Boot Linux Again

Post by Eric Woo » Fri, 12 Dec 1997 04:00:00

I installed RH 5.0 fine.  I then installed Win 95 and another partition
and now only Win 95 boots.  How can I get Linux to boot again.  I guess
I need to use those rescue disks?
-eric

Boot Linux Again

Post by Eric Woo » Sat, 13 Dec 1997 04:00:00

I just did an upgrade and it reran lilo for me... everything is okay...

> I installed RH 5.0 fine.  I then installed Win 95 and another partition
> and now only Win 95 boots.  How can I get Linux to boot again.  I guess
> I need to use those rescue disks?
> -eric

Boot Linux Again

Post by Miguel Garci » Sat, 13 Dec 1997 04:00:00

> I installed RH 5.0 fine.  I then installed Win 95 and another partition
> and now only Win 95 boots.  How can I get Linux to boot again.  I guess
> I need to use those rescue disks?
> -eric

        I have not worked with RH, but with Slackware, but I think your problem
was that W95 overwrote your boot sector, so you need to use your repair
disks, boot Linux and reinstall LILO. You need to configure Linux with
the partition W95 uses (make your W95 partition visible to LILO ), and
then I think you will be able to boot with LILO W95 or RH.
                        Hope I've been useful for you

                                Miguel Garcia

Boot Linux Again

Post by Bria » Sun, 14 Dec 1997 04:00:00

Hi Eric:

No problem. W95 does this all the time.

You must download three files from 'sunsite.unc.edu'. They
can be found at '/pub/Linux/distributions/slackware/'
directory.

You require 'bare.i' from '/bootdsks.144/',
and 'rescue.gz' from '/rootdsks/',
and 'rawrite.exe' from '/rootdsks/'.

Format 3 good 3 1/2" 1.44 MB floppy discs (in DOS or W95);
they must be perfect, no bad sectors.

Mark one floppy disc 'Boot Image' and one 'Rescue' and
one 'Linux Boot Disc'.

Put the freshly formatted floppy disk called 'Boot Image'
into the A: drive.

Run 'rawrite.exe' as follows,

C:\> rawrite bare.i a <enter>

Number of sectors per track for this disk is 18
Writing image to drive A:. Press ^C to abort.
Track: 32  Head:  1 Sector:  4
Done.

Remove your new 'Boot Image' and place the 'Rescue'
disk in it's place. Same deal, type as follows,

C:\> rawrite rescue.gz a <enter>

Number of sectors per track for this disk is 18
Writing image to drive A:. Press ^C to abort.
Track: 29  Head:  0 Sector:  10
Done.

You now have a way to boot an elemental Linux 2.0.30
rescue operating system.

Place your 'Boot Image' floppy disk into drive A:
and reboot!

When the computer restarts, you will be presented
with a text notice. It will then stop and wait for
you to enter any special instructions (there are none),
just hit <enter>.

LILO

(read the notice)

boot: <enter>

VFS: Insert root floppy to be loaded into ramdisk and press ENTER
(VFS = virtual file system)

Remove the 'Boot Image' floppy disk from the A: drive and replace
it with the 'Rescue' floppy disk and hit <enter>.

More text and then,

login: root <enter>

At the '#' prompt type,

mount /dev/hda4 /mnt <enter>

This mounts your Linux partition at '/mnt' directory,

cd /mnt <enter>

You are now in your Linux partition's 'root' directory,
ls <enter>

Look for 'vmlinuz' (note spelling). If your are running a
Slackware installation, you will find 'vmlinuz' in the
'/dev/hda4' partitions root directory.

If you are running a RedHat installation, look for
'vmlinuz' in the '/mnt/boot/' directory.

You will have to configure 'vmlinuz' for booting from a
floppy to your '/dev/hda4' partition.

Type as follows,

rdev vmlinuz /dev/hda3 <enter>

Change your floppy disc to the one called 'Linux Boot Disc'
and type,

cp vmlinuz /dev/fd0 <enter>

When it is done, type,

reboot <enter>

You should now reboot into your Linux installation using
the floppy as a boot disk.

I always boot my Linux installations from floppy discs
(I have 5 Linux partitions plus a swap partition).

If you have any trouble or need help, please feel free to
e-mail me.

I hope this helps you out. Let me know what happens.

Regards,

Brian.

>I installed RH 5.0 fine.  I then installed Win 95 and another
partition
>and now only Win 95 boots.  How can I get Linux to boot again.  I
guess
>I need to use those rescue disks?
>-eric

Boot Linux Again

Post by William Justice Blac » Sun, 21 Dec 1997 04:00:00

Try downloading the following DOS program and running it under MS-DOS mode
in Win95 in a temporary directory:

ftp://ftp.cdrom.com/pub/FreeBSD/tools/osbs135.exe

Read through the docs, and look for OS-BS.COM.  It is a VERY small (fits
entirely in the MBR) boot loader that can boot an arbitrary partition on
the primary HD.  Lilo is more flexible and more powerful, but OS-BS is
very easy to use and can be reinstalled at the drop of a hat.

--

1. Dual booting system; Windows2000 keep formatting linux partition to NTFS again and again

I'm using Red Hat 6 and windows 2000 professional.
GRUB is doing my dual booting.

It works fine right after when I set those up BUT during the last month
Windows was formatting Linux partition to NTFS 3 times.
I found that from windows and I see new volume has been added.
Then, of course, it's not bootable, since GRUB is no longer there.
I had  to reinstall Linux.

Does any one had similar problem?
-Kevin

2. Linux, samba, and MS Mail

3. citrus resolve -hedonist problem

4. Linux fails to boot after dual-booting Windows 95;Reinstall LILO and it works again!?

5. Quick Question on XFree863.1.2B

6. Building Glibc 2.1.2 again, again and again

7. redhat archives 4 out yet?

8. Splitting c.o.l Again, and Again, and AGAIN!!!

9. Again, again, and again

10. LinuxMall spams again and again and again...

11. boot the system without the help of boot floppy(again)

12. Need HELP WITH Triple Boot - Win98, Win2k, RH Linux (again)!