Slackware 3.0 probs 'xsetroot'

Post by Paul M Sarge » Sat, 07 Oct 1995 04:00:00

Now Heres a wierd one.

I've just upgraded to Slackware 3.0. About time I changed over to ELF, nice.

Backup everything...
Start Slackware disks...
reformat drive...
install...
restore root & home...
reconfig X and other stuff...
lets go...

BUT

I run up X-windows (runx, startx) everything seems to work fine until I
want to change VC. ALT-^F? switches back to text mode, but things are
completely dead (blank screen).

So I try to change back, No way.
OK, three finger salute? (yes, it is hooked), still dead...
Looks now way out so I hit the big button and reboot that way.

try it again, but this time just exiting from X normally. Oh dear looks
dead again, but I can change VC and then when I change back X decides it
can finally shut down. The final message given is 'X server slow to shut
down'.

I've finally traced this down to xsetroot being run in my system xinitrc.
How can such a minor program cause such problems?!

Any Ideas??? btw I'm using XFree86 3.1.2 with the W32 server.

Help

Paul

Microelectronics,
Brunel University, London U.K.

1. Installing 'X' from SlackWare 2.2.0 in a SlackWare 3.0 system?

I've downloaded and installed all of SlackWare v.3.0 except for the X
Window system and utils and NTex.  I'm getting ready to download the rest
of SlackWare 3.0, however I do have SlackWare 2.2 on CD-ROM.

Would it be alright if I just use the X Window system that's in SlackWare
2.2 in my SlackWare 3.0 system?  Are they both the same version (except
one is compiled for ELF and the other is compiled for a.out)?  In fact,
wouldn't it be better for me to use the a.out version of X Window because
(from what I heard) a.out is faster than ELF and I have no plans of doing
any mods to the X Window source (is it included BTW?).  Or is there
enough significant differences between the SlackWare 3.0 X Window and
SlackWare 2.2 X Window that it'll be worth my time to download all 20+
disks of the 3.0 SlackWare X Window package?

Thanks!

Arcadio

2. gcc295 fail to compile C++ programs in FreeBSD 3.3

3. can't load library 'libgdbm.so.2' with Slackware 3.0 installation

4. no keyboard in cde

5. small tricky printing problem with samba

6. Slackware 3.0 'usr/include' problem

7. Get access via telnet

8. Xfilemanager: 'Segmentation fault' (Slackware 3.0)

9. Slackware 3.0 'ascsi' boot disk is 1.3.18 (I want 1.2.13)

10. HELP: Slackware 3.0 crashes on 'SETUP'

11. Configuring X from Slackware 3.0 on a 'Gateway 2000'

12. cut'n'paste not working with upgraded slackware 3.0