HELP: disks report to be full, and du indicates strange things

HELP: disks report to be full, and du indicates strange things

Post by Bruno Boettch » Fri, 05 Jun 1998 04:00:00

hello,

making df, indicate that my /usr partition is full, making a du -s and
making the sum by hand indicates that 250MB are free, making a du -s .
indicates that in fact the disc is full. Now i have in /usr only directories
so the sum of the directories should equal the disk usage or am i wrong?

and other fact: even if i remove things, the df reports that the free
space remains 0Bytes.....

something seems really wrong here, and i would appreciate any help....

system is a Ppro200 with 2940UW SCSI controller and linux 2.1.99

http://sneezy.u-strasbg.fr/~bboett

HELP: disks report to be full, and du indicates strange things

Post by Bruno Boettch » Sat, 06 Jun 1998 04:00:00

Hi,
forgot to mention, that on shutdown the partition is reported as busy, even if
i kill by hand all running daemons and applications.....
and e2fsck doesn't find any unusual problem afterwards on the disk....

Post by Matthew J. Franci » Sat, 06 Jun 1998 04:00:00

> hello,

> making df, indicate that my /usr partition is full, making a du -s and
> making the sum by hand indicates that 250MB are free, making a du -s .
> indicates that in fact the disc is full. Now i have in /usr only directories
> so the sum of the directories should equal the disk usage or am i wrong?

> and other fact: even if i remove things, the df reports that the free
> space remains 0Bytes.....

Have you figured in the reserved blocks count? The ext2 filesystem, by
default, reserves a certain amount of space exclusively for the root user,
so that when some mere mortal fills up all the disk space, system daemons
and the like don't come crashing to a * halt for lack of room.

You can change the amount reserved for each partition; see "man tune2fs".
It's probably not a good idea to push this too low on the partition where
the root directory ("/") is, but other partitions probably won't need
nearly as much as the default (5%, IIRC).

Also remember that files are stored in finite blocks, and just adding file-
sizes won't take end-of-file lossage into account.

Cheers,
-Matt.

"The results of this intrusion into your life will be used 'responsibly'
in ways you cannot even begin to imagine. Of course, the innocent have
nothing to fear from the rapidly expanding data industry."
 - Radiohead, Airbag/How Am I Driving?

1. du only reports 50MB when the disk is actually 600MB

I've got my root on a 600MB drive and it keeps reporting that the root
has filled up.
I have tried to do a /usr/bin/du -d -k -s /. as root and DU only reports
about 50MB
when I do a df /. it reports a 600MB drive with 540MB used up.  How can
I find
those lost MB's?

I do have some network mounted directories.  Is it possible I have
mounted a network
directory over the local harddrives directory?  If so, is there a way to
find what I have mounted
over top of without unmounting the network directories?

Thanks
   Mark

2. Hard drive partition

3. disk full : du and df disagree ??

4. HARDWARE COMPATIBILITY LIST

6. probs using ports

7. Linux Router Project (LRP) problem / please help

8. Disk full on non-full disk???

9. Proble: df reports disk full, but not true

10. Question about Strange Report of Disk Space,thanks.

11. HELP: df reports hd=100% FULL...incorrect!!!