid?  It sounds like the latter;
if so, F12 should get you to the next screen.  You can also use
<tab> to highlight it.  The only thing it really requires is a
/ partition be created.

--
  This answer is courtesy of QuestionExchange.com
  http://www.questionexchange.com/servlet3/qx.usenetGuest.showUsenetGue...